how long do you leave your minis out?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how long do you leave your minis out in paddocks?

• never?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1hour?

• 2-4hours?

• 5-10hours?

• days?

• nights?

• only when not working of showing?

• they live out there!

• Total voters
When we DID show a few of our horses, we did stall them at night and during the height of the day. We'd turn them out in the morning and in the evening.

Then after their first bath a few days before leaving for the show, yes, we did blanket them.....or a sleezy, depending on the weather.

MA

Well my mares are out with shelter all the time, unless it looks like its going to hail then I run and get them into the indoor round pen. Show horses stay in most of the time, turn them out on their off days. Where they tend to stand at the gate and want in, cracks me up.

I voted 5 to 10 but there are so many variables in that. It depends on what time of year basically. In the dead of winter and the cold temps if it is anywhere near -20 celcius with a bitting wind then my horses only go out for as long as it takes me to do their stalls, if it's -40 celcius (we get a couple of those days in winter) they stay inside and I do their stalls with them in it. Now on the other part of the spectrum if it's 110 farenheit or anything over 100 (and we had many of those days so far this year) they will go out overnight only (once it is dark out) because of the heat and the darn horse flies and mosquitoes!!! If it is a very plesant day, lets say 80 farenheit to 95 then they go out from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. They do have shelter in each of their pastures should the inclement weather suddenly happen. My horses are very happy to come into the barn but that is because I am sure they associate barn = grain time
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back