How do you dry up milf from the mares?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I usually cut grain. Just give them a TINY bit. Just so they think I didnt forget about them at feeding time. But how do you speed up the process???

My Broodmares don't get grain, so I have never cut back on it.

With the Arabs I used to keep them off grass etc, but, to be honest, a mare that is put onto a bit of good grass at weaning will dry up as fast and worry less about her foal since she will be busy grazing, and this is what I tend to do.

I don't do anything different, and just let nature take it's course and let them dry up on their own. I have always done it this way, and have never encountered any problems. Sure, they get a tight uncomfortable bag for a couple of days, but nothing more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounded ridiculous when I heard of it, but I tried it on my 16 mares/ when I had them/ and it worked!!! watch the moon and watch the size of your mares bag, when there is a full moon she has a huge bag, when the moon goes to a dark moon her bag actually shrinks. well, when it comes time, watch for the dark moon and then wean the baby, she will be dried up in no time. it was amazing and I would have never believed it unless I did it and I did.

Latest posts

Back