how long do you leave your minis out?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how long do you leave your minis out in paddocks?

• never?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1hour?

• 2-4hours?

• 5-10hours?

• days?

• nights?

• only when not working of showing?

• they live out there!

• Total voters
My horse lives out side. I dont have to worry about him fading and I dont worry about him getting dirty. Thats easy enough to fix. He has a shed that he goes in and out of as he pleases, but it is all really up to him.

Lorna

They have access to the barn where they go when they need to poop. Other than that they seem to stay out of doors all the time.

My mini stays out about 19 hours in every 24 in the summer. In the winter it is about 12 hours weather permitting. She has in out but doesn't spend much time in unless I close her door.

Minie have to go in their stalls at night because of the predator problem.

I rotate them between pastures so they do not get too fat.

One of the 2 acre pastures I use has grass taller than the minis,, the other smaller one, they have looking like a golf course. They are out about 7:30 am to 5:30 pm.

They are not allowed in the 10 acre pasture because I can't see them clearly at all times.

I voted "days" though my mares with foals are out 24/7 with run in shelters, as are my young fillies. Most of the rest have attached runs with their stalls and they can go in and out as they like, with daily turnout on pasture or at least a round pen.

My pastures are very lush, so in early spring, I limit thier grazing to less than 2 hours per day because there is such a high possibility of founder out there.

Then they all come into the dry lot where I regulate their hay intake.

I increase the pasture grazing slowly in hours as the time progresses.

Right now, they are grazing in the pastures up to half a day and they are very happy to come in under the fans to escape the flys and heat.

By fall, they will be outside all day long in the pastures as the grass will no longer be growing at a rapid rate and no trouble from the extreme heat or flys.

My horses are always stalled at night and also during any bad weather such as big storms with lightening or snow storms.

justaboutgeese said:
They have access to the barn where they go when they need to poop.  Other than that they seem to stay out of doors all the time.
420423[/snapback]

If you can put down some shavings or sawdust, then you'd be providing a full service outhouse as they will use it also when they have to pee if you bed it down for them
wacko.gif

It cracks me up how ours do. We split a truck load of sawdust divided among the run-in sheds and as soon as we move the truck out of the way, the group from that paddock will all go into the nice, fresh shed and pee in unison (sp?). All at the same time, then they get down and roll in the peed on sawdust.

all my horses including show horses are turned out togther (minus the boys who are in a adjacent pen) from 6am to 5 pm in the summer and 7 to 4 in the winter of course they are stalled at nite and stalled during bad weather. They love there barn and gladly come running in from pasture to be "put to bed" for the nite

Mine are out during the day...then go in when it's around 10pm...sometimes if I work a late shift they don't get put in until midnight...they usually go back out around 7am unless I have an early shift, then they sometimes get let out at 4 am...I have a goofy schedule, I wish it was more regular, but it is impossible as I work 3 different shifts in one week. When they are let out, they have access to their stalls, but only go in there to pee.

I checked the 2-4 hours.

That is only because we do not have more than one pasture so we have to rotate horses and the bugs are so bad between 1pm - 5 pm I will not put a horse through that tortue.

Deal the aged stallion is out all night in the back yard and our one big horse is in the pasture. They share a fence line.

The ladies and foals go out about 9am until noon. Then the 2 yearling stallions and the aged gelding go out for an hour or two depending on the bugs.

Then about 5pm the boys go out for another hour to 2. then the girls go back out until 8:30pm (dinner time) unless I am using that area for cart practice.

In the winter their time gets cut way down because the guys are not out at night.

Deb

I had to add, they are not out when we are gone away. I have found a pit bull running the fence on more than once and I just do not trust the neighbor on that side for other reasons I can not talk about.
new_shocked.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine have 24/7 access to the barn and a run in shelter. They are kept in a large dry lot. I don't have a lot of pasture so there would be nothing left if I left them on it. I let them out a few hours a day to graze. They like that but come RUNNING for their grain!! I lock them in the barn when it is frigid in the winter. I have 5 seperate stalls in my barn but mine panic if I lock them in seperately so I don't! I think my doors and walls are too high and they can't see eachother and it freaks them out!

Mine are only out 2 - 6 hours a day. Few hours in the morning & few hours in the early evening. We have VERY lush pasture & they would blow up like blimps if they had 24/7 access!
new_shocked.gif
As it is....my little 27" mare is way too fat. Unfortunately, I don't have a dry lot....so she has to stay in a lot of the time the others are out....trying to get some of that weight off her!

Mine are out 24/7, and love it. I have 3 different sections of irrigated pasture, with plenty of shade and auto waters. Although the summer temps get pretty high around here in Arizona, I find that most of mine prefer the full sun, while grazing pasture, rather than parking under the shade, durring the heat of the day. I do have a barn, but that is used for unpredictable weather, and for keeping outside mares in the evening time, or foaling.

I had to vote "never" at this time, as I don't have mini safe fencing anyway except their paddocks. Also, the pasture is too lush and rich for them (cattle hay mix - strong on alfalfa). I plan to make a mini pasture as soon as I can.

It would be virtually impossible to stall over 70 minis and ponies in a stall every night, even if we had a huge barn. They all have shelter, though....if they choose to use it.

The barn is used primarily for horses that have health issues, need extra attention for whatever reasons (such as our orphan colt), and for pregnant mares and new moms with foals.

MA

Ours have paddocks/pens that they live in all the time--nice mix of shade and sun....and of course, no grass.

They get to go on the grass whenever I have enough time to be out there with them(too many things to get hung up on for the minis...the donkey does fine without supervision).

midnight star stables said:
those of you who have show horses, do you put your minis out with blankets or things? & when it rains?

just wondering

desiree

420519[/snapback]

My horses normally dont go out in the rain but in the snow they do or if is cold then yes the show horses wear there blankets although they usually grow out by Nov, Dec

Latest posts

Back