How do you get a pig to eat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
So I have a abnormal pig. She loves her milk, but is 1.5 months old and trying to get her over to solids. She would rather spill them and then hid her dish in her bedding. Last night I did put a light coat of powdered milk on them as well and she ate some but isnt really takeing to it. Any ideas?

Shes not a normal pig, she is a potbelly

still, make a wet mash with her alloted amount of dry food, mixed with a generous amount of milk and slowly reduce it. Most pigs (pet or not) go through this transition. ours (food) love yogurt and get it by the pailfulls......we dump it on thier grain and they love it. Good luck, it shouldn't take her long doing it that way. I bet she is cute..........
default_wub.png

Hi Ashley, I agree with the wet mash. What kind of feed is she getting that she won't eat. You might add different things to try. My little piggy loved having some applesauce added along with just enough warm water to make the food mash like. He also enjoyed the occasional peaches or pears. If this is your first little piggy "no sugar" they do have some issues from it. An occassional Reeses Pieces as a treat is okay. He also loved diving for raisins in his water bowl and learned to blow the water with his nose to clean his nose. They are the most wonderfuly loving pets very clean

and soooo playful when little. He used to charge thru the house and viciously attack stuffed animals we would set up for him being the big and brave killer pig. "No stuffed animals were injured during this activity".

I would love to see pics of your little one!

I have been around them for years at my aunts, but this is the first one I have owned. She is getting potbelly pig food. I am just trying to get her started on it.

She is not a house pig but has bonded with one of the barn cats. She shares her milk with him, he lickes her nose clean as she tries to bit his tongue. They climb on each other and rub up on each other. Something tells me they will be cuddling by winter.

Latest posts

Back