How long after colicing should I feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Dan

Reaction score
just like an hour ago Titan colicked, i walked him and trotted him. he started during feeding when he wouldnt eat and this was at like 6 30-6 50
default_unsure.png
anyway, so I have this big pile of nightly hay out side sitting in my paddock because Titans better now so their in their stalls now Polly ate most fo Titans grain as well hers so I imagine Little Titans hungry right not its 8 41 when shoudl i feed him some hay
default_unsure.png
could any one help me w/ some suggestions???
default_please.gif
default_please.gif
default_please.gif
default_please.gif
default_please.gif
default_please.gif
default_please.gif
default_please.gif

Its really best to ask your own vet. I know MY vet always says no feed until you see manure. And no grain for at least 24 hours. This is especially important if you gave banamine as the horse will "act" better and want to eat even though there is still an underlying problem. Best wishes

I know my vet says allow water but no hay for about 12 hours and no grain for 24....hope your guy is feeling better soon..

well, just like 1/2 an hour ago, i fed him a little bit of hay becuase he was perky, it was only a touch i walked him and trotted him up and down my drive way while mamma ate grass, I did give him and my vet didnt even come out she just told me to continue walking him with helped and he did not need banimne which this being this my first colic I wasnt sure wheater he needed it or what caused it, but i do now
default_thumbdown.gif

it was not to good
default_wacko.png
thanks for the info, also he ate no hay at all and only like 1 mouth full of grain so he was prettyy hungry but heel get his grain tommorw morining along w/ his hay thax for all the help

My vet told me when my horse coliced, if he's hungry and wants to eat let him eat. Horses know when they don't feel good. So if he feels good enough to eat then let him. Just everything had to be watered down. Grain and hay, the hay had to be soaked in water to keep fluids. But I believe my horse had a sand colic. They could have different symptons. I don't really know if what she told me was the best thing for him, but after 2 nights of having to tube him with water and mineral oil, he survived it. But sadly he had punctured his eye and it progressed to quickly. We ended up putting him down. He was an older horse, and we only paid 500. 00 for him. He had a 50/50 chance of survival with eye removal.

We NEVER grain until our horse is acting normally for a day..........

If you have any green grass available, let him nibble........and then as he continues to act hungry, give him handfuls of hay with plenty of water.......Use your own common sense and your vet's advice. But yes, tread cautiously for those first 24 hours......

I just noticed from your second post.......your colicking horse is a foal??? If so, I'd be all over your vet like a dirty shirt. A foal needs to be watched even more closely than an adult, as they can take a nose dive in an instant. Watch your baby's attitude closely....like a HAWK. And the minute he's behavior goes downhill, get him to the vet. Just my opinion.

Little Titan got into some moldy old hay he ate more then polly becuase our soil isnt sandy so it cant be snad colic or from dehydration

How is he doing this morning?

When my show filly in 2003 needed colic surgery, she was in awful pain but as she was trying to throw herself on the ground, she was also trying to crop grass to eat. SO an appetite isn't always a good sign at all.

If the horse is impacted, like my filly was, feeding hay or grain (or anything) only will make it worse.

Hopefully all is well this morning !!!

Latest posts

Back