How many are interested in a legal AMHA over sized division

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBunz

Reaction score
This is just my personal opinion... I think that forming an over sized division within the AMHA would be good for

the AMHA if this division was completely separate from American Miniature Horses.. as far as show is concerned.

Why???

1. Not loosing the bloodlines of some exceptional horses and still following the existing Rules...

2. Increasing the number of horses that might show at AMHA shows.

3. Allowing AMHR B horses to show in AMHA shows once they are registered in the NEW division.

4. Increasing the bloodlines by doing this..

5. Hopefully making cheating with over sized horses a waste of time and effort.

6. Allowing some of these better moving horses into competition.

7. Increasing registrations... therefore the AMHA piggy bank.

8. Making more shows where the miniature horse fancy can show B sized horses.

9. Providing B class shows in areas where they do not exit now..

But and this is a Big But.....

1.That they do not compete against the 34 and under horses

that now qualify under the existing Standard of Perfection..

2.That they have their own standard and official name, but keep their pedigree.

3. That resulting foals be registered in the proper division at five yrs. of age.

Now this is just my opinion and has nothing to do with C.A.R.E.

Sounds like it may be a good idea to me. I think as it is now, AMHA is best marketing "partner" AMHR's B Division could wish for.

I personally don't support this at this time. Simply because there are so many other things that need to be fixed with AMHA. This could work as a diversion from what is most important at this time. Just my humble opinion....

Edited to add that the following post by Genie rings very true to me. The purpose, as I understantd it at AMHA, is to breed the best smallest horse and this would not be furthing that goal at all. Kinda going in the wrong direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like the sound of it.

What would make AMHA different than AMHR, if this was to happen?

I may be "off base", but my opinion of AMHA is that it is a more elite registration in today's Miniature Horse world.

I am sure there will be others who disagree, as I said, It's my personal opinion of AMHA registered horses.

I may be "off base", but my opinion of AMHA is that it is a more elite registration in today's Miniature Horse world.
I agree that is the common perception. I "like" AMHR more, however, at this time wouldn't consider a breeding horse that was not AMHA/AMHR Registered simply because so many feel AMHA is more elite.

It would also allow B sized horses to be double registered..

I like the idea of a division for AMHA horses that go over; as long as they are from two AMHA registered horses. I have two that will lose there AMHA papers due to being over 34", both are from parents that are well under 34", but there must be something in the water here as both really grew once here.

Sounds like a great idea to me. I like the idea of AMHA oversized minis still being able to be used for breeding with their correct height listed on papers.

I have never been a fan of an over-sized division, but breeding for the smaller minis have never had a real need for one either. My feelings are that this would only make sense if we actually became a breed. All examples given of other registries (horses, dogs, etc) allowing animals out of their standard to be kept as breeding stock are of actual breeds. The closing of the studbook in 2013 may allow for that. Otherwise, it just seems silly to me to have an oversize registry for a height registry--doesn't that defeat the purpose?

From what I have been reading here these over sized horses are being used now to produce AMHA horses.. It it were legal maybe the right size would show

up on their registration papers and stud book allowing the rest of us the choice to breed with more knowledge.. and know exactly how tall they are..

From what I have been reading here these over sized horses are being used now to produce AMHA horses.. It it were legal maybe the right size would show up on their registration papers and stud book allowing the rest of us the choice to breed with more knowledge.. and know exactly how tall they are..
To me this would get support from people who have oversized horses....for their personal reasons. But it would not be for the betterment of the association. Then you also get into what to do with all the horses whose papers have been turned in....... If everyone played by the rules it would be so much easier....members and directors and just everyone involved!

If you do a search you should come up with some information on this as it has been brought up several times, but Robin-LFK had a detailed proposal wrote up on this subject a few years ago....

I am not interested in an "over" divison. But I am interested in a "breeding stock" division. They wouldn't be eligible for show, but could produce registerable offspring.

I am not interested in an "over" divison. But I am interested in a "breeding stock" division. They wouldn't be eligible for show, but could produce registerable offspring.
You said it better than I could have; I agree with Matt on this.

I like this, too (althought I LOVE my B horses for driving!) I have turned in papers on two horses that went oversize- WAY oversize, like 37"! The one we were concerned he would top out in R, too! Fortunately he stopped at 37.5". Both were off the same farm... out of "supposedly" under 34" horses. I dunno....
default_unsure.png

When they close the registry, and become a "breed" then, IMHO, ANY horse from a registered mini crossing, no matter what the size, is still a mini. a "purebred" American Miniature Horse.
default_wink.png

Lucy

I do not show.. but in Alberta AMHR shows are almost non existent if at all .. by allowing a B division within the AMHA more people would have a chance to show..

I, personally, would not be interested in an "over" division. I would also not be interested in a "breeding Stock" division either.

The goal of AMHA is to breed the smallest most correct horse. If you continue to use horses that are on the "taller" side, that "tall" gene will continue to pop up. The only way to get closer to the goal of the smallest horse would be to "breed out" the taller gene. This will not happen in 10, 20 years. It will take centuries. The longer we keep breeding oversized horses we are only perpetuating the chance of getting taller horses. I feel that is what AMHR is there for. Just about every horse I have is AMHA/AMHR. If they go over they have a place to go. I don't think one organization is more elite than the other. A beautiful horse is a beautiful horse no matter how it is registered.

Just my own personal opinion.
default_smile.png

Clearly labeled"for breeding only" It would be a good thing(personal opinion). To often it can happen that a 32.5 and 34 can throw a 34.25 and oops that gets tossed out of AMHA. Sure that is to AMHR's benefit but gosh there goes the blood lines and the possibilty's for that tiny under 34" that looks like a big horse. Genetics is a roll of the dice and you can never be sure what will come up even with the most careful selections.

If you want to show or breed a 34.5" horse or taller - What is WRONG with AMHR? I hope I don't get flamed for asking that question, but I have wanted to ask that for a long time.
With 1600 or so horses showing at the AMHR Nationals each year there are many of us that LOVE To show those "overs"........lots of very big classes in the over division

Latest posts

Back