How many are interested in a legal AMHA over sized division

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LisaF, I think you are taking the article too literally. I don't think they are intending for people to breed and produce as much as possible. I think it is implied that it means breed for the best you can and promote the breed, and I'd be willing to wager that most can deduce that without much trouble, so I really don't see the wording as a problem, because most people probably don't take it as literal as you are suggesting.

LisaF - Is this the quote from minimomNC you are talking about?

"QUOTE (minimomNC @ Aug 7 2008, 12:00 PM)

Please explain how having an oversize breeding stock division in AMHA will stop the cheating in the show ring? And if the oversize horses can be shown, whats to stop the cheating still, people still getting those 36" horses measured in at 34" or getting those 40" ponies measured in at 38". Raising the height will not stop cheating. Only following the measuring rules will stop that.

And still no one has answered my question about geldings, if you make an oversize division for breeding stock only, what are you going to do with the oversize geldings? Leave them stallions and breed more oversize foals?" END QUOTE

If so, I have answered the question about geldings in my post above.

As far as the 'cheating', I don't see that 'cheating' at shows has any bearing on an Oversize Division. They are two totally separate issues. The question is whether there is a better way to handle the 'oversize' horses, it is not about 'cheating' on measurement at a show. Also, from the majority of the people posting, it sounds like most people don't want to have show classes for the Oversize horses.

The only bearing 'cheating' might have to the topic of "How many are interested in a legal AMHA over sized division" is 'cheating' that is done when measuring breeding horses that DON'T show. But, even if that kind of 'cheating' goes away, there will still be oversize horses from 'honest' AMHA horses. So, you have to decide the best way to deal with them. If you don't want those horses to lose their heritage with AMHA, then having an 'honest' measurement on an Oversize horse, means you would have to have an Oversize division to put them in. So, having an Oversize Division would help cut down on breeding stock measurement 'cheating'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa - you are putting words in my mouth. Again. I did not say that you wanted to SUE AMHA anywhere. No way. No how. So please stop repeating that over and over. You DID suggest that maybe attorneys should be brought in for petitions etc. to help make AMHA enforce the rules. That is what I call legal "action" of some sort - actively engaging legal expertise. NOTE: not suing. You said sue. I did not.

I also HOPE if anyone would consider that - the HEIGHT requirement would help AMHA WIN.
AQHA thought that their white limitations as stated in their rule book would help them win. They also thought that their one foal a year from a particular mare rule would help them win. It didn't.

the way this thread has sounded I don't know how many accurate pedigree's we have at this time - because of dishonest people breeding " over sized miniatures"
Are you labelling anyone that does not measure all the horses in their pasture regularly dishonest? I hope not. Not everyone is going to fuss about a fat mare on pasture not getting lower than 34 1/4"...

I think it is unfair to paint everyone with a wide brush of dishonesty and condemnation here.

Accurate pedigrees in some mini lines are pretty much wishful thinking. Especially when certain large "foundation" farms *coughdellteracough* (and even some more present day ones, I hear) ran multiple stallions with bands of mares - and then asked who you wanted to be the sire of the horse you bought? Thankfully that is in the past... but many pedigrees are far from accurate when you start going back...

Tagalong - Matt Drown - I have tried to answer every question you both have asked of me.
I have don't see either one of you answering my questions.
Sorry not to respond as quickly as you demand, Lisa... I do have 27 minis to attend to... and had to finish clipping the silver bay filly. Plus I need to settle in a new mare who is very unhappy with her grouchy neighbour(s) - another stall shuffle is called for, I guess. Sitting down at the computer thus has a very low priority...

Tagalong - I will write this the same way you wrote it on Page 7 - The conformation on a shorter 28" horse is NOT going to be the same as a 36" horse. Height can and does affect conformation. - That is where I thought you were saying a 28" horse can not have as good of conformation as a 36" horse. If I am wrong on what you meant - please explain it to me.
Height DOES affect conformation IMO. A well-put together 36" horse - let's say 34" for AMHA - will be leggier - and more horse-like in balance to most eyes. A 28" and under horse may lack that "horse" balance and yet still be well put together for his size and proportions. The lower size divisions at the shows have less entries all the time as they usually do not stand up against the taller ones as well. There are always exceptions, of course. JMO.

So, I would really appreciate some answers to my questions. If you want me to understand or to see your side of things - then I need my questions answered also.

