How did you find out about the breed Mini's?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Palomino~

Reaction score
I allways like to here stories about people finding out about the miniature horse since its not a breed you would see everyday out in the feild!! I have met adults that have never even seen them before!! So tell us how you came accross them!

my story is kinda funny,

okay, I used to live by the rodeo grounds (still kinda do but it is farther away) and there was the cutest shetland pony over there and I decided I want a pony like that, so I went home and got looking on the internet and found the breed miniature, it was to good to be true for me!! I printed out all these pictures and showed my grandpa, and he told my mom about this lady named Marsha Web that my mom and grandpa new cause she used to live in the same town as them, and he told her how she lives in Huntsville and she has miniature horses, so I started searching and I found Marsha(Kenley's) web-site, so I gave her a call and said hey do you know Roger Earley(my grandpa) she said, yeeaaahhhh(kinda just saying it, she didnt know it forsure) I said owe, he is my grandpa and I go do you know his daughter Grace(my mom) and she said I think so..... so me my mom and dad(maybe he didnt go that day) headed up to Huntsville, when we got there I was just shocked about these TINY CUTE horses! My mom went up to Marsha and they huged, my mom said, I dont think you are the same Marsha I know, and Marsha said, I dont think I know you either and my mom asked what her maiden name was and it wasnt Web, so I dont know HOW my grandpa heard about her! We just laughed at it! The reason why Marsha said she did know my granpa is cause there was some people from his town that came up and she thought that it was him!!

I am sooooooooooooooooo thankfull for my grandpa or I probably wouldnt be on this Forum right now, or own two BEAUTIFULL Miniature horses!!

-Gage-

I knew about miniature horses but had never seen them, when, about fifteen years ago or so, I saw an ad for the grand opening of a nearby mall, and it said that there would be MINIATURE HORSES there. I was so excited, I marked it on my calendar, and took my two young daughters with me on that day. One of the minis they had there was nearly identical to my black and white pinto (big horse) that has blue eyes. I fell in love. This filly wasn't for sale, but I asked lots of questions about miniatures, and from that day on, I kept my eyes open for miniatures. I found one in the classifieds at long last, and went to see her, and the rest is history!
wub.gif

sorry, pressed submit twice!
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the first time I had seen a miniature horse was when I was like 5 at "The Land Of Little Horses" in PA. I had a blast there and then I saw them again every year at our highschool carnival's petting zoo. However, it wasn't until years later that I fell in love
wub.gif
!

I went to meet my Aunt and Uncle...Ron and Brenda Inches...for the first time. They were selling mini tack at a miniature horse show in Ord, NE. Ron helped me buy my first one that day.

Sorry for being a "lazy bones". I am "cutting an pasting" what my wife wrote on our web page.

Tommy for Dawn

One winters day in 1993 while on business trip in Rome, NY, Tommy and I were watching a TV program called Mac & Mutley. It was a show about animals and their interesting relationships with humans. That particular day, we were watching a segment about miniature horses that featured Barbara Norman of Winner's Circle Ranch of Petaluma, California. We were so inspired by her segment about Miniature Horses that we decided to change from raising Quarter Horses to raising Miniatures.

Our situation had us far from home for quite some time, but we wanted to maintain a strong involvement with our little equines. We also wanted a good breeding program in the works to look forward to when we got back from the business travels. So after much debate we made the decision to part with our prospective Quarter Horse herd sire by "The Dominion that we named "Dominion's Two Eyed" at the Palomino World Show/Sale in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1994 and waged a major search for information about miniatures.

We went to the library, wrote Barbara Norman, and wrote literally everyone on the AMHA breeders list that consisted of about 600 foreign and domestic folks at that time. Amidst the mound of great info we received there was a video tape of the horses Grosshill Farm of Branchville, New Jersey had available that year. While viewing their tape of over 50 horses a tiny yearling colt only 24 1/2 inches tall, all haired up, (other than his face) caught our eye. His name was Grosshill's El Hombre Falabella! Hombre's first foal crop arrived spring of 1997 and produced 2 very colorful colts! One appaloosa and the other a pintaloosa.

In 2005 we decided to focus on the dream we started in 94 and made the decision to bolster our appaloosa breeding program by purchasing two gorgeous colts. One was a bay leopard appaloosa colt "CCMF Legacy's Legend" the other a red snowcap stallion "Little America's D.S. Dream Catcher". We will be crossing them on some of "Hombre" mares and our other beauties in hopes of producing some quality, colorful appaloosa foals

I used to breed show cats and met another breeder and we started working together on our cats. I went over to her place one day to see her cats and saw all her minis. I remember she had a gorgeous bay mare in the herd that was for sale for $10,000 and that was 18 years ago. I ended up getting my two pet geldings from her a few years later as yearlings.They are both 14 years old now.

When I lived in Sonoma County California and worked at the feed store we took hay to a mini horse ranch. Winners circle Ranch. That was a number of years ago.

About 20 years ago a stable in Fort Myers held a contest to raffle off a miniature stallion named something something Sitting Bull. I think he was a pinto but don't really remember. You had to send in $15.00 for your entree fee.

I won.

But then they changed thier minds and said they decided to keep him and sent back everyone's money.

Disappointed I went to visit him anyhow and got to really like him and the other minis that were there. That is when I decided that someday I would get a mini of my own and so here we are.

