~HOW DID YOU~

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markadoodle

Reaction score
Just curious...

I was thinking about a lot of farm names and was wondering... I wonder how they named it? I wonder if there is a horse or story behind it?

So...

I bring you these questions- What is your farm name and is there a story behind it? If so, what's the story?

Just wondering
default_smile.png

I am soooo interested in reading your stories!

Our farm name is JNK Miniatures. . .

My husband actually came up with the name - his name is "Jordan" and my name is "Katie" so he took the first letter of each of our names which is "J" and "K" so he put an "N" in the middle to stand for the "and" inbetween it.

Basicly "J and K" turned into "JNK".

Good topic!!
default_aktion033.gif

nothing exciting to tell , we chose the name between us ,my husband patrick chose CELTIC because hes irish and I chose MIST because it reminds me of home ( the fenlands of England - it has lots of ground mist on early mornings)

I live next to the Creta Hills. Used to be a small town here named Creta as well. Some maps will even show it.
default_smile.png

when we purchased our farm in 1981, it had been vacant for long time - all 153 acres of it - and no house for years as the original old farmhouse had burnt down years prior.

With that said, there was an unheard of population of deer on the property as nobody had hunted it either. Around here it's actually Whitetail deer.

So, back in 1981 - we established the farm name of White Tail Farm ... for the abundance of white tail deer on the property.

When we got into the minis few years ago, we felt we had to keep the farm name so many were accustomed to - and weren't going to make up a new name.

Now, years ago to abbreviate White Tail Farm with "the three initials" didn't get the reactions it does now a-days LOL too funny.
default_new_shocked.gif

This past weekend was opening day of deer season and my husband was thrilled to harvest this huge 9-point buck on our own farm - so I think the name stills suites us pretty well:

IMG00047-20101128-0908.jpg

We actually have had a few people ask "do all your horses have white tails?" ha ha

I have to chime in on this one. My Dad actually came up with the name over 30 years ago. My parents bred Appaloosa horses and he came up with the Tyee Ranch name. They operated under that for years. He passed away in 1979. When I got back into the miniatures I wanted a name that meant something to me. Tyee was a given. The word Tyee has two meanings. In Greek, it means "Shining" and the Indians used Tyee as "Chief".

My farm is Fox Squirrel Farm. I named it that after seeing what I thought was at first a black cat sitting on my fence one day, but realized it was a black squirrel. I had never seen one before moving here. It turns out it is called a Fox Squirell.

I really wanted something that communicated how fun, kid-friendly and colorful Miniature Horses can be. My inspiration happened at work one day when I was coloring with my kids (I work as a nanny). Crayonbox was just perfect!

Well I came up with the name "Mountain View Farms" as we have an awesome view of TWO Mountains on our property. Great topic Kay!
default_wub.png

Our farm is On Target Miniatures which is named after my "big" pinto Target. Our first mini was bought as a companion for Target, and you all know how that goes..... We actually have 2 other busineses with the On Target prefix - On Target Health Data (my consulting business, which was the first to have the "On Target" name) and On Target Web Services (Gary's business). The name seems to be quite adaptable!

Nixons Hill Farms evolved because of this farm's history.

We are located on the edge of a small town and the kids from town always came here for tobogganing, skating and skiing. ( They don't come out so much anymore but it's still "Nixons Hill" in the town's memories).

My Dad, Dale Nixon, bought this farm in the 1920's and we bought the farm from the estate in 1988.

There are nice hills right at the front of the farm and a gully where there is always a huge skating area.

I love living my retirement time that I have left, in the place where I was born and raised. Lots of good memories and we have tried to keep things as a tribute to my parents.

When I first got minis my big horse friends would say what can they do- they can jump? they can drive? Seemed I spent a lot of time telling everyone they were much tougher then they appeared.. so from that became Ruff N Tuff Minis

I've always called my farm KMA Farm because I had donkeys and the kma stood for kiss my butt but I don't have donkeys anymore and there's a mini farm that goes by kma farm.Now I'm Morrisville farm because Morris is my boyfriend of 25 yrs last name.

We wanted to be a small farm with only a few top quality horses, Hence "Limited Edition"

When we bought our first miniature horse in 1990, we had four pygmy goats and decided we should give ourselves a farm name. We also knew we were going to purchase one or more minis........so MINIATURE VENTURES is what we decided on after going around and around about it.
default_rolleyes.gif

Ours looks fairly simple but it was really tough figuring it out. I thought of Sandy Hill since Sandy is my name and this whole place is basicly sand (I believe we live on a huge ant hill LOL) but it didn't include hubby. Next we tried to use a reference to our AGE with Mini Achers. That looked a bit silly and some people didn't get the pun so we finally settled on Navarre Mini Acres --our family; we have minis; and we don't have much land here!

We live in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains and as we carved out a little pasture/meadow from all the huge evergreen trees for our first miniature horse the little meadow seemed so picturesque that the name Mountain Meadows popped into mind. We have tried to maintain that "little meadow" vision with all our continued clearing of our property so now we have several meadows that are freckled with groves of fir and cedar trees for the horses to rest under. Doesn't hurt that we also have a beautiful view of Mount Rainier!

About 30 years ago my Dad came up with the name for our farm, even before I had mini's. Noble is my married name--my family name is Vandenbroek (my parents are from Holland)--which translates to "from the brook" My parents had given us some money to use for our new farm and we decided to use it to put up a ranch sign over our driveway (can be seen on my website www.noblebrookfarm.com ) It is even more special to me now as my Dad passed away a couple of yrs ago.

Latest posts

Back