Like I said before to you and Matt Drown - I would like for some of my questions to be answered too. If they can't be - then how am I suppose to see the other side? I have NOT seen either of you answer the question bolded in red above. Althought, that is not the only question I would like answered.
Bolding mine.
default_unsure.png

Lisa - I am not even sure which questions you mean any more, to be honest. I will post this and go back and try to figure out what you are being so antagonistic about...

There was no question in that post bolded in red, by the way. This was red... What about minimomNC ORIGINAL Question and I have quoted it twice

*confused*

ETA:

As far as the 'cheating', I don't see that 'cheating' at shows has any bearing on an Oversize Division. They are two totally separate issues. The question is whether there is a better way to handle the 'oversize' horses, it is not about 'cheating' on measurement at a show. Also, from the majority of the people posting, it sounds like most people don't want to have show classes for the Oversize horses.
Exactly right, R3.

OK, my opinion on this question:

QUOTE (minimomNC @ Aug 6 2008, 03:21 PM)

Another thing is where do you stop with the oversize? 36" 38" 40"? when will an oversize horses cease to be a miniature horse. And once you set the height, what will you do when the pastures are then full of horses 2" or taller than the top height? When will enough be enough. We can't seem to keep over 34" horses from being used now. How will we as an association be better prepared to handle it if you raise the height." END QUOTE

The horses are Oversize when the exceed 34". They would cease to be AMHA 'Miniature' horses when they exceed 34". That is why there would be a SEPARATE division for them, they would not be AMHA, but a different category, under the AMHA umbrella. (Just as there are Shetland, Miniatures, and Show Poniews all in one Registry) However, these Oversize horses would be allowed to produce foals that would be eligible for AMHA papers, IF they were bred to an AMHA horse, and the resulting foal did not exceed the AMHA Standard of Perfection.

I personally do not see a need to set a 'top' limit on the height. To me, it would be self-limiting, if the intention of people using these horses as breeding stock is to produce foals that stay under 34". There would be little demand to breed a 38" or 40" horse if you wanted a small foal. So, even though the taller horses might be eligible for the Oversize division, it doesn't mean that there will be a big rush of people using the 'extra' tall horses in their breeding program. But, if a person wants to use taller horses, that is their decision. They are the ones taking the risk that the foal may end up too tall for AMHA papers.

And, if there was an Oversize division, then there would be no reason for the heights listed on the horses to be wrong, as there would be no stigma for being over 34". So, anyone buying horses would know the genetic history, and could decide whether they wanted those genes in their breeding program or not.

Well said, R3 - I agree.

Tagalong - I am NOT putting words in your mouth - Please read what " YOUR" Quote above to me.
I will say again - I WOULD NEVER SUPPORT LEGAL ACTION AGAINST AMHA!

We must have communication issues - So, I am going to leave it at that - as far as my discussion with you.
Lisa - I explained what I meant in my last post. I am not sure what more I can do. I guess it is not what you wanted to hear - or you have decided not to believe me. I never said SUE.
default_no.gif

If you want to continue to get after me about things I did not say - please do so in PMs so as not to sidetrack the thread. Thanks.

LisaF - If you have specific questions (pertaining to this topic) that you would like answers for, it would help if you would state them again, rather than just say, "I would also like some of my other questions answered." and "I have asked SEVERAL questions that have yet to be answered." These general references to past questions don't help anyone get and answer for you. Most people don't have time to go back through 10 pages and find which questions you asked, and whether someone responded to that particular question yet, or not.

It would make it easier to keep track of what you are want wanting to know, if you would number the questions, with only one item in each.

For example: (using minimomNC's questions, I just answered):

1. Where do you stop with the oversize? 36" 38" 40"?

2. When will an oversize horses cease to be a miniature horse?

3. Once you set the height, what will you do when the pastures are then full of horses 2" or taller than the top height? When will enough be enough. We can't seem to keep over 34" horses from being used now.

4. How will we as an association be better prepared to handle it if you raise the height?

If you state the questions again, and make them separate and distinct, it is much easier for someone to answer you. Just a suggestion.

LisaF - just read your previous post. The Oversize division WOULD NOT change the Standard of Perfection. It would STAY at 34". ONLY horses 34" or less would be allowed to show. There would be no 36" horses showing as AMHA horses.

