How do you know when its time to say good bye?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
As many know I have 2 older horses here with me. The one I am not even sure how old she is but somewhere in her late 20's. MY gelding is at least 28 years old but could be as old as 33. He is not reg. so I do not know for sure. I was told when I bought him he was 25, but the vet guessed him closer to 30. The mare has always been the hard keeper but is doing really well. The gelding has always been easy. He cant eat hay so lives on a grain/alfalfa pellet mix. The only time I would ever have an isue with weight was if the winters were really tough, and then I would up his food a bit and he was fine. This spring he suddenly started to lose weight and I have struggled with him ever since. I adjusted them back out to grass and he and his buddy have been on grass full time for a little over a week now plus his grain and hasnt really changed any. I have a feeling that his days are limited, but so afraid to make the wrong choice. He is so full of life so I dont want to put him down to soon, but dont want to wait to long either.

Here are a few pics of him. One that is a bit older to show what he looks like in normal shape and one from tonight. He doesnt look overly thin in the pic but if you actually were able to put hands on him he is. And no thats not a dead animal behind him rather, he had a good brushing.

Older pic

9734_187174156152_735241152_4096505_2907537_n.jpg

New Pic- He looks dorky as he is chewing in this pic. Right now they are on a small lot which is plenty for the two of them and by next week the big pasture will be opened up.

231075_10150267041091153_735241152_9043315_3502348_n.jpg

And the other mare for reference. The first pic is what she looked like when I got her, and the second is today. Dont mind her toes she is due for a trim. She is a past founder horse who always needs her feet done.

30189_441162906152_735241152_5758726_6061801_n.jpg

228738_10150267041501153_735241152_9043316_829960_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you second guess yourself you will go crazy, and have regrets. We lost Woody about 3 weeks ago, he was 33 yrs old. To look at him he was a picture of good health. But he had a tumor next to his uretha, and he was having trouble urinating, and there was nothing that could be done for him. So we let him cross over. One of the hardest things I have ever had to do. But we let him go while he was still standing and was still Woody. I had to over-ride my heart and listen to my brain. Maybe get your vet to look at him and give you a scale from 1 to 10 on his condition. You will know when it is his time, and your time to humanely help him cross with his dignity. Good Luck with whichever you decide.....

I know it’s not an easy decision. I took in a rescue a few years ago, and one day during the winter while looking out the window I said to somebody else that it was his time. I just knew it was. However, I wanted to try and hang on another month so I could bury him and not wait weeks for a truck to come drag him away. I felt he deserved that much since his previous owner didn’t care enough to feed him. It wasn’t but 2 weeks later he went down, and I had to make that decision. I did have a fried come get him and take him to where the truck could get him that day verses waiting over a week. I didn’t want to look at a dead body every day, nor did I want the school kids seeing that every day when the bus drove by. He had his last meal and was talking to me as the vet put him down. He was still so full of life even though he couldn’t get up, he tried with everything he had, and was still very there by his eyes. HE was 29. I even had a reading done on him. HE didn’t like his name, which didn’t surprise me as he never came when I called him. The reading told me he wanted to be called Roger. So after the reading I went out and called Roger. His head popped up, ears went forward and he came trotting to me.

They both look pretty good for their age, but as we all know looks can be deceiving. Have you tried probiotics or prebiotics (or other digestive aids)? These oldsters often need help digesting their feed, as their systems aren't as effective when they get older. [i added a probiotic/prebiotic supplement to my old guys feed and it seemed to help.]

Look in their eyes... You'll know when it's time. They'll tell you Ash. ((HUGS))

How ironic you would post this today after I've been looking at my big old horse very carefully too. This spring he has shedded off beautifully as always but I notice he is thinner than during winter. He's as spry as he can be though and is not indicating any problems however I have continued to keep him on his winter feed schedule as I know our grass in his field has not been fertilized or re-planted and is lacking nurients.

