How can I get her to eat grain??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpotze

Reaction score
I am looking for some ideas to get this baby to eat some grain. I got her at a sale last Sat. and she'll eat grass and hay, but won't touch the grain. She is a sweety and so smart, has learned to lead after a few tries; so much more cooperative than my geldings I had several years ago. Any ideas???

bpotze from BeZes Minis

Well donkeys are so very easy keepers unlike some mini horses that if this baby is in real good shape and plump for the up coming winter she may not need to have any grain at all As lonmg as she is eating grass and hay, there is sufficient nutients in just that. I know I got my first donk at 4 months of age and would only give a "handfull" of grain and that was really just for a treat..Donks take so little food to live on because of the way they were bred...Living in mostly with very little vegetation..I know it is hard to see a baby not wanting to eat grain but do this put a small flake of hay on the ground sprinkle some grain on top of the hay and see if she will at least nibble on some of the grain as she eats the hay, Just a thought..

I know on the donkey boards many people say only feed grass hay to donkeys no alfalfa or even alfalfa mixed hay, donkeys just6y don't need that kind of protein,,, But i have been feeding mine a mix of about 30% alfalfa mixed with grain but just so little a flake that one can barily feel the wieght of the flake when carrying it...

I just recently had a mini weanling that did not want to eat his grain.

I started giveing him his grain first when he was hungry and waiting to give him his hay which he would dive right in to. This encouraged him to eat his grain because he ws hungry. He now eats his grain right along with his hay, he just needed to figure out that he liked it.

Latest posts

Back