The goal of breeders would still be to produce horses that matured at 34" or less, so that would be the 'self-limiting' part. Breeders wouldn't want to end up with tall foals, so they would try to keep the horses small. There would be no benefit to a breeder to breed an Oversize horse and produce an oversize foal. So, the small horses would never fade away.

LisaF - just read your previous post. The Oversize division WOULD NOT change the Standard of Perfection. It would STAY at 34". ONLY horses 34" or less would be allowed to show. There would be no 36" horses showing as AMHA horses.
I think the communication issue is coming from the above statement which *could* make people think that the Standard of Perfection applies only to show horses.

There are two different issues being discussed in one thread which is leading to more confusion for some.

An oversize breeding stock foundation has nothing to do with solving the measuring issues at shows. You are correct in that AMHR has many trying to show horses a bit over not 6 inches like some have been led to believe but a inch or a bit more just like currently now in AMHA. So a valid question of how would this be different is being confused with the fact that the proposed oversize foundation would not be able to show.

Which of course leads us back to what can be done to ensure proper measuring at shows.

Lisa, First of all, you have not answered all of my questions, the important ones that I have asked, you have claimed that you don't understand the question, so, I will ask them again, but I will also answer your questions.

1. Do you oppose this idea because you don't like the idea of having taller horses, or do you oppose it because the foundation of AMHA started on 34" and under? There is a difference.

2. How do you think this will HURT the registry? And I am sorry but I don't believe that "It will wipe out all of the smaller minis" is a rational or logical answer. As stated before, most people breed for the slightly taller "A"s anyway, but there are still plenty of under 30" horses.

3. What is your position on change? And I mean any change. I don't really consider enforcing the rules and eliminating hardshipping "growth" but that is a personal opinion. But even if those were growth, let's say we fond a plausible way of enforcing all rules, and the registry was closed, after that, without change, how would we grow?

Now for some of your questions.

"I think the " AMHA Standard of Perfection" is for showing or breeding stock - I don't think we need two sets of rules - One for showing and one for breeding."

While height is stated in the standard of perfection, I don't believe it is the most important part. Conformation is most important, and height does not dictate conformation. If there were a breeding stock division, I don't believe that would be having a different set of rules, because those horses wouldn't be able to show, their purpose would be to produce horses that fit the standard of perfection, including the height restriction.

"Why should " the honest" breeder have to change the measurement height to keep " the dishonest" people happy?"

I have already answered this question. You are making a generalization here. You assume that everyone who wants this change is dishonest. You are incorrect. As I have said. I don't have an oversized mare, nor do any of my personal friends, presently, I have no gain by this rule change. You can't assume that the only people who want the change have oversized horses in their back yards, that is a ridiculous assumption. There are plenty of people in this thread alone who support the change and DO NOT have oversized horses.

"I think the first step is AMHA shows - They need to start STANDING UP - and NOT ALLOW a horse to show in the wrong height division. I don't care WHO you are."

That is a totally different subject and unrelated to the want for a breeding stock or over division. Again, I have already answered this. Enforcing rules is totally different topic, and I think most would agree with you that no matter what the rules are, they should be enforced. On a side note, I think this is slowly happening. I have heard that measuring at Regionals this year was unusually, and the rumor is that it's going to be far worse at worlds. I think the AMHA IS hearing its members and making attempts at least.

"Some say the oversize horse will always crop up - well, in my opinion if "some" people started being honest and didn't breed 34" and over miniature horses - this would eventually STOP happening."

This is also not a rational or logical assumption. Height is not a gene like for example the dwarf gene. If you have 2 dwarf carriers bred together you know you have a 25% chance of getting a dwarf, so with selective breeding, in years and years, that is something you could eliminate. There is no such prediction for height. No matter what you do there will always be minis that will go over that 34" mark, always.

"If AMHA started an over division size - then why would people pay two registries? In my opinion - Some would go to all AMHR and some would go to all AMHA - because it would save us money - we would NO LONGER need to pay money to two different registries. Wouldn't this hurt AMHA and AMHR financially?"

I don't believe it would. Many people double register their horses anyway. Many other choose to stay with one registry or the other anyway. AMHA offering an "over" division would be no different than AMHR offering an "under" division, which is already the case, if it isn't a problem now, why would it become a problem. I don't think those AMHR folks would come running to AMHA just because we offered n "over" division.

If we keep breeding "over" 34" miniature horses - there may be a day that AMHA will no longer be needed because all miniature horses will be over 34" - IMO So, wouldn't that be making us go backwards instead of forwards?