I'd say not to jump to any conclusions prematurely. You said he is still full of life so I'd go with that until you get a really serious indicaton of something bad.

Ashley, it's just never time to say goodbye! Having to make the decision to have an animal put down is absolutely gut-wrenching, and I wish we never have to do it, but sometimes we absolutely need to let our heads rule, and not our hearts.

My DIL had a mule as a kid. She learned to ride on it and it wasn't a young one. Then, when she married my son she brought the mule along and then their kids learned to ride on him. He got up to 40 years old. He couldn't eat hay for the last two years and was on a mush. She kept thinking about putting him down but couldn't do it, and then one day he started choking on his mush. It was really bad. The vet came right away and tried to tube him and clear out his airway, but couldn't, and they had to put him down. It was very traumatic for my DIL and the kids. In retrospect, she wishes she'd put him down before it got to that point. But, how does a person know it WILL get to that point?

I guess we just have to think about their quality of life. You need to really look at those horses and try to figure out if life is a chore for them or if they are still happy to be doing what they're doing. Are they still being "horses" or are they just eating and not doing much of anything else? Does movement seem painful for them? Has their eyesight weakened?

I think about my father... he lost his sight ten years ago to macular degeneration. My mom died two years ago, and we put dad in Assisted Living. He can barely move because he's in a lot of arthritic pain. He can't do anything but sit and listen to TV all day. He can't read. He can't get out. He's in pain, and he says over and over, "I just wish I could die."

If only our beloved pets could tell us, "I wish I could die" then we'd know. But of course, they can't, so the responsibility falls on us, and it's a terrible burden to carry!

I wish you all the best, and I know that whatever you decide will be the right decision for you and your horses.

He is still eatting, runs and plays like he always did. When I go out and call him he looks up and comes over. He is all about food, he sees a person and he must have food of some sort.

I cant ride right now so I dont know how he is there. But he was always full of life in that, would run if given the chance. He doesnt seem in pain with movement or anything. Just lost some weight.

I am not jumping to a decision now, but said that I do need to decided on both older guys before fall come so if it is the case they can be burried here. I have debated on putting the mare down, only because she is a past founder mare, past mounted patrol horse, and at certian times gets pretty stiff in the winter even with meds. Earlier this spring it also seemed like she was having some weakness in her ankle joint. She is the type that really could use shoes on all year, but its kind of hard in the ice and snow. She seems to be decent now so will see on her as well.

It is a very difficult decision to make.I have several senior Minis here with health issues so I will be faced with the terrible decision for 4 of mine in the not too distant future.They will let you know when it is time to let them go.I lost my Cushing's mare Gal in January.She was almost 24 had the vet out for colic at noon, had to call him back at 2:30 because she was down and couldn't get up.I looked in her eyes and the light was gone.Your old guys will tell you when they are ready.It is just never easy.If it were mine and they are eating and seem happy I would wait and see how they progress.good luck-whatever decision you make.

This morning I found our 32 year old laying out flat, eyes were open, tongue sticking out - not moving a muscle. I was pretty sure he had passed during the night...As I got closer, he started to "gallop" in his sleep - the old guy was just in a very, VERY deep sleep! Phew!

From the picture you posted, your seniors look great! You'll know when it's time - their eyes will tell you. You know them best...

Liz R.

People have already given you some good advice, especially the post about looking in his eyes. Here is my story.

My husband bought our youngest daughter an arabian mare, chestnut, older, well broke, if you know anything about arab bloodlines, she was a direct daughter of the Great Nazeer. My daughter showed her in western pleasure, english equatation, jumping, trail riding, judged trail rides, even rode her twice in the Cherry Blossom parade, every diipline you could think of, and won all the time. She was a one in a million horse. When she was 25 she was diagnoised with cushings, the following year she foundered. She was put on meds before foundering and foundered one more time befor the age of 30, Daughter had already moved on, but this beloved mare was still in our care.

