How did you get started?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've loved horses for as long as I can remember, my best friend got me hooked when I was in the first grade. I bought my first riding horse while in high school, bought my second while in college, raised the third while living out of state, (moved home, got married) bought another at an auction, raised two more and would collect many more if my husband would let me. I have 5 riding horses; one is for sale (maybe two). As I don't ride as much as I used to and I can only ride one at a time; I decided I wanted a mini. Two of my aquaintences have minis for their kids, well they are so darn cute that I started looking into them. I contacted the local mini breeder, she had already sold the last of that year's foals, so I started looking on line and fell in love with the little guy in my avatar and the rest as they say is history. I bought a mare about 2 months after the stallion, I am bringing home a weanling filly in September and just Saturday found a really nice weanling filly that I would like to bring home. I just have to sell my APHA filly, so I can bring home a couple more minis. I plan to get down to my 3 riding geldings and hope to bring my minis up to 4 or 5.
biggrin.gif

I just love their personalities.

I have also had horses on and off my whole life. My husband and I had gotten into AQHA's...and had been breeding them. Well, I kept having accidents...ripped of my foot...had a horse rear over backwards and land on me....nice things like that! I got to the point that I was scared to death to get on and ride any more. After one of my accidents I had a lady come out to look at one of our AQHA mares and we started talking about her minis...and next thing I knew...I had a mini stallion and a mare. I showed the stallion for several years and actually still own him...he's a gelding now....and from then on I was a gonner...we now have close to 20! I enjoy them a lot more than I ever did our AQHAs
yes.gif

Here is my first mini....Black Tie Affair:

tazzheadshot.jpg

Tracy

Thanks Nicole....I wanted him from the first moment I saw his picture...and it wasn't even a good picture of him! I just knew I HAD to have him
wub.gif

Tracy

I've ridden horses since I was 6 and I've always enjoyed just being around them more than riding them. This became even more apparant as riding became more competitive when I got older and more advanced. I wanted it to just be me and my horse, and wanted to find a barn where everyone wasn't all in your face about everything. I wasn't finding luck though and after taking a break from riding I was missing horses so much! I didn't know what to do, I was miserable in lessons but couldn't stand being without a horse. So one day we were driving to my aunts house and we past a miniature horse farm. My mom mentioned how they would be perfect for me and it hit me right then and there, they would be perfect for me! So after some research and a farm visit or two I now am the proud owner of Six Gems Spotted Fever and I am sure there is no girl happier than I am when I'm at the barn with Fever!

I got started because when I first saw them and couldn't believe my eyes !

I had always owned big horses but the ninis just stole my heart immediately because they are so small, and so cute, AND they are horses
wub.gif
!!!!

Well my parents trained race horses, and followed in their footsteps, my husband was a th-bred jockey. When my daughter started school it was time to stop moving around and we quit and got regular jobs ugghh. Anyhow still had my lead pony left all by himself so thought we would get him a buddy. Well 5 yrs later and 12 horses later......

We have been in horses all of my life. Big ones that is. But 18 years ago this

past May I purchased our first Miniature horse, a colt. Barely Lightening, I can't

believe its been 18 years. We still have him, and he is the Grandsire to our Gabriel Wings. Barely Lightening (aka --Little Bits as he was a big biter in his

younger days) still looks like a 2 year old.

lightening1.jpg

We purchased him from Little America Minis. I was working for Taco Bueno at the time. We were at a training convention. Tony was the one of the instructors, and

we were suppose to be checking out other Restaurant's. Tony was telling us about his miniature horse farm. We begged him to take us to see it. Well we did, I had always dream of owning one. Well, two weeks later I purchased

this red and white pinto colt. When he was weaned we brought him home in the back of our truck. Mom and I rode in the back of the truck with him and held him. Wow, 18 years have passed.

Vicky

Last edited by a moderator:
Visited the Kentucky Horse Park & they happened to be having the Julep Cup Show back in 1986... Went home found a lady that had one running around the yard with her big dogs. Bought it for me as a pet as I do not care for big horses. The whole family got the bug when we started showing & driving him. Lee sold the big horses. Bought some more minis. At that point we loaded up every horse we owned & showed it. No feeder needed.

my father in-law answered a for sale ad in the local paper. We went to the house and told us where the mini was, we went out and couldn't find him !! Billy had over 70 horses he just kept as a hobby! Anway Rocky was standing behind a wall and he was a character ! Big mane. only 28" the kids rode him, he had a cart etc. He covered a neighbours mare. So I thought I'd get one of my own!! Bought Rainbow from Jane (rabbits Fizz) unfortunately he got out of his field and was hit on the road by a lorry. So I went to back to Jane and got 3! Carillion, Derby and a mare Polly. and the rest is history !

So it was thanks to my father-in laws sense of humour !

I've owned and ridden horses since I was born, but a few years ago the pain in my knee started getting so bad that I knew I was going to have to give up riding. I wanted to raise a few horses but knew I could only afford a small property, so minis seemed perfect.

Toby was my first mini.
aktion033.gif

ChanceOfGoldBTUtopia_20020613_150wx140h.jpg

Soon after I got into Shetlands when I was visiting Buckeye Farm and saw a filly with the most amazing trot.
new_shocked.gif
She wasn't for sale at the time, but a few months later Getitia called me as asked if I would like to buy her. I had just lost my job and had no money, but I KNEW I had to have this filly! Getitia was kind enough to work out a very generous payment plan. Her first foal was Reserve Champion Classic Weanling at Congress last year.

101.JPG

Latest posts

Back