I saw an add on the internet for parrots...I went to see them and bought my timneh african gray. I became mezmerized by all of the miniatures that this gal had as well. I ended up buying three ( and she did not presure me ) and the rest is hystory!
wink.gif
wub.gif
rolleyes.gif

Wel....28 years ago there were no Miniatures here. Forty years ago, or so, I had seen an Ad in Western Horseman that advertised Little Blue Boy (before that I had seen Tiny Tim in an ad and thought- I don't want to breed that!!) When I saw Blue Boy I thought- Oh HO!!!! As I said there were none over here. I saw a couple of "falabellas" at a show and was very unimpressed. So- didn't want them either!! Then I went very unwillingly to buy a Shetland for my partners younger daughter. In the middle of the field there were five exquisite Miniatures surrounded by a load of grotty Shetlands. I bought all five. No papers, no problem- the book was open at the time. I registered eight "ponies" with the AMHA and bred my own Miniature Horses, since no one else seemed interested. Now the rest of England has caught up !! So- you have how I got started and how I found out about them all in one!!!

Gage said:
I allways like to here stories about people finding out about the miniature horse since its not a breed you would see everyday out in the feild!!  I have met adults that have never even seen them before!! So tell us how you came accross them!

my story is kinda funny,

okay,  I used to live by the rodeo grounds (still kinda do but it is farther away) and there was the cutest shetland pony over there and I decided I want a pony like that,  so I went home and got looking on the internet and found the breed miniature,  it was to good to be true for me!!  I printed out all these pictures and showed my grandpa,  and he told my mom about this lady named Marsha Web that my mom and grandpa new cause she used to live in the same town as them,  and he told her how she lives in Huntsville and she has miniature horses,  so I started searching and I found Marsha(Kenley's) web-site,  so I gave her a call and said hey do you know Roger Earley(my grandpa) she said, yeeaaahhhh(kinda just saying it, she didnt know it forsure) I said owe, he is my grandpa and I go do you know his daughter Grace(my mom) and she said I think so..... so me my mom and dad(maybe he didnt go that day) headed up to Huntsville,  when we got there I was just shocked about these TINY CUTE horses!  My mom went up to Marsha and they huged,  my mom said, I dont think you are the same Marsha I know,  and Marsha said, I dont think I know you either and my mom asked what her maiden name was and it wasnt Web,  so I dont know HOW my grandpa heard about her!  We just laughed at it!  The reason why Marsha said she did know my granpa is cause there was some people from his town that came up and she thought that it was him!!

I am sooooooooooooooooo thankfull for my grandpa or I probably wouldnt be on this Forum right now, or own two BEAUTIFULL Miniature horses!!

-Gage-

440106[/snapback]

Well one of my best friends Gage got his first miniture horse Magic and he has told me a lot about them, and got me pretty familiar with them and ever since that I have just liked them and like hearing new things about them.

Chelsey, your such a dork LOL, NOW you need to GET one!!
default_smile.png

-Gage-

Taxi said:
Gage said:
I allways like to here stories about people finding out about the miniature horse since its not a breed you would see everyday out in the feild!!  I have met adults that have never even seen them before!! So tell us how you came accross them!

my story is kinda funny,

okay,  I used to live by the rodeo grounds (still kinda do but it is farther away) and there was the cutest shetland pony over there and I decided I want a pony like that,  so I went home and got looking on the internet and found the breed miniature,   it was to good to be true for me!!  I printed out all these pictures and showed my grandpa,  and he told my mom about this lady named Marsha Web that my mom and grandpa new cause she used to live in the same town as them,  and he told her how she lives in Huntsville and she has miniature horses,  so I started searching and I found Marsha(Kenley's) web-site,  so I gave her a call and said hey do you know Roger Earley(my grandpa) she said, yeeaaahhhh(kinda just saying it, she didnt know it forsure) I said owe, he is my grandpa and I go do you know his daughter Grace(my mom) and she said I think so..... so me my mom and dad(maybe he didnt go that day) headed up to Huntsville,  when we got there I was just shocked about these TINY CUTE horses!  My mom went up to Marsha and they huged,  my mom said, I dont think you are the same Marsha I know,  and Marsha said, I dont think I know you either and my mom asked what her maiden name was and it wasnt Web,  so I dont know HOW my grandpa heard about her!  We just laughed at it!  The reason why Marsha said she did know my granpa is cause there was some people from his town that came up and she thought that it was him!!

-Gage-

440106[/snapback]

Well one of my best friends Gage got his first miniture horse Magic and he has told me a lot about them, and got me pretty familiar with them and ever since that I have just liked them and like hearing new things about them.

442933[/snapback]

WEEEELLLLL, I had a friend who was going to look at some minis and wanted me to go to give my opinions. That's all I did on the way there was give her my opinion
laugh.gif
Why do you want those short little things, what are you going to do beside feed them, you already have the perfect breed of "real" horses etc etc. Well, we got to the farm and while she was looking, this little palomino filly kept following me around. The owner commented on how weird it was because she was kinda shy with most people including them. Then we also saw a gorgeous pinto pony that had a drop dead gorgeous filly at her side. Well, guess who ended up buying that trip. And not only the palomino, but I also bought the pony mare as the registry was still open then.
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back