How low is too low to make an offer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffsmom

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting my Tuff a friend, and I've been watching the saleboard and visiting numerous websites. I have no clue how to go about buying another mini, and I was wondering...how do you go about making an offer for a little one without insulting anyone? In absolutley no way do I want to offend or hurt feelings, I'm just out there shopping and exploring my options (and rearranging my budget!). I don't need a show mini, nor will I ever breed minis. I'm just tossing around the idea of finding my Tuff a companion. I need to know how to approach someone, what to say, questions to ask....? Suggestions please!
biggrin.gif

By the way, thanks to everyone for all their advice with my new little guy. He's looking better everyday! We've got him on a good feed plan, and we've started exercising him, it's working wonders.

Well if your looking for a pet quality miniature you can also look places like dreamhorse.com and equine.com and horsetopia.com as I have noticed a lot of horse on the sale board here on LB are more pricey show quality or breeding stock miniature (Not all, there are some very nice horses on here as pet price too) But just saying to check out other websites as well.

As for makeing offers, For example... I bought a appy mare, they were asking $1,200 I offered $1,000 and got her. Most people asking $1,200 will take $1,000 for the horse unless it says price firm. I always try to list my horses $200 more then what Im expecting to get so I have room to negotiate on the price. I dont think you will offend any seller if you ask to go lower especially if the ad says price neg or $800 OBO or whatever and it never hurts to ask down a little most will give it to you. I have asked $500 below a horses price and got it before (A $3,800 horse mind you) So it also depends on the horses price. I dont think many owners with a horse listed for $500 would take $200 less (Never hurts to ask of corse but usually no)

Keep in mind, you can offer lower, if they say no you can offer a higher price, if they say yes then you got yourself a good deal.

Hope I helpped
saludando.gif

Personally, I'd be willing to accept anywhere from 10 to 25% off a marked price on most horses. Maybe even more. Some more, some less, depending on breeding and gender ( and what I originally paid). The only time I WAS offended was when someone offered me $850 for a BRED mare that was priced at $2200! ( Her reasoning? She didn't consider a mare bred until the foal was ON THE GROUND!) I kept that mare, she foaled a gorgeous silver dapple pinto filly. Bred her back, and this year foaled a chestnut sabino filly.
aktion033.gif

You have nothing to lose, and perhaps a ton to gain!

Lucy

How wonderful your guy is doing so well!

On asking questions so as not to offend ANYONE,
biggrin.gif
I think that is impossible!! But here is what I do.

First, don't have unrealistic expectations. A lot of times I see "Wanted" ads with a lot of very specific requirements: must be under 30", must be double registered, must have perfect show conformation, must be a black and white frame overo, must be a mare - and must be under $500.00, and must be hauled to my place!!!!!
new_shocked.gif
Puh-leeze...... if someone had such a gorgeous horse it is not reasonable to think they will part with the horse for under $500.00. Keep your expectations reasonable. There are some bargains out there, but you may not get that black and white frame overo with perfect conformation. If you are working on a budget, set your sights on something a little more reasonable.

Try not to be too picky on size, sex and color. There are a lot of really really nice horses out there that no one has bought, because they are chestnut, for example. Or it's a gelding with a fabulous temperament, and everyone wants a mare. Try to be flexible.

Usually I explain that if I am making an offer, I am simply offering what I have, and that I completely understand if the person can not accept my offer. I also am prepared to fully explain the type of experience I have, the type of situation the horse would live in, and whether or not I would ever sell the horse. All of these things can be very important. Also you should be prepared with references!!! It helps to have a working relationship with a vet, and other horse people. You don't have to have bought a horse from them, maybe you worked at their stable or something, but that will help.

If you treat people with respect and consideration, they are usually quite understanding. However if your budget is $1,000.00 and the horse you want is $10,000.00, you might want to pick a different horse. I guess I would not consider that as respectful....... Put yourself in the SELLER'S shoes, and try to think how you would feel if the shoe was on the other foot. That can really put things in perspective.

