How do we handle this??????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAX

Reaction score
Ok I am asking for a friend because she is not a member here yet but hopes to be very very soon.

She has gotten a colt who is still at his mothers side as he is just 6 weeks old. The problem is this. He is acting more studdy than any colt I have ever seen!! He is sweet talking all the girls that go by. then he screams and starts attacking his mother like he is frustrated. He is getting a full on erection! Day two of this and his mother appears to be coming into heat and even squatting for him... If he were older I would say that he should separated from his mother and any mares already but he is only 6 weeks old! Does anybody have any suggestions? PLEASE

Sounds like if both are down, he's ready for the gelding wagon.

I've not experience this, but have heard of it with young colts.

Thank you for the response Chanda. She is planning on breeding him after he proves himself in the show ring, so we were hoping for another way to help with this issue lol.

I've gelded at 4 weeks old and wouldn't hesitate to geld that age again if vet okays it. Super fast recovery time in little ones and they have comfort from mom.

Could always rig up a paddock to where he can't get through the fence but can still nurse through it. I wouldn't risk leaving him in with her....sounds like he's ready and she's willing...

Little Wolf, I had that thought pop into my mind too but I guess I am just searching for something easier on both mare and foal.
default_no.gif
But I do appreciate any suggestions so thank you.

If it were me (and this is just my opinion and is worth about what you paid for it ) I would be thinking very hard about whether this colt were really stallion material. To me temperament is just as important as conformation and I have no need for stallions that are unnecessarily aggressive. If she is determined to keep him a stallion I would be looking to put him into a herd situation with a bossy (bred) mare who might teach him some manners. I always tried to keep my young stallions with a more dominant horse when I could to teach them a bit of humility but with truly dominant colts it is important to make sure the more dominant horse is not going to actually hurt the youngster - you need to know your horses and then watch to see how the pairing goes. Sometimes a senior gelding will do the job too.

He is not fertile, so it's really just an annoyance. He sounds like one of those young boys that will take some extra work on socializing and learning appropriate behavior, but as a 6 week old, he's just "learning the ropes" and testing everything out. I would be working with him with grooming, standing and even leading a bit, just so he can start learning his place in his world, and that the human is really the herd leader.

Sometimes these young colts are just full of themselves, but I think even momma will put him in his place at some point. If they're not in with other mares and foals, I would be cautious in adding in a more senior mare, who might actual cause him some harm while trying to teach him respect. I really think you'll see him change, and personally I wouldn't be very worried at this young age. Like I said, it's all more of an annoyance than any real problem. He'll work it out. When he's more mature and weaned, he could be placed with another more senior stallion -- I had a bachelor herd here for years -- and some of my older "gentlemen" stallions were great at teaching the young boys how to act.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Our little Rusty (of bobcat attack fame) was like this starting at 2 weeks of age and was trying to mount mares with a full erection!!! He was tiny (only 28 1/2" at maturity) and not fertile, so we were not really concerned. He was quite good at telling which mares were in heat! He outgrew this phase way before he was gelded as a yearling and was not a problem in any way.

I had a little horn dog just like that at a month old. He was mounting all the mares like crazy. I think just some of them are prone to be like that. Would not rush into weaning for sure.

Thank you all for your comments they are much appreciated. She is at a horse show ATM but said she will join (and read all comments) as soon as she gets back. I told her LB was always full of knowledgeable people with all sorts of ideas and views. Lol this is almost always where I find some of the best answers!!
default_yes.gif

It's the best place to be for a mini owner! As for that little dude, my gosh, she's gonna have her hands full!

Latest posts

Back