How importand it registering?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teedee

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I have had a mini donkey for a couple of years now. I love her and have loved all my donkeys in past. I am not familiar with the donkey world. It is like the mini horses world? How important is registering? I am not showing. I did breed her last year and I am expecting her baby in April. I was going to sell the baby but now I know I won't be able to, not to much shock for my husband. My donkey is not registered so I don't think I will breed her again. Are donkeys abandon by people alot? Ok I have ask too many questions now. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Tammi

As far as registering them NO it is not that important IMO... All the major registries are OPEN...So no matter if the donkey has papers or not a person can ALWAYS get papers.. No need for any background info no need to have parents that have been reg...The only real reason for getting papers is one you are going to breed and show and such as that... But for a pet even raising a baby for 2 pets it really isn't a big thing to have papers on them... The first donk I got just for sheets and giggles and have a paper on the wall I did..Now trhat said it is very inexpensive to do so...something like 6 dollars member 8 dollars none member to be registered as a pet and get them into the IMDR

So you see it is not much money and having a paper on the wall for a donkey sort of is cool~!!!

And I have heard of quite a few donkeys being abandoned..Not a nice thing to hear about at all...

I don't se why you can't sell the baby. I really don't see what the big deal is about being registered or not, if you want to sell for pets then go for it.

I am brand new to all of this and I'm very sorry to say that I see a lot of just pure greed out there in the selling prices of these animals.

dosburritosranch said:
I don't se why you can't sell the baby. I really don't see what the big deal is about being registered or not, if you want to sell for pets then go for it.
I think she meant that she is going to love it too much to let the baby go
wink.gif

I plan on registereing mine (her sire was)- just so she is and her babies will be incase that means something to the buyers.

Oh yes I can understand getting attatched to the babies.

I think if people want to register that is great, I suppose I'm a little bit disgusted right now, every web sight I visit is just appaling to me in price on the sales.

I have one jennet that I spent 15 hundred on, yes she is carrying and I felt that was a fair price, I also bought 2 geldings for 5 hundred and felt that was fair too.

I'm just a country girl that loves her animals and only has so much money to spend.

I am not here to insult anyone, just voiceing my opinion.

Thanks Guys!

Yes jdmep, I can't sell he/she donkey baby because I am already in love with it, I am hopeless. I will register both of them.. I just don't want to add to an over populated market. I am not breeding my donkey anymore because I can't sell them (or won't)
wink.gif
They will will stay on the farm forever.

I love the sweet nature of my donkey. Thanks for the help. And let me know if there is a donkey addiction anonymous.

Tammi

Back