~HOW DID YOU~

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since getting into the Minis back in the early '90s I have changed my farm name 3 times...hopefully this 4th one will stick...LOL!

1st it was called Gemstone Minis...I think I ended up changing it because there was/is another Gemstone Farm.

Then I was L Bar B Minis which used the 1st initials of me and my partner at the time. We ended our relationship in 2003, so the farm was no longer as well.

Then in 2009, with my wife, we became Thistledew Miniatures (meaning "This Will Do") since we were only going to have 1 horse (LOL!!!!). Well, Deb never really liked the name, we are definitely way past the one horse part and most people didnt "get it" anyway, so just recently we changed our name to "La Vida Loca Miniatures".

We were driving several hours to buy a new horse trailer and then pick up our newest horse and heard the song "Mi Vida Loca" which was being sung by Pam Tillis (not that other guy...lol) and I said, "that would make an awesome farm name"...so that's how that came about...We live a "crazy" (in a good way) life...LOL!
default_wink.png

When people come to our place and if they are lucky enough they will see a sunset. So many people were in awe of the wonderful sunsets we have. We seem to have a great variation of critters so we knew it had to be a farm in the name. Here are a few pictures that helped us decide on a name(if you look close there is even a mini in one!) Our logo has a picture of an actual Sunset at our place also. So that is how we came up with Sunset Ridge Farm. Great topic!!

100_3206.jpg

101_1092.jpg

101_0211.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When we purchased our farm 15 1/2 years ago our riding ring was on the top of our property and I felt like I was always at the top of the world, looking down over the meadows. It seemed that there was always a breeze blowing at the top of the hill. So we named our farm Meadowind Farm. We bred large horses for years and our farm name wasn't used in naming the horses.

When we started breeding the miniature horses and the farm name was used to identify the horses we were going to just use our farm name...

When I searched Meadowind Miniature Horses I found that there was a Meadowind Farm in Canada that bred miniatures.

Though AMHA didn't have that name reserved I thought it would be confusing so I began to search again for the perfect name for our Miniature horse farm. I started breeding miniatures during a very difficult time in my life with my health and some tragic events with our children and felt that I could do NOTHING without the Lord's help. So I chose Azariah Miniatures at Meadowind Farm ~ Azariah means "whom the Lord helps". And He has continued to help and bless me with my passion to share the joy of horses with others. And... blessed me with incredible friendships through the miniature horses.

Our farm name, O Henrys Minitails, came from my grandfather. His name is Orlando Henry so my grandmother shortened it to O Henry. Then the minitails because of the miniature horses of course
default_smile.png

We are:
Afarmsign.jpg

Our name is kind of a play on words and has a double meaning for us.

Frequently people remind us we misspelled 'finish'. We just smile.

We ended up here after loosing our home and business in a flood in 2006.

Michael is pure Finnish by decent so that part was easy.

Yet we felt we ended up here on the waning flood waters of the Puyallup

River.

It is our Flying Finnish (finish)and we feel fortunate to be here.

My middle name is Raine and I have always liked it. So we just added Ranch to it and there you go Raine Ranch Miniature Horses was born. LOL

Love this topic by the way!!!!!

Grew up in small town of Litchfield Park which holds annual Christmas Parade, and yearly banners hang with the words: "December In The Park".

Always liked the ring to it, so Little Horses in the park came to mind. It fits....as we are still Litchfield Park address, but not "in the city limits".
default_smile.png

We used to live in a Dallas suberb with all the hussle and bussle. My husband asked me why I wanted to move to the country, my answer was "to live the simple life". After we moved in, I had a sign made to put above our front door that says "welcome to the simple life". From that, The Simple Life Farm was born.

Our farm name is JT Double M Farm. When we purchased a few minis as a hobby 3 years ago we named the farm Double M Farm. no JT in front of it. After we decided to make it more than a hobby we went to register the farm name with the registries but Double M Farm was taken. So we added JT to the beginning. JT stands for our names Judy and Tasha. Double M stands for Magnificent Miniatures. The reason we picked Magnificent Miniatures is because we have a Standard Poodle who's registered name is Magnificent Millie. At that time we were also going to raise Standard Poodles and wanted to keep "Magnificent" in the names. Maybe in the future we'll be able to. At this time we have 5 dogs, not all standard poodles though. The last one I brought home I found at the feed store. She wasn't even 8 weeks old and someone had dumped her there. Poor thing, I couldn't leave her there. Now she has a forever home. Anyways, off topic but thats our story behind our farm name. It is kind of long though when registering foals as you are allowed no more than 32 letters, including spaces.

Our last name is Kavelman and we live in a Village called Belmore

So we combined our name with where we live.

KAVELBEL

The name of my ranch is Silver Mist Ranch. Silver Mist was my first mare - mother to my beloved Cody who I lost several years ago. Misty was of the Just bloodlines, and was one of the best horses I've ever had. She eventually developed Cushings/IR which got me heavily involved in learning about this area and becoming a moderator for the Yahoo Cushings/IR site. She was 21 years old and I was blessed to have met her.

Liz R.

