How do you get "THE" shot?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shot?

It?

Sorry, I need a translation. This old brain doesn't get "it."

Are you asking about some sort of prescription injection or medical supplies?!?

Andrea

We take a lot of pictures just to get a few that are worth keeping.

I carry the camera with me at all times, follow the horses around a lot, and do a lot of dancing.

In her previous life, before full time mini's. Cindy did A Lot of professional photography work. She tells me the rule of thumb is that you take 100 pictures to capture one with "it" in it. Many of you may remember the photo of the tiger blazing thru the snow that Exxon used for years. If you do realize that picture was one of 1160 pictures the guy took that day of that tiger. The photographer was one of Cindy's professors in her photography classes.
default_wacko.png

A good helper, a beautiful day with a good background are always part of good pictures as versus some nice snapshots.
default_wub.png

Good Luck catching "it" most people only take a few in their lifetime.
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I agree, the only way is hundreds of photos. I thank goodness for my digital. I usually take a minimum of 100 photos in a session and will normally keep about 10 to 20 and then only--MAYBE--I will have that really neat shot that I put in a special folder for multiple uses. the other will be OK if I want to show someone. I have very few in the special folder and most of them were accidents.

I've heard SKUNK and funny thing is I was ACTUALLY going to pick up a dead one on the side of the road yesterday but could NOT get close enough....... for those that have skunks. Where did you get them?

I agree with everyone who say take LOTS of pictures....... Also, having a helper (even better have TWO helpers).

For movement shots (which I love) having the camera person sit on a bucket or crouch in a central place in the paddock and then the helper encourages the horse to trot (hopefully with its tail flagged!).

For set up halter shots, treats are nice but not totally necessary. What works sometimes even better is using a mirror, or a squeekie toy that the horse has never seen before, or a smelly article of clothing -- something that smells like you or someone the horse knows......such as a worn sock or hat.....just be sure to crop that out of your picture.

Thank God for digital cameras!!
default_laugh.png
I use to "waste" so much film! Now I just take tons of pictures.
default_wink.png
Try lots of different props.....the horses get un-interested fast!! Definately need some helpers to get good halter shots!

Digitals pay for themselves in film savings!!! Among other things
default_smile.png

My dig works great but, is several yrs old.......when I began looking a couple yrs back, I also decided I needed a new video cam. What I purchased has worked well. A Panasonic that takes the dig video and also have a tiny card that allows you to swith to only stills, or to watch your video, freeze and capture a frame on that card
default_wink.png
Saves hours!!

Of course, I rarely use either
default_wacko.png
default_laugh.png

BUT -- I keep telling myself I WILL
default_rolleyes.gif

Don't have your hubby help
default_wacko.png
oops did I say that...

He hates me taking pictures and before I know it, so do I....He has no patience, he thinks just click the camera, take the picture....
default_saludando.gif

Don't have your hubby help
default_wacko.png
oops did I say that... He hates me taking pictures and before I know it, so do I....He has no patience, he thinks just click the camera, take the picture....
default_saludando.gif
I soo hearya

Even worse is while the camera is in the process of focusing, you have to listen to "click it nownownow you missed it,"

LOL, been there, done that. I have no help, so have to get what I get!

My neighbor did help me one time- she took 747 pics- she has one of those big cameras that will keep clicking as fast as it can.... we picked out 4 pictures out of ALL those!! They were decent, but I would say none of them was 'it' of those four.
default_new_shocked.gif

It's very time consuming.... good luck!

And I agree with the digitals! Man, back in the 'old days' I went through rolls and rolls of film by the dozens, thinking I got a good shot, pay for it to be developed and be totally disgusted when I went to pick up the pictures and not one was even decent!! I'm sure I supported Kodak!

Thanks guys!!!
default_laugh.png
Me and a friend are doing a "photo shoot" tomorrow with 3 of our horses. I am so excited and just wanted some ideas.

And OOPS, sorry I wasnt specific on "it".
default_rolleyes.gif
My bad, stupid teenage brain
default_laugh.png

Oh Alyx! And try to shoot "off the shoulder".......of the horse, when aiming the camera.
default_wink.png

I will probably get flamed for this, but if you want really good trotting photos, i stall them for a few days and then have cameria on hand as soon as i turn them out...they put on quite the show then.

Ive got allot of BTU breeding here, so mine are natural "models" ...they just look at you, perk up and give you that BTU expression so that is real nice
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back