Good luck, I bet you can find a nice companion for your boy because there are a lot of really nice horses for sale right now.

If your intentions are as you stated you might be surprised what honesty could do for you. I am sure there are a number of breeders who would part with a horse that was say a retired brood mare, and aged gelding or a horse that was healthy but not sound for one reason or another for nothing on the promise of a lifetime home and good care. It might be in the form of a transfer with no papers, a free lease with or without a time frame. There are many horses suitable as companions that would not cost much money. A companion horse only has to be a companion.

Two ways you could approach it.....If you feel comfortable about visiting with the owner, ask them if they would take less and see what they suggest. Then go from there.

Usually, what Lucy posted is a good gage -- 10 to 25 percent. A lot is going by your gut instinct.

In the end, all you can do is ask.....and if they say no, no harm done.

MA

Maybe you can post a WANTED ad on the sales board and say what you are looking for and include your price range. Don't forget location too because of transport costs.

Okay, ya'll have helped me a LOT! =) I know how special my little guy is, and I'd never sell him no matter what anyone offered, so I can understand how feelings would get hurt if I offered something too low. I just want a sweetie, I can't afford a show mini. My Tuff is the sweetest thing I've ever came across, so a good temperament is my only "must". My husband is an equine dentist/farrier, and he can work miracles with bites and problem feet, he's helped my little guy lots. We also own a transport company, so we can do the shipping. Color is absolutley no issue. I'd like my new mini to be small, Tuff is 22" at 6 & 1/2 months, so he's tiny.

One lady told me, "they are the lay's potato chip syndrome..you can't have just one"......She is so right!! LOL!
biggrin.gif

Tuffs Mom- what you just put in your post is exactly what you should put in a wanted ad!! Out there is a little slightly off mouthed boy or girl right in your price range and dying for the home you can offer- be forthright, be honest ( I know you are) and the right Mini will find you. Go post on the wanted board- go NOW!!
smile.gif

You've been given some great advice here, honesty is the best policy. A great home is priority one here! You sound like the ideal situation, and as a seller I would appreciate your honesty. If I had a mini that would suit, I'd be happy to have him go to a home like that!

I've purchased horses for much less than list price. I usually ask what is their bottom-line cash price. If it's the same as the full price, they may not be very interested or motivated to sell. If it's reasonable to me, we have a deal. If it's not I may offer what I think is a fair price and see if it's doable.

Personally I do not get offended if someone is upfront about what they want and why. I had a call today from a woman wanting two minis to start her kids on - I gave her some recommendations off or sales list, and she's coming out next week. I did mention which ones I thought would work, and told her I would work with her on pricing as she'll be a good home and is local, so I can keep an eye on the horses.

Another lady called today, and she's shipping the mare she wants to purchase, and asked if I'd split the shipping - with the current cost of gas I said yes. She's not asking for payments and has lots of horse experience, so it would be a good home too.

So it can depend. Sincerity and honesty are great, it may not work for the high price horse to go as a companion, but we all have the mini or two that would work in that situation.

You've had lots of good advice. I see you are in Texas, I know there are a good many pet priced horses in our area. Don't know what your price range is but we were able to find several nice horses for almost nothing for our new house buyers. We had agreed to convey "a small herd" with our house - the dad has horse experience from years ago, and the kids are excited about getting them as pets. They are now the proud owners of an older broodmare past her breeding days, 2 nice younger stallions that I gelded for them (one with a show record) and a small older stallion. They wanted the stallion and will probably add a mare to their little herd.

Jan

I think so long as you tell the buyer that you are offering this price because that is what you have allowed in your budget, rather than saying that is all their horse is worth, you'll be fine! No one will be insulted and they can always say no.

Happy shopping!

Wanted to say that I think the advice you have gotten so far is very good, but add my personal pet peeve.

When I have something listed for sale and have noted that the price is negotiable, I really dislike it when I am asked for my bottom dollar up front...I didn't want to negotiate with myself, but wanted the prospective buyer to know that I would be willing to discuss their situation, and needs, and try to come up with a price that we could both live with.

