How Do I Get Rid of Grasshoppers?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hosscrazy

Reaction score
I am overrun with grasshoppers!!! They are EVERYWHERE!!!!

They're eating my rose bushes. They're eating my trees.
eat.gif

I even found one in my horses' tail this morning!!!
new_shocked.gif

How do I get rid of them?

Liz R.

CHICKENS!!!!!! We really have bug problem, other than fire ants. Those little peckers eat anything that moves, that will fit in their beak LOL gross, they will even eat mice, lets just say that all they need to do is poke one little hole LOL

Yep, Chickens! And I hate to say it, but those awful squawking guinea birds work wonders with insects, snakes, mice, etc...

I have made an observance this year -- and I don't know if it is a curiosity or if it is something that has helped.

Some of my fields and the yard were sprayed with 2,4D for weeds. As I cut those areas, I rarely see many of the grasshoppers and flying type small insects. In the fields where I did NOT spray, they abound. I mean, as I mow I am dive-bombed. Going from one to the other brought it to mind a couple of weeks ago.

OK, sounds peculiar but, it is a fact. Now, I also graze the horses on both and no ill effects from the spray. But, it sure seems to have made the area less than desireable for the bugs.
yes.gif
At the beginning of the summer I had little ant hills EVERYWHERE in the yard.....my aughter & I even commented on it. After the spray, I have only a few.

LOTS of people on this forum use the product. Anyone else noticed this? Well, think about it and look around. I never gave it a thought until mowing.

I don't know if your place would allow you to have poultry or not...but could you maybe try using that Dawn dish detergent and water spray? Them grasshoppers are nasty beggers, and sure do eat leaves and plants quickly.
thumbdown.gif

Ashley - I'll take your little hedgehogs ANYTIME!!!
yes.gif

Been spraying with Ivory soap & water - it seems to have helped!!!
biggrin.gif

Have not seen Hildago, but thanks for the culinary tip...would you like me to send some to you and you can let us know how they tasted????
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
aktion033.gif

PLEASE?????????
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back