How can I find out if my filly is Arenosa or not??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHoofBeats

Reaction score
I don't have her extended pedigree and I am not familiar with the arenosa lines and names, how can I find out for sure if she has arenosa in her bloodlines or not??? She is B sized and very refined and someone recently asked if she was arenosa and of course I shrugged my shoulders lol.

Any help would be fantastic!

[SIZE=14pt]If she doesnt have any ARENOSA prefix horses in the first three generations that doesnt necessarily mean that she doesnt have any arenosa blood, it just means it is probably mixed