How did you decide to have a minihorse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorse

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I know how adorable minihorses are, but each owner must have different reasons for having one. So, I'm curious, how did you decide to have a minihorse?

My daughter talked me into it!
Ok, I have had horses for what seems like centuries... And I fell in love with donkeys. My daughter talked about wanting to try training a mini horse. Well, we're already set up and have the skill set to do it successfully, so I checked online and found this young filly for $50 (CAD!!) in the next province over. I talked with the owner, the pictures showed her to be tolerant and moderately ok in the conformation department. I had a friend going through that way with a horse trailer so I sent the money around and Jasmine the Therapony came home. She didn't become the therapony for 6 months, but there was not a single day she made me regret buying her site unseen. Her feet were very neglected and we've worked diligently, regularly to improve them, and improve they have! She's taken to everything my daughter has asked of her and has touched the lives of hundreds.

I wish all littles had her personality and willingness. I also wish that it wasn't the case that so many are left neglected and improperly cared for in someone's back yard, as Jasmine was.

Here's Ali and Jasmine the day we brought the little one home.

Attachments

• IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
I'll TRY to keep it short...
Several months after getting a better position at work I realized I could afford to board a horse (after many years of not having a horse). I started looking ...but kept making excuses not to go see horses (it's too hot, too late today....not that it's unusual for me to put off doing things that make me uncomfortable...like dealing with strangers...but, I've always managed to suck it up and do it in the past when it comes to horse related things) after realizing what I was doing and trying to figure out why I realized I was burnt out on riding!! 🤯 To say it was devastating would be an understatement...I was very depressed for about two weeks (people kept asking me what was wrong because I seemed so sad) then I figured out the reason I was upset was because I felt that if I wasn't interested in riding I couldn't have a horse....once I figured that out I realized I could work around that....at first I thought of a horse that wasn't sound for riding, but that presented other issues.....then I realized a miniature horse or pony would be perfect! Did some research (learned a LOT here) to make sure.

I was almost 50 before I was able to have a horse again. We moved to Oklahoma, living in an RV while we figured out what to do. I knew I wanted a bay, and there happened to be a breeder only a few miles away. Dapper Dan and his brother looked alike, but then Dapper Dan stuck out his tongue and I knew he was the one I wanted. He was a 5 year old stallion, barely handled. I wasn't sure I liked his name and tried to think of other names (my bil wanted to call him Ivan the Terrible) but after awhile Dapper Dan tripped off my tongue easily and now I can't imagine him called anything else. While in the RV we were actually in the pasture. Dapper Dan frequently came up to the RV door to invite us out to socialize.
I had very little idea what I was doing. We learned from each other over the last 20 years. He is a horse with personality!
Just off the trailer at his new home.

Attachments

• marsha, horse, badger jpg.jpg
    marsha, horse, badger jpg.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
When we moved to our home here, everything was rural. There was lots of space to ride. The city has since surrounded our area and we lost our open area to ride. So, when my horses passed I knew I would not be getting any more. When I retired I wanted to volunteer somewhere to get my horse fix in. I started volunteering at a ranch with many different animals including minis. First time being around them and I was in love. 6 months later I brought 2 minis home. I good fit for me knowing my riding days were over but I still have plenty of area to get walks and exercise in.

I've never liked riding (hate it in fact), but have always loved horses and caring for them. Rather than deal with all the comments of "you have a horse but don't ride?" I went for minis as my first horses. Also, they're the cutest little things and its adorable how small they are. People's reactions to first seeing them is priceless. Also, they are full of character. Aggie and Winston are possibly the best thing that's happened to me.

Finally figured out the only thing hard about riding is the ground 🤣🤣 it isn’t a matter of IF you will come off, it is a matter of WHEN. And the older I get the more it hurts 🤣🤣

I got my first mini, retired my riding horses, and haven’t looked back. Sold my truck and trailer, bought a cargo van to haul them in and of course bought more minis. Wish I knew now what I didn’t know back then, but if I could go back in time I would have gone straight for minis 😍 they truly are the sweetest little things, they are so stinking cute and they have so much love to give. Plus they are always up for a challenge and very easy to work with.

Who knew carting would be so much fun!! I’m having the time of my life!♥️♥️

87010667-579D-4F27-BBB1-19DF1BADBB8B.jpeg

I had a bucket list to learn to drive. I talked to a lady with a driving horse for sale and she told me since I had not driven perhaps I needed to try ot first. She put me in the direction of a really nice couple and they were able to give me a couple lessons, but their best horses for that was a mini. I fell in love and ended up buying that mini. I had 5 fun years with him before I lost him to liver failure. But I still have minis after riding big horses for years. I love them.

Here is my horse, Copper, who passed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210527-095658_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210527-095658_Samsung Internet.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 0
Finally figured out the only thing hard about riding is the ground 🤣🤣 it isn’t a matter of IF you will come off, it is a matter of WHEN. And the older I get the more it hurts 🤣🤣

I got my first mini, retired my riding horses, and haven’t looked back. Sold my truck and trailer, bought a cargo van to haul them in and of course bought more minis. Wish I knew now what I didn’t know back then, but if I could go back in time I would have gone straight for minis 😍 they truly are the sweetest little things, they are so stinking cute and they have so much love to give. Plus they are always up for a challenge and very easy to work with.

Who knew carting would be so much fun!! I’m having the time of my life!♥️♥️

View attachment 48269
I would desperately love to teach my mare Aggie to drive. The rescue agreed that she seems to have some training for driving (but we're trying to get her asthma under control first).

Been around horses in one form ar another all my life. 5 yess ago I had several minor strokes and we had to sell our aircraft maintenance company and lost our house. There is almost a year I don't remember but my wife knew I liked horses and found us a job with housing at a boarding facility. Within weeks of being around horses again I was starting to get better. We were there almost a year when my wife got a very good job and finally were able to get another house. I kept going places with horses and checking Craigslist. We got Yazhi 3 years ago when he was 6 months old and has been the best therapist ever! We resuced a mini donkey and a thoroughbred since then and just got 18 acres for a small horse rescue and learning farm. Horses saved me so it is my turn to save them!

Attachments

• 20211011_134312.jpg
    20211011_134312.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211011_134421.jpg
    20211011_134421.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200805_112815.jpg
    20200805_112815.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back