how do you select

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

assuming conformation what is next

• type/the overall look of the individual

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bloodlines/pedigree

• color

• height

• show record

• breeding history/proven producer

• price

• Total voters

runamuk

Reaction score
I want to know what the very next thing you look for in breeding stock after conformation.......yes for many it is a variety of the above that leads to a final purchase....but say you have 3 horses who's conformations meet your expectations which of the above is the very next thing you normally look at? Or what was the one thing that makes you look initially that draws you in.........

I am not interested in your show stock I am interested in your horses destined to be used for breeding......so think new broodmare or new herd sire shopping........

stupid poll ok what dit I do wrong I have done this before and it worked great sorry please KILL this

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you don't mind, but I thought you needed some help setting the poll up. I did the best I could, not knowing for sure where the breaks were supposed to be for the different options.

Anyway, I did not vote, because I make my decision on various numbers of your options...basically all of them except for the show records part.

Hmmm, I changed my mind, I will vote, as I read your question again, and it asks what is the very next thing...I will say the overall general appearance, for me, but then I take many other things into consideration also, before making my final decision.

The first time I saw my mini mare I told the owner if she ever decides to sell to her to give me a call. I really liked the mare. She called me a year and a half later and bingo, I bought her. And I love the babies she is giving me. Now I am thinking of selling her. But can't make up my mind as she and my husband really love each other.

I look for how well they will match and complement my current stallion. Since that wasn't an option though, I chose Bloodlines.
smile.gif
Not really looking to see if the horse has very well known bloodlines, but too get more of a clue into what traits this horse carries which may be potent, both negative and positive. I think that is the biggest clue into knowing what type of foal that horse will produce.

I am with andi on this one. and say I look for something that I know (type wise) crosses well with my stallion

MONA you are the forum goddess thank you......apparently I had a very severe brain fart as I have set up polls in the past with no problems
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

OK andi and lisa to me the answer for you would be type as you are choosing a TYPE that compiments your program AND you have a type in mind.....

Latest posts

Back