How do you get whites white again?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
My great grandmother made a beautiful little gown for me when I was born. I believe it's made of white muslin? It is completely hand sewn with a little embroidery on it. I've had it displayed for like....oh....twenty years now. It's on a little padded hanger and it hangs on the wall (out of direct sunlight). But I've noticed lately that it has turned....dark. Sorta grey, no longer white. We are non smokers so it hasn't absorbed cigarette smoke but it isn't white anymore. I thought I'd carefully hand wash it but I'm not sure if I should use bleach or not. I don't want to do any harm to it. I need to use something gentle but something that will get the grey out, also. Anyone have any ideas on what I should use? I'll hand wash it and then let it dry flat until it's almost 100% dry and then lightly press it between some pillow cases. And it's incredibly old (ahem....it was made when I was born so I guess that means I'm incredibly old....sigh)

I don't know what you should use, but I definitely wouldn't use bleach on something so delicate. Bleach tends to "eat" fabric, and eventually items that have been bleached fall apart. I also would dry clean it as dry cleaning chemicals can be very harsh. Maybe something like Oxi-Clean would work. maybe even hydrogen peroxide; but if you were to go with this, I'd try it on a small inconspicuous spot first and see if it works.

What about delicate wash, Woolite?

OR checking with quilting companies as they do deal with cleaning the older quilts...

I wash my antique lace in dawn dish detergent, diluted. I rinse really well, and then dry flat. If something still looks dingy after washing I will rinse in laundry bluing, but only carefully.

My mother sews and deals a lot with antique textiles. She told me that bleach, lemon juice, peroxide and sunlight, all whitening techniques commonly used are definitely a no go for antiques. They will probably cause the fabric to disintegrate. She recommended sodium percarbonate, or oxi clean and hand washing only. I have heard that denture cleaner tabs may work, but I would try this on only small area first. Good luck

Latest posts

Back