How do you house your geldings?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
I have never owned more than one gelding at a time, so where I had him was never a concern. In about a little over a month, I will have 2 more. A weanling and a yearling.

Do you have more than one gelding? Is he with other geldings, mares and if a gelding is with mares can you put a second gelding with the mares? What has worked best for you? I might add that the other 2 soon to be geldings were born here and so gelding #1 has been around them or at the very least shared a fence line with them. He has been with both mares and babies with no problem. Disposition wise they are all 3 pretty laid back guys and 2 haven't been gelded yet.

Small here and trying to figure out what would work best.

Thanks for sharing.

My mares and geldings go together...Or I put my geldings with the yearling colts. But that is only out in the pasture when I put them up they are all seperated

My 2 geldings (1 was a stallion for quite a long time) live with my 6 year old stallion. The 3 of them are best buds and all get along great!!!
yes.gif

My geldings go out with everyone except my 2 yr old stallion and he has the mare thats in foal to him at a buddy. The geldings get along with everyone most of the time, and I have one that is great with babies too, he is only 28". I have never had a problem with the geldings.

The yearling that is going to be gelded is currently with a yearling colt that will stay a colt. They have always been together, but are starting to get a little rough and do not want either hurt. The one I am going to geld is not the rough one, so wasn't sure they should stay together after he is gelded. It sure would work out better if I could leave them together. The weanling that is going to be gelded, I do believe since he is now with the girls, I'll just keep him there.

My two boys are kept with the girls. They are best of friends with each other and play alot together but are housed right now with my yearling and pregger mare. THey cant go with the foals as they are to aggressive towards them, and cant go with the stallions as the stallions would try to kill them.

Our whole little "herd" lives together--4 geldings and 5 mares. They all get along just fine!

I'm a bit of a purist over this issue- my Geldings have never been in with my mares as I have only ever had trouble when I have tried. I have a "Boys only" field that at present houses :- one very cross stallion who has just come out from his mares, one gelding 11years, six as a gelding, and two two year old colts soon to be geldings. This winter there will just be the stallion and one young gelding as the rest are sold. Rabbit cannot be housed with anyone else so he stays on his own.

I currently have 4 mares and three geldings; when my old show gelding comes home, I will have 4 and 4. On turn-out, they are all together; however, I house them separately(although the retired show gelding will likely live with my matriarch mare-he is 19, she is 23,and have similar nutritional needs-both will get Senior, and a bit higher % of alfalfa.) Weanlings have different nutritional requirements than yearlings, who have different requirements than mature horses-so FEEDING them separately, so that each's diet can be tailored to the individual, is important, IMO. If you have grazing, that's fine-but when they are on dry lot, and/or are supplemented with hay, and receive concentrates, widely-differing ages of horses should be fed separately,I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of our mares and geldings are out togather daily.

They are all fed inside before they are turned out, that way no one eats more than the others.

I have one mini gelding. He lives in the dog yard.
biggrin.gif

My half andalusian gelding lives with his mother and full sister. They are just fine together.

We have our stallions and geldins in one lot and the mares in another. our geldings and stallions all get along fine. maybe becasuse they are all young, the oldest being a 5 year old gelding.

jennifer
saludando.gif

[SIZE=14pt]I have kept them with stallions and also mares . I have one that loves the babies and he is always the nanny for the weaners. Geldings are the easiest to have because they can go with ANYBODY with out a problem.[/SIZE]

Lyn

We have a lot of geldings, nearly half of our 70 horses. In the summer, the spares that aren't doing anything and the young stallions (yearlings, two year olds) live out in a pasture, my mom calls them the "Duds and Studs" which is misleading ... we don't having any duds!
wub.gif

Once the foals are weaned and we're done with shows and parades and stuff we'll bring in all the colts and put all the mares and all the geldings out on the 1/4 section until about January when the mares come in and all the stallions (including our breeding stallions) will go out with the geldings for a few months.

So ours live with anyone, really. In a smaller pen we generally keep geldings with geldings, but not always, so long as everyone gets along it doesn't matter!

Oh, and ask me if I have many geldings for sale? Nope! A few, but mostly they all have jobs that we need them for!

My gelding is turned out with other geldings. He has in the past been out with mares and done well and same with a stallion. I think it usually just depends on the horse, try it but be sure to watch them closely! Also, since not all of them are gelded you have to be very careful about them getting your mares pregnant, make sure they are not old enough to reproduce!

My 15 month old gelding and 15 month old filly are out together and housed at night together. I had to quarenteen my gelding for 10 days and that "killed" to be away from her. They've been together since birth except they went to bed with their moms at night untill they came here. They are fine together. We have a little of seperation issues, but nothing bad that's why we got 2 goats for them when we take only 1 out at a time.

Christy

It does completely depend on the animal, of course, and how many you have, and how "active" a stallion you have
rolleyes.gif
Rabbit will mate anything that stands still, including any unwary Golden Retrievers and mares that are not in season. Hence his solitary condition- although he is housed in a roundpen in a field, and has three girlfriends, so do not feel too sorry for him
biggrin.gif
Cody is a complete headcase but knows he cannot breed geldings (please do NOT ask how he found out
rolleyes.gif
) He will fight with them, but will not seek them out to fight, so is safe on the three acres he has, with 2 colts and a gelding. The mares are all out of sight of the males, except for Rabbit, who lives in their midst happily so long as he cannot reach them
rolleyes.gif
. So- each case needs to be taken as an individual case, there are NO rules to this at all. Each person knows their own animal, and should judge accordingly. What I will say as a word of caution is, Stallions seem to be fine whilst the hormone levels are low- ie coming into and going out of Summer, and Winter, and whilst there are no mares around. Whilst I have found no real hard and fast rules the one thing I do see as lunacy, not to mention just bad business, is to run Stallions, mares and colts together- there is NO such thing as "too young to breed" and whilst I have heard of stallions who would tolerate such a situation, there would be no way of knowing who had got the mares in foal, and, when it goes wrong, someone will end up dead!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 geldings - one is in the mares' field (but thinks he is in heaven!)

The other is a babysitter. He looks after the weanlings, esp a filly who had to be weaned way too young ... and he most definitely earns his keep doing it!

Latest posts

Back