How long can frozen semen stay frozen?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amour Lie

Reaction score
Well, I know this isn't 100% a nursery question, but I figured it would fit here better.

I am wanting to breed my Welsh pony and I found a amazing stud at a very low price. The only thing about that is I am not sure when I want to breed her, and they only have four frozen semen's left to ship out. How long could it stay frozen? And how do you go about unfreezing it?

Sorry I have only ever dealt with fresh semen so I wouldn't know. I am very interested to see what the others say though.

It is shipped in a container to keep it frozen (in dogs we used to use dry ice,not sure what is being used now) if you have a reproductive vet to ship it to, no worries as they will have facilities to make sure it stays frozen and viable.

It is frozen in liquid nitrogen and can remain viable for almost an eternity.

Thawing is done under strict conditions by a Vet. Insemination is performed in a much tighter window from ovulation. Frozen semen has less fertility than fresh, but how much less is variable from stallion to stallion.

Dr. Taylor

Latest posts

Back