Again, this is not logical or reasonable. I really don't believe that even if this was offered, people would be trying for over horses, they just happen sometimes. Excuse me, but it's hard to even defend this statement because lack reason.

"I will say again - this seems SO SIMPLE - I love my AMHA and my AMHR horses !"

Simple to YOU, because you are taking a very literal black and white position on the topic. Most people do not see it that way. I am not saying that most people want an over division, I actually think we are pretty evenly split as far as this thread goes, but I am saying that regardless of their feeling on this, most do not see it so cut and dry, because as with anything, it really is not that simple.

1) What about the breeders over the years that have turned in their papers to AMHA when their horse went over - Would this be fair to them?

They could easily get their papers back. When papers are turned in they do not get shreaded and dissapear. AMHA has the records and they could easily re-instate the papers. And as for geldings, I say give them the breeding stock papers too, so they can keep their papers. It doesnt really make a difference and certainly doesn't hurt the breed, they cant show and they cant breed, but they can keep their papers.

2)1. Where do you stop with the oversize? 36" 38" 40"?

I don't see a necessity for a height limit on breeding stock. Again, they can't show, and the goal is still to PRODUCE under 34". It is reasonable to think that a 36" mare could produce an under 34" foal. It is NOT reasonable to think that a 40" mare is likely to produce an under 34" foal. People do have common sense. If the mare can't produce the under 34" foals people aren't going to keep breeding it.

Any horse who has breeding stock papers and can produce under 34" foals, would still be considered a miniature horse, regardless of it's height.

3. Once you set the height, what will you do when the pastures are then full of horses 2" or taller than the top height? When will enough be enough. We can't seem to keep over 34" horses from being used now.

If we consider a breeding stock division the goal height of 34" is not being changed. No horse over 34" will be allowed to show. So there is really no push for taller and taller. I don't think a height limit for breeding stock is necessary, because no matter what their height, they either are or are not producing foals under 34" and if they are not, they have no use to the breeder trying to get under 34" foals, and it will stop being bred. There would be no "top" height, because the goal would still be to produce 34" and under.

4. How will we as an association be better prepared to handle it if you raise the height?

No need, look at my answer to question 3.

And on that, I am done with this thread
default_smile.png
I think every angle of healthy debate has been hashed out. I can't defend or debate premise without reason and without logic.

Dang - my entire post just got sucked into The Void - I'll try again!

Matt, that was a well written post.

If there were a breeding stock division, I don't believe that would be having a different set of rules, because those horses wouldn't be able to show, their purpose would be to produce horses that fit the standard of perfection, including the height restriction.
This is how I feel as well. Why lose those desireable genes when a horse from two 30" parents winds up being 35"?

If you have 2 dwarf carriers bred together you know you have a 25% chance of getting a dwarf, so with selective breeding, in years and years, that is something you could eliminate. There is no such prediction for height. No matter what you do there will always be minis that will go over that 34" mark, always.
O/S horses still show up no matter how carefully we breed. They will always show up - because sometimes, size happens.
default_wink.png

The Standard of Perfection is a bit of a misnomer - as there will never be a perfect horse. But we can keep trying!

Again, they can't show, and the goal is still to PRODUCE under 34". It is reasonable to think that a 36" mare could produce an under 34" foal. It is NOT reasonable to think that a 40" mare is likely to produce an under 34" foal. People do have common sense. If the mare can't produce the under 34" foals people aren't going to keep breeding it.
Unless she is also registered AMHR of course... but yes - people breeding for that under 34" AMHA horse are not going to be using dramatically over-sized horses to try and achieve that. It would be a waste of time - and resources.

There is no black and white here - but a lot of grey layers shifting back and forth that should be discussed and examined.

3. What is your position on change? And I mean any change. I don't really consider enforcing the rules and eliminating hardshipping "growth" but that is a personal opinion. But even if those were growth, let's say we fond a plausible way of enforcing all rules, and the registry was closed, after that, without change, how would we grow?
I know this question was directed at Lisa - but it is a good one for all of us to consider.