Probably just something that bothers me, and not everyone else, but something to think about.

Teresa

Paintnthings AMEN

I forgot to say that... That is one thing I do not like is when some one says "Well whats the least you will take for him?" I didn't want to negotiate with myself is a very good way to put it.

Hi

I think your home sounds wonderful ! There are so many horses for sale and so many different price ranges, since shipping availablity is not an adverse objection for you I would think you could find something within your price range that would not require a counter offer at all or very little of one. If what you are finding is considerably more than you are willing to pay, but is the horse you want you may consider paying more than you originally thought. It happens to all of us, what we think we want is usually not what we end up with........
smile.gif

I have found as a seller that most people like the "best you have" but only want to pay pet prices. Their logic: We only want it for a pet!

Good luck in your search, I know you will find what you are looking for.

Beth

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the ideal home for a mini that others might not consider.

I think you could find the perfect little mini for a very reasonable price and provide a brilliant home for them!!

Sounds like the mini will have a wonderful life with you!
biggrin.gif

Okay, so I guess I don't need to be so shy. I have no prefrences as to what I'm looking for, so I'm open to any prospects.
biggrin.gif
I don't care about color, registration, bloodlines, nothing like that. I can give references, send pictures of our place, anything anyone could request, so maybe I'll start seriously searching! My price range is around the $300 mark (to some of you, that's embarrasing I'm sure), but maybe I can find me one. ThAnKs BuNcHeS!
biggrin.gif

If you shop around you'll eventually find one. We have had unregistered colts we have rescued in the past that we let go for that price range -- just to cover the cost of their care.

I'm sure we aren't the only ones who take in a rescue or two (or three) in a year's time. The trick will be to find one in your general area so you won't have to worry about transporting. We JUST found a wonderful home for a fellow we rescued several months ago, or I would have contacted you privately!

MA

tuff,

I would be sure to check out the CMHR rescue board, and let your wishes be known there. Two of my three minis (Mingus and Thelonius)were rescues that I later adopted, and I can think of few things more rewarding than their coming into our lives (well...Flash is equally rewarding, although not a rescue...)

I assume that Tuff is a gelding? I've heard breeders mention that they would love to find a good, permanent home for their retired broodmares, providing they could be certain they would never be resold. Some might be willing to do a permanent free lease, where you provide feed and care, but they keep true ownership. I've seen several cases here on the board where students headed for college or people needing to place their beloved minis would love to find someone to lease their minis.

I would put the word out with all the breeders, vets, rescue groups, etc., in your area, asking if they would keep an eye and an ear out for a suitable companion.

And don't forget auctions; while you need to be cautious, too many minis end up there and could use a great home like yours.

susanne said:
tuff,
I would be sure to check out the CMHR rescue board, and let your wishes be known there. Two of my three minis (Mingus and Thelonius)were rescues that I later adopted, and I can think of few things more rewarding than their coming into our lives (well...Flash is equally rewarding, although not a rescue...)

I assume that Tuff is a gelding? I've heard breeders mention that they would love to find a good, permanent home for their retired broodmares, providing they could be certain they would never be resold. Some might be willing to do a permanent free lease, where you provide feed and care, but they keep true ownership. I've seen several cases here on the board where students headed for college or people needing to place their beloved minis would love to find someone to lease their minis.

I would put the word out with all the breeders, vets, rescue groups, etc., in your area, asking if they would keep an eye and an ear out for a suitable companion.

And don't forget auctions; while you need to be cautious, too many minis end up there and could use a great home like yours.

468567[/snapback]

Thanks! Also, Tuff still has his manhood as of right now.
biggrin.gif
He hasn't dropped yet...which I am assuming is normal? Me and everyone else would agree, he isn't "stud" material!
wink.gif
He is wonderful just the same, and he will be gelded soon, I just haven't made it a big priority yet.

Latest posts

Back