This is what made my decision to have the vet come and put her out of her misery. One day I just looked into her eyes and could see her pain and misery. It was so hard, the whole family cryed, even the vet having to put down such a wonderful mare. But, We still have her trophies, plaques, and memories.

The end of the story is this, they will let you know, just look into their eyes you will see the pain and it will make your choice easier as you don't want them to suffer any more.

This morning I found our 32 year old laying out flat, eyes were open, tongue sticking out - not moving a muscle. I was pretty sure he had passed during the night...As I got closer, he started to "gallop" in his sleep - the old guy was just in a very, VERY deep sleep! Phew!

From the picture you posted, your seniors look great! You'll know when it's time - their eyes will tell you. You know them best...

Liz R.

The old mare does that all the time. There was a few time I went running out cause I thought she was dead. One day I was mowing the law, with in 5 feet from her and she just layed out like she was dead and didnt move as I went by. She had her tongue out and everything. If it wasnt for her nose wiggling I would have though she was dead. But with that nose wiggle she was dreaming something good.

I think about my father... he lost his sight ten years ago to macular degeneration. My mom died two years ago, and we put dad in Assisted Living. He can barely move because he's in a lot of arthritic pain. He can't do anything but sit and listen to TV all day. He can't read. He can't get out. He's in pain, and he says over and over, "I just wish I could die."
This breaks my heart. We treat our animals with dignity and respect and know when enough suffering has been endured but can't do the same for ourselves. My heart goes out to your Dad. I'm so glad that Oregon allows physician-assisted suicide.

I'm sorry you are faced with this decision, it's never easy. As others have said, look in his eyes and you will know. Best wishes.

weebiscuit your story of your father breaks my heart...many hugs. I am dealing with a similar situation w/my father. He just got out of the hospital today and the hospital sent Hospice. It's so hard watching your loved ones suffer. Hugs.

Well I did have a chat with him and feeding tonight. He is there, enough so he beat up his pasture buddy a big when he was waiting for his food. Had to remind her who is boss.

I can only say what everybody else says... you will know, they will tell you, at least I feel that way...

That said... BLESS YOU for keeping those sweet old guys and giving them a gentle place to live out their years! It is obvious from those photos that they have been well cared for and well loved in their senior years. I have not been blessed with having a horse live to be that old with me, tragedy took my favorite boy way too young at the age of 13. My friend Lori had a mare live to be into her 40's with excellent quality of life. she had to get creative to get the nutrients into her to keep her weight up the last few years. I know she soaked alfalfa/timothy hay cubes to make hay slop so she didn't have to chew her hay much to get the calories since her teeth were very worn at the end. Best wishes, thanks for posting... .

Only you will know.... trust me;

I have an Andalusian, who as soon as we bought him the vet told us he had cancer, may I add the vet told me this the day my App was being put down, I have had 3 horses with cancer and it is very hard, we were doing everything to help, he was not going to slip through my fingers... Nothing was working, and the next time we found more tumors my 6 year old Paint mare was being given away by my mother, completely devastating.

A few months went buy and the new pills were helping, he was so happy all the time and would be willing to keep going for miles, that year he even showed his heart out! As November was coming people were saying he is too old and he has a sway back you should put him down, and we were thinking about it as we didn't think he could make it through the winter, but one day I went out sat on him, and the thought never came back though my mind. I never put him down, I still have him today, some of his tumors have shrunk even, and he acts like a colt! He will play his heart out in his field, and I don't know what I would have done if I ended his life, and the only reason he wasn't put down, was just that one day I really looked at him, he was alert as ever, and I don't even think he knows he has cancer, he has no problem with it, I worry about it more than he does! I have no reason to believe from where he is at now, he wont make it through another winter.

He looks better now than he did last year! It's amazing.

Ashley, your horses will tell you, you just gotta look at them, and erase your mind when you do. Don't go out there thinking is it time and look at your horses, got out there and just spend time with them, see what they say, they look great for there ages! Enjoy them!
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back