Shadow Paints Miniatures

no we dont nesicarily raise paints (although i DO LOVE some chrome)

Years ago, i bought my first horse. She was beautiful, a red dun QH mare by Sir quincy dan and out of Zella Bar. my dream mare. my heart mare. she was everything. she was the first horse i ever trained all on my own, i could do sooo many things with her we barrel raced, competed in western pleasure, trail, equitation classes, halter etc. we always did well.

Shadow004.jpg

that is shadow at 4 years old.

she gave me the cofidence i needed to do well.

i was ready to raise QH, i was so excited!

But the unthinkable happened. some idiot let my 2 horses out of my pasture . i couldnt catch them . they ran into the road and got hit and killed by a truck, right in front of me. it was horrible.

i decided that i was done with horses. but a year after this tragedy, i dreamed of my precious mare and she was trotting with a herd of beautiful miniature horses. it was a beautiful painting. Shadow painted the minis, SHE is the only reason i am raising and training minis.

Shadow painted my future, and i strongly believe that she has a part in every win, every training day and every foaling ... so, thats why we are

Shadow Paints Miniatures

she painted a beautiful dream didnt she?

My inlaws bought this farm in 1961. In March 1996, my Mother-in-law passed away and my Father-in-law decided he would like some minis. Well, he got a few--lol--we had 50 before the end of the year. Since we wanted to show and raise them we needed a farm name. Dave recalled that his mother always wanted to call the farm Foy's Rolling Hills because of its gently rolling hills, we decided on that so she would be a part of it all even though she would only see it from above. It has evolved to Foys with out the ' for some reason but I am not sure why.

Ours is simple
default_biggrin.png

I was dreaming up all these neat, elegant names and my hubby vetoed them all. Until nothing was left except our initials.

He is K.O. and I am R.O. but KORO sounded dumb so it's ROKO. (not much better but it was the only name he liked) Pronounced ROE KOE! And that's why it's all in caps, it's our initials.

Like my forum name is REO, just my initials LOL
default_rolleyes.gif

Here in the UK it is not the norm to change a farm name when we move 'house', but we do prefix our mini herds and 'carry' this with us no matter where we move to in the country - the actual 'farm' name stays with the farm.

We are the Ancaster stud and the name came about due to a small private school that my g/daughter attended when she was younger. A brilliant little school, it eventually ran out of funding and the owners of the ground/buildings wanted to sell them for building houses earning themselves a fortune! The children's parents and g/parents tried to raise the money to buy the land, but failed and the school closed. It was called Charters Ancaster School. So in memory of a very special school the Ancaster Stud ws born in 1995.

Anna

Shadow Paints Miniatures

no we dont nesicarily raise paints (although i DO LOVE some chrome)

Years ago, i bought my first horse. She was beautiful, a red dun QH mare by Sir quincy dan and out of Zella Bar. my dream mare. my heart mare. she was everything. she was the first horse i ever trained all on my own, i could do sooo many things with her we barrel raced, competed in western pleasure, trail, equitation classes, halter etc. we always did well.

Shadow004.jpg

that is shadow at 4 years old.

she gave me the cofidence i needed to do well.

i was ready to raise QH, i was so excited!

But the unthinkable happened. some idiot let my 2 horses out of my pasture . i couldnt catch them . they ran into the road and got hit and killed by a truck, right in front of me. it was horrible.

i decided that i was done with horses. but a year after this tragedy, i dreamed of my precious mare and she was trotting with a herd of beautiful miniature horses. it was a beautiful painting. Shadow painted the minis, SHE is the only reason i am raising and training minis.

Shadow painted my future, and i strongly believe that she has a part in every win, every training day and every foaling ... so, thats why we are

Shadow Paints Miniatures

she painted a beautiful dream didnt she?
Such a sad story. She sounded like a dream horse.

I used to be "GlacierRidge" on here, but "lost" my sign in info...lol.

We named our farm Glacier Ridge because we live right on a terminal morraine, right where the glacier stopped. We have two kettle ponds behind the house, and a state-wide glacial trail that passes right on the other side of our yard, and back into the woods. Also, the "ridge" part also came because we have a big hill in our pasture, and I am lucky enough to have grown up on this property, and was able to build a house here, in what used to be pastureland. My first horse as a child, Molly, used to stand up on that hill all the time...and she was so beautiful standing on that ridge. All you'd see is a silhouette. The city limits have grown since we moved here, and since then, glacier-related street names and things have popped up...in fact, I work at a school named very similarly to our farm name. We came up with this name 12 years ago....way before any of these new places and neighborhoods were built. Glacier Ridge has kinda just stuck....because really, it's where we are.

Angie

We live two miles from the Pacific Ocean in California. My interest from the start was to raise pintos as I just LOVE all the patterns.

The name Pacific means "peace".

We loved the way Pacific Pintos sounded when we said it and the name stuck.

Enjoying reading everyones posts, especially shadowpaints-wow.

Ours is WRS Farms. WRS is mine & my husband initials, William & Rebecca Shepherd. We can't do what we do without each other.
default_wub.png

We live on a road called Woodland Rd and we are in a very wooded area here so it was easy for us to use the name Woodland Acres.

Latest posts

Back