Change is good. Any registry - any organization - needs to grow and expand with the times. Nothing is written in stone - basic guidelines can be followed and maintained (i.e. 34") but the way to get there can and does need to evolve, IMO. If we want to develop the best possible mini - then we need to be open to the best way possible to do that. And if it involves allowing an O/S breeding/non-showing registry - IMO that is a step forward. Other registries have gone that route - and not folded and crumbled. CPO Appies, BS Paints... they did not bring about the demise of ApHA or APHA. Nor did they cause the prices of high-quality Appies and Paints to crash.

And that solid-coloured cremello AQHA horse being allowed to register as the QH he is - did not bring down the walls of the AQHA, either.

default_smile.png
Just a few thoughts, anyway.

The art of progress is to preserve order amid change and to preserve change amid order [SIZE=8pt]~ Alfred North Whitehead[/SIZE]

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. [SIZE=8pt]~ Darwin[/SIZE]

2)1. Where do you stop with the oversize? 36" 38" 40"?
I don't see a necessity for a height limit on breeding stock. Again, they can't show, and the goal is still to PRODUCE under 34". It is reasonable to think that a 36" mare could produce an under 34" foal. It is NOT reasonable to think that a 40" mare is likely to produce an under 34" foal. People do have common sense. If the mare can't produce the under 34" foals people aren't going to keep breeding it.

Any horse who has breeding stock papers and can produce under 34" foals, would still be considered a miniature horse, regardless of it's height.
So you are saying that someone can have a huge horse or a haflinger and even though they are not 34" it doesnt matter their height if they are just for breeding? Sorry that is not right.

Also, you say people have common sense, well, look at those people who are breeding dwarfs, or breeding horses with short necks, long heads etc. Is that considered common sense? Some how I dont think so. If they had common sense those horses would not be used for breeding.

I dont think any oversize horses should be allowed, whether they are for show or breeding. The standard of perfection is for all AMHA horses, not just AMHA show horses.

Bailey, it is not likely that a halflinger would produce an under 34" mini. However, if it could, and if it happened to have 2 registered AMHA parents, then yes, I would think that they should keep their breeding stock papers.

oops, there I go again, I am really done this time
default_smile.png

LOL Matt.....

As I stated previously, there are other size breeds that allow horses that go over to maintain breeding stock only papers. They are not eligible to show, and when bred, MUST be bred back to a horse within the correct height requirements. Because all of the breeders I know in that breed want ponies to show and that are marketable, they try to stay within the allowed size range on their horses, and are careful who they breed the oversized ones to.

Anyone with any sense (in my opinion) is not going to breed an oversize Mni to an oversize and hope to get a 31" horse. Not to say it couldn't happen, but.... If I had an oversized mare, I would probably breed it to another pretty small stallion that hopefully would downsize the foals again and keep it within the SHOW requirements. Nobody wants to purposefully breed 'breeding stock only' horses. (I hope) That would basicly be cutting off their own nose...

It is a crap shoot, no matter what way you look at it, but with the possibility that registries do change rules from time to time, we do need to think of an avenue for the oversized IN CASE there isn't one in the future.

But if you want your minis to be 36 inches at top of the withers,and you for sure want withers. You breed 36 to 36 to 36 to 36 to 36 to 36 to 36 to 36 to36 to 36 to 36 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------generation after generatio after generation after generation.-------------------------------------------------------------------------. And then, still sometimes they will be too small and sometimes too tall.

I have refrained from posting here, but have followed this thread with interest. Many valid points have been made from both sides, and I certainly have no reason to believe that each and every person who has had input has the best interest of the AMHA (and AMHR for that matter) at heart.

It is very interesting to note that case law has already been established that Reg x Reg = Reg -- no matter what "undesirable" trait either one of the parents may have - per the existing case law established in TX with the AQHA association: the resulting foal SHALL BE Registered with the parent registry - Both AMHA & AMHR should be taking very close notes regarding this issue - it is blatently obvious that should anyone wish to do so, they could start a lawsuit and force this rule to be changed - a proactive association would take it as "Housekeeping" and clean this up within it's association rules so that they would not be left exposed to a potentially very expensive lawsuit. PLEASE DON'T READ ANYTHING INTO THIS MORE THAN THE STATEMENT BEING MADE --- I HAVE NO PERSONAL INTEREST IN A LAWSUIT WHATSOEVER!

I do think that as a breeder that we should all be very concerned about the future of our breed and just WHO will be interested in our horses in the future and not box ourselves into a corner that is detrimental to bringing new buyers into our associations. For the longest time the miniature horse was essentially sold as "lawn art" - beautiful to look at, the smaller most perfect the better.

