How driving can go wrong

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouburgia

Reaction score
A few year ago I was driving with a friend and her shetland. We had a wonderfull trip, on a nice, sunny day, what could go wrong?

We were getting back at her place, she lived at a very busy road in the middle of the city. We stopt, she gave me the reins and stept out of the carriage (4 wheel dressage carriage) to open the gate of her property.

That's where it went wrong.

The pony got scared of something and bucked (??). While she did this she got her left hind leg óver the shaft in a way she couldn't get her foot on the ground again. You can image this hurts I think.

The next moment she just got blind and started running, I was still in the carriage. I was pulling the reins, talking to her (whoooo, eeeaassyy girl) but I couldn't stop her.

There was a car coming... I thought we were going to crash, but just in time she turned left, ran into some bushes en ran with her head, at full speed, against a lightpole. From full galop the cariage stood still in a second, so I flew off like I was a stuffed doll or something.

Fortunatly the harness got stuck in the bushes, or else she would have start running again, she was completely freaked out. (can't blame her)

I remember I stood up, pain everywhere, and took her at her bridle, shouting: A knife!!! I need a Knife!!!

A young fellow came towards me, and yes, he had a (very big
default_wink.png
) knive.

We had to destroy the harness to get her lose. She had some scratches from the bushed and was lame.

We called the vet, and, unless she was still freak out, she seemed ok.

I was quite fine, ok, some blue spots everywhere and my hands where open and I felt muscles I didn't even know I had them
default_wink.png

The pony was fine, but she, as far as I know, has never been in front of a carriage anymore.

And than my problem started.

I hooked my own horse up to the cart, started driving, and I was scared to death.

I sold everything except my horse, but cart, harness, everything. No more driving for me...

Than suddenly a day, there was a new horse at our boarding stable, a very nice small size roan hackney gelding, and he could be driven!

I told his owner what happend to me, and he invited me to go with him on a ride.

I stept into the carriage, and again, I was scared to death....

he talked me over it, and within the hour I was helding the reins (trembing, but I was helding them!)

He suggested to buy a cart and harness again, he would help me.

So I did.

And now he is my trainer.

The accident hapend I think 5 years ago, I'm driving again for about a year, and it's going very well if I may say so....

Bottom line is: you can achive almost everything, if you just have the good people to help you.

Thank you for reading....

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That was an awesome story! I got hurt riding (big horse) a few years back and becasue I have three small children at the time, and a husband that travels for a living it really scared me. So much so I stopped riding. The minis and carriage driving though have eased my fears and I just LOVE driving! Its that same excitement as riding for me but without the fear!!

Glad to hear you "Got back on the horse!!"

Thanks for sharing. I am glad you decided to try it again. Good luck and be safe!!!!

Awww thats an incredible story!!!

(dont mean to hijack the thread)

I have had a similar experience, however, not as scary however! I was driving in my front yard and my gelding was going along well but the ground is a littel un even in the front yard, there are little raises in the ground and what not..Anyways my guy spooked at something,it all happened sofast I hardly remember it. All of a sudden I am in the ground the cart is flipped over and my gelding along with it. He was flipped onto his back because of spooking going up and tipping over because of being on a very slight hill.

Luckily I had my helmet on and I am up and getting my gelding up and these nice people stopped when they saw it happen and came over to see if I was ok. I lost my glasses but was too worried about my horse to care. I got him up and his leg was also hooked over the shaft got him all straightened out and un harnessed without wrecking the harnes too bad. He ended up breaking off one of the turrets from landing on it funny. However he stood up and...started eating grass LOL. The people made sure I was alright, and my dad was home as well but not where I had the accident. Took him back to un harness and he wasnt lame or injured at all.

I was alright, horse was just fine and the cart was hardly scratched. However it shook me up and I was anxious driving after that, and I didnt drive in the front yard for months....

Wow, how scary...I'm glad you hear you are driving again. You just never know how you'll react until it happens.

I had my first wreck about a week ago, with my young son in the cart with me. It was a horse I've been driving for 6 years. Many people on the Forum know him from seeing me show him over the years, and I don't think anyone would have ever thought Bob would do that. It was quite a shock!!
default_new_shocked.gif
He had to have a week off, per the vet due to injury, but I drove him the other day and he was at ease with driving again, just stiff so I'll be doing LOTS of circles and serpentines, LOL.

It can happen to ANY horse...

How terrible for you, and the horse involved.

Accidents happen. I had a 3 year old quarter horse break my left ankle-(from the ground)- so badly that I almost had to have an amputation. These things happen, and I can only commend you for the courage to get back behind those reins. I've just recently started my gelding for driving, and i'm always on the lookout for any potential scenario that may cause a spook.

I also figure that those of us who have had injuries due to horses are also a wee bit more careful with their equine friends after the injury also. You can never be too careful.

default_saludando.gif

:Kim

Wow, that's scary. Good for you for getting back on the box seat! There's no shame in quitting a sport that frightens you or you are uncomfortable with but if it's something you genuinely love then it's worth finding someone to help you recover from the fright. And it is hard! I tried driving as a youngster and gave it up after a BAD accident with my Arab and was situationally frightened for years. I could ride in a draft carriage or work with flighty light horses but the least misbehavior from a light horse hitched up scared me to death. Then I met Kody and fell in love and there was nothing for it but to drive him. When he'd act in the way the Arab had right before the accident I'd get shaky but after repeatedly working through it I regained my confidence. Now, after four years behind this horse I've worked my way back up to big horses and in fact drove a Friesian pair this spring without so much as a quiver. Sometimes it just takes that someone special, be they two-legged or four.
default_wub.png

Leia

Thank goodness for a quiet, caring mentor. It seems he is the person you have been waiting for. After being scared, you needed quiet and calm. I am so glad you are on the road again and look forward to hearing your further adventures "behind the wheel" I am sure you will have lots of good ones.
default_yes.gif

Angie

Latest posts

Back