How do you handle flies on a new mama?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly Chisholm

Reaction score
Poor Sally is having a terrible time with flies with her Appy eyes. Sterling, her colt, is three weeks old. Is it safe to spray Sally with fly spray? I have a fly mask on order for both of them. Is it safe to put a fly mask on a foal?

Do you have a break away halter you can put on her? You can make a fly fringe to use until the mask gets there. Put a piece of binder twine(or anything like that) across like a brow band then tie pieces onto it to hang down over her eyes. It's not pretty but it works. If you don't have a halter that will brake you can cut off the piece that goes to the buckle on the side and tie a shoelace on instead so it's safe in case Sterling puts a foot in it or she catches it on anything.

Nope, don't own a breakaway halter. So, no fly spray around her eyes?
And Taz, have you been able to get a drop of milk out of Tilly? I can't wait to see her baby!

You should be safe puting fly spray on her forehead, between the ears (and even ON the ears), and then on down her back. (Put it on your hand first and then wipe.) Are you stalling them at all? If so, invest in a strong FAN for their stall. Flies don't like to settle in moving air.

BTW, where did you locate a fly mask for your foal?

Thanks Maryann, I wasn't even thinking about fly spray....brains not working right now, haha.

Holly, no milk yet but I'm checking every day, it'll be really nice to have that give me more of an idea about what's going on.
Do you have more pictures of Sterling?

I have found a fly repellent ointment. I used it last year and it helped and stayed on a long time. I put it around the face and ears mostly. It has a menthol kind of smell so I can't put it too close to the eyes in case it is too strong (ever get menthol near your eyes?!)I am not at home right now to tell you the name and until just now I forgot I had it! It's a terrible year for flies, mosquitos, and gnats! We have had so much rain lately it's making things so much worse. I think my minis have so much hair over their eyes it works as a fringe!

Thanks Maryann, I wasn't even thinking about fly spray....brains not working right now, haha.

Holly, no milk yet but I'm checking every day, it'll be really nice to have that give me more of an idea about what's going on.
Do you have more pictures of Sterling?

Of course I have more pictures of Sterling!. I'm thinking of changing his name to Tarnish, or just changing the spelling to the Scottish town, Stirling, which we visited last year.IMG_20200526_185407.jpg This guy is so sweet! He comes right up to us, lets us pet him all over, even comes when we call him. We are so blessed!

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_191823.jpg
    IMG_20200527_191823.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200526_185410.jpg
    IMG_20200526_185410.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200524_134356.jpg
    IMG_20200524_134356.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 10
You should be safe puting fly spray on her forehead, between the ears (and even ON the ears), and then on down her back. (Put it on your hand first and then wipe.) Are you stalling them at all? If so, invest in a strong FAN for their stall. Flies don't like to settle in moving air.

BTW, where did you locate a fly mask for your foal?

They are stalled for the better part of the day in a 12 X 24 ft which has lots of air flow. The vet doesn't want Sterling running around much yet. I ordered two foal fly masks from horse.com, but I haven't gotten them yet. Pretty sure it won't fit the baby, but I have a foal size that works great on my mini donkey. Thank you for your ideas! I'm going to rub a little on her. The poor thing is so miserable with her Appaloosa eyes.

Of course I have more pictures of Sterling!. I'm thinking of changing his name to Tarnish, or just changing the spelling to the Scottish town, Stirling, which we visited last year.View attachment 41421 This guy is so sweet! He comes right up to us, lets us pet him all over, even comes when we call him. We are so blessed!
Oh my word, he's adorable!!!!!

Is he OK? Why doesn't the vet want him moving around much?

He's wonderful!!!!! The latest pictures look like he might not be the same colour as Sally, or is it the lighting? Is he changing colour where he's starting to shed out?

They are stalled for the better part of the day in a 12 X 24 ft which has lots of air flow. The vet doesn't want Sterling running around much yet. I ordered two foal fly masks from horse.com, but I haven't gotten them yet. Pretty sure it won't fit the baby, but I have a foal size that works great on my mini donkey. Thank you for your ideas! I'm going to rub a little on her. The poor thing is so miserable with her Appaloosa eyes.
I'll also share miniature horse fly masks from Masks for Minis. It's Sue Mason who drives the appy teams here. Masks for Minis is on Facebook! She makes masks for babies as well :)

I'll also share miniature horse fly masks from Masks for Minis. It's Sue Mason who drives the appy teams here. Masks for Minis is on Facebook! She makes masks for babies as well :)
I was going to suggest Masks for Minis, she made one with ears for my mini donkey. Mine don't wear masks much, but boy was it nice to have that one with ears when Tilly cut the inside of her ear on something, made keeping it clean easier.

Is he OK? Why doesn't the vet want him moving around much?

He's wonderful!!!!! The latest pictures look like he might not be the same colour as Sally, or is it the lighting? Is he changing colour where he's starting to shed out?

Yep, he's tarnishing out! :)

Reactions: Taz
:D Had me worried, thanks :D
So I don't 'get' mini colours. Is he a silver bay? Anyone know????
Whatever he is he's beautiful!! Can you post some more pictures in a bit?

Latest posts

Back