But in recent times there has been real growth seen in the performance side of the breed - so much so that now the performance classes and the entries that they bring in probably far outweigh the entries of the halter horses alone -- that means that if the performance horses don't continue to evolve (as have the halter horses), that those numbers could diminish and in doing so, really cause great concern about the fiscal viability of our shows - and hence the fiscal viability of our breed.

We have seen real changes in the conformation of the halter horses and most would agree that these changes have been for the better - we are so far away from the "dwarfish" looking horses of the past and those breeders who have helped this cause should be commended for thier diligence.

Along that same line, we have seen very dramatic changes in our Performance horses as well - what was winning in Performance 5 years ago would likely not be winning today -- much of the influence for these changes is comming in from some of the taller horses who have not only the ability, but also the conformation to be actually able to perform better.

The trend is for even more extreme - but what is even more important is that the new buying public is looking for more extreme motion than we are even breeding now. The buyers who are used to seeing Morgans, Saddlebreds, Arabs are all very interested in a horse that not only looks conformationally correct, except far smaller than their full-size horses, BUT also who MOVES like what they are used to.

As a breeder who has dedicated over 25 years of breeding to trying to create a 34" & Under horse that not only looks like a fullsize Morgan/Arab, but also MOVES like one, I can tell you that bringing those traits and dimensions into a 34" horse is likely to only come from using taller horses and pulling the size down --- If, as a breeder I am able to do this thru years of concentrated breeding and am able to get my horses to 34" then I should be allowed to register those horses and breed them together to hopefully further refine the look & movement I am trying to achieve -- there will be some that go over 34", but many will not. Those that go over should be able to be bred back to an under 34" horse to bring the resulting foal back into the size limits, and then hopefully that foal will be able to offer some genetic strengths to further help bring about the changes I am seeking --

None of this is easy, and it all takes a lot of time and patience. Sometimes it goes great, sometimes you have to start over - but the growth of any industry is dependent upon evolving to meet the requirements of the buyers - to suggest that we will be able to grow our industry and not address the wants of those who want performance horses is truly to "cut off our nose to spite our face". With performance we will most likely be adding in height -- however, i t does not mean that it will be the demise of our industry - quite frankly, I personally believe that it is the future of our industry.

I believe that there is room for both of us: those who want to breed the smallest most perfect horse - but please dont castigate those of us who want to breed more than that and bring fabulous movement into our breed as well - we both will have a place in the future with potential buyers wanting either type of animal. But shouldn't we let that be a choice that the buyer gets to make?

Just my humble opinion -

Stacy

My story for what it's worth...l bought a filly out of a mare who herself was out of a legal foundation/oversized mare years back.This filly grew up to be a nice respectable 31.75 tall. She has been bred 3 times and produced 3 fillies in turn a 5 yr old who is a big 36.75 l call a riding horse another filly now 2 yrs old standing a nifty 36 right now and still growing and this years filly who is already taller then her dad at 2 1/2 months old at around 29 tall. All 3 of these fillies were bred to stallions under 32.5 the last being just under 28" tall. The original foundation/oversize mare l recall was bred every year and had a lot of foals before she passed away a few years back...l feel now l am stuck and paying through the nose because of the foundation/oversized mare who produced under 34 just fine but it hasn't carried forward. l bred the tall 5 yr old this spring to an under 32 stallion so am waiting to see the results on that next year. lf she foals a biggie also they are all out of here and no none of these fillies from that mare are registered because it becomes pretty clear early on they will be huge. There are people wanting grade ponies so thats what they all are and when l get rid of the mare these came from it will be without her paperwork. So no l really don't think if an oversized division just for breeding came about l would be so willing again to go that route knowing the time and cost l have put into having foals hoping for an under has been trying to say the least.. NONE of these stallions have produced anything but under foals with other mares up to 33.75 except for this one...so right or wrong l me myself for sure wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole anything called foundation over sized breeding stock. There is an upside if they are double registered then l guess you can't loose but producing R isn't what l am wanting at this point for breeding....showing an AMHR now thats different l have no problem with them in fact for performance like them better..

