How do we look?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocklone Miniature Horses

past member -I gotta get a life...
Reaction score
Here is a video from today. I have not have him in the cart in a good few weeks, maybe a month or more. Probably his 5 or 6th time in it. Ive just got the number for a driving instructor cause i think this boy might have real potential beyond my ability and knowledge! Its not on the video but we even had a canter which was not asked for but we were going downhil at a fast trot and i think it maybe just got a bit fast for him, but i said whooaaa and he came back from it immediately (maybe scurry potential? good at listening) he is only 8 so the world is his oyster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEV-dea0EyY

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG, he's so cute. He's coming along nicely and he looks like he'll make quite a nice driver.

Scurry? I've heard of scurry driving and seen one owner practice it with a pair that was trained by Barry Hook. Kinda neat, looks like great fun. What else were you looking at driving him in? What type of driving training does that driver do?

Can I make a suggestion? If you have a whip, learn to start using it with your lines in your hands now, too. Unless I'm missing it? It's both - less sloppy and easier on his mouth - than using the "slap the rein" technique. The "slap the rein" technique is really hard to break once you are heavily using it. I know, I was originally doing it to and I can't begin to tell you how often I was chastised by a draft horse trainer for the "bad manners". Of course, you will see a lot of farmers or draft horse drivers doing that, but it's not the norm for driving.

He looks good and I look forward to seeing more of him in the cart!

I would not personally look at scurry driving cause I would be scared lol but his owner may have someone for him when he goes back home next year. I just want to do a little class with him cause I've never done any sort of talent class before only in hand. The man I'm looking at has his own carriages business - Friesans for weddings/funerals, hackneys for carriage shows etc so lots of experience.

Yes I really need to get a whip. I keep meaning to but never get around to it!

There was a woman in the New England States (don't remember which one) that had students/gave lessons. Her own hitch horses (called the "Rainbow Team/Hitch") were often used by the students and used in speed event type classes while driven. She even got some pics of possible mishaps in the making and showed how her students worked with it w/o panicking and fixed the issue(s) while continuing on w/o a wreck!

After I saw that, we practiced here w/ some of ours - just for giggles. GREAT FUN, but not so easy to do! Approached not 1 but several clubs that held speed events (not just barrel racing) to see if we'd be allowed to drive the patterns and were told very emphatic "NOs"...
default_sad.png
Think that was in 2012 - ours had over a year in driving, between Vicki and I we had several carts and 2 of my daughters were still home and doing some driving then. We didn't go anywhere w/ that in competition, but we sure had fun w/ it at home. Plan on setting up several courses here at our new place that we can do that kind of thing...

AWWW... the website I was going to post is not active anymore!

Lots of places won't let minis go. There was a local clinic and hack out and I asked to go but was told no because I didn't have a groom (don't fancy having two hefty people in a two wheeler with a 31" mini!) so I can't do anything without getting a team and bigger cart. It's silly.

You both look so relaxed. He's a hansom guy for sure. Looks like a tiny Fjord.

Latest posts

Back