How Do You Get Rid of Mold in Leather?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeCFarm

Reaction score
I rarely ride anymore, particuarly with a saddle, due to my knee. My brother-in-law was here for a visit, so I pulled my saddle out for him to go for a ride. I found some mold on the stirrup fenders, at the bottom on the inside. It wasn't much, but I was horrified to see it there! How can I get rid of it?

It's easy. You just have to clean it.

For a case of real bad mold, I use TOP JOB on a sponge from the grocery store. It will not bother any of the stitching.

If it's not bad, I use the whole line of Lexol products. The cleaners and conditioners. I like to saturate it really good and let it sit and wipe it. For a nice finish, I love "Saddle Lac".....that is an aresol that comes in a spray can. Helps keep mold away too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be thankful the mold was there. If the saddle had been put away in storage and not been protected it would have been rotted. The treatments and care you gave it were what was molding and preventing the rot. There is an old saying about never buying a used harness that did not have mold on it.

Thanks, guys. I just couldn't believe I let my saddle mold! Though I rarely use it anymore, one of these days...

Latest posts

Back