I have refrained from posting here, but have followed this thread with interest. Many valid points have been made from both sides, and I certainly have no reason to believe that each and every person who has had input has the best interest of the AMHA (and AMHR for that matter) at heart.
It is very interesting to note that case law has already been established that Reg x Reg = Reg -- no matter what "undesirable" trait either one of the parents may have - per the existing case law established in TX with the AQHA association: the resulting foal SHALL BE Registered with the parent registry - Both AMHA & AMHR should be taking very close notes regarding this issue - it is blatently obvious that should anyone wish to do so, they could start a lawsuit and force this rule to be changed - a proactive association would take it as "Housekeeping" and clean this up within it's association rules so that they would not be left exposed to a potentially very expensive lawsuit. PLEASE DON'T READ ANYTHING INTO THIS MORE THAN THE STATEMENT BEING MADE --- I HAVE NO PERSONAL INTEREST IN A LAWSUIT WHATSOEVER!

I do think that as a breeder that we should all be very concerned about the future of our breed and just WHO will be interested in our horses in the future and not box ourselves into a corner that is detrimental to bringing new buyers into our associations. For the longest time the miniature horse was essentially sold as "lawn art" - beautiful to look at, the smaller most perfect the better.

But in recent times there has been real growth seen in the performance side of the breed - so much so that now the performance classes and the entries that they bring in probably far outweigh the entries of the halter horses alone -- that means that if the performance horses don't continue to evolve (as have the halter horses), that those numbers could diminish and in doing so, really cause great concern about the fiscal viability of our shows - and hence the fiscal viability of our breed.

We have seen real changes in the conformation of the halter horses and most would agree that these changes have been for the better - we are so far away from the "dwarfish" looking horses of the past and those breeders who have helped this cause should be commended for thier diligence.

Along that same line, we have seen very dramatic changes in our Performance horses as well - what was winning in Performance 5 years ago would likely not be winning today -- much of the influence for these changes is comming in from some of the taller horses who have not only the ability, but also the conformation to be actually able to perform better.

The trend is for even more extreme - but what is even more important is that the new buying public is looking for more extreme motion than we are even breeding now. The buyers who are used to seeing Morgans, Saddlebreds, Arabs are all very interested in a horse that not only looks conformationally correct, except far smaller than their full-size horses, BUT also who MOVES like what they are used to.

As a breeder who has dedicated over 25 years of breeding to trying to create a 34" & Under horse that not only looks like a fullsize Morgan/Arab, but also MOVES like one, I can tell you that bringing those traits and dimensions into a 34" horse is likely to only come from using taller horses and pulling the size down --- If, as a breeder I am able to do this thru years of concentrated breeding and am able to get my horses to 34" then I should be allowed to register those horses and breed them together to hopefully further refine the look & movement I am trying to achieve -- there will be some that go over 34", but many will not. Those that go over should be able to be bred back to an under 34" horse to bring the resulting foal back into the size limits, and then hopefully that foal will be able to offer some genetic strengths to further help bring about the changes I am seeking --

None of this is easy, and it all takes a lot of time and patience. Sometimes it goes great, sometimes you have to start over - but the growth of any industry is dependent upon evolving to meet the requirements of the buyers - to suggest that we will be able to grow our industry and not address the wants of those who want performance horses is truly to "cut off our nose to spite our face". With performance we will most likely be adding in height -- however, i t does not mean that it will be the demise of our industry - quite frankly, I personally believe that it is the future of our industry.

I believe that there is room for both of us: those who want to breed the smallest most perfect horse - but please dont castigate those of us who want to breed more than that and bring fabulous movement into our breed as well - we both will have a place in the future with potential buyers wanting either type of animal. But shouldn't we let that be a choice that the buyer gets to make?

Just my humble opinion -

Stacy
I wasn't going to post on this thread at all but after reading Stacy's post I must say that this is one of the best responses on here. Very well thought out and well said.

Just my unprofessional opinion: I think it's a good idea. I think it would be a bummer if I couln't register and show my horse just because he was a bit over 34". Sure I could do AMHR, but wouldn't AMHA like my money, too?

Stacy, you have said it best:
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
... I couldn't agree more
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would be a crime to stop the evolution of these amazing Miniature horses... We have come so far to now throw on the brakes.

lis

Good Post Stacy. You say things real good.

I was going to put this on my last post and forgot. Some ask me why I always use the 36 inches cut off. Well, I personally like that size, but there is another reason. Lowell told me one time that when they all got together to decide what size should be the max, he voted for 36 inch at the withers. For me anything Lowell said, was gospel.

So even when the AMHA was first started, not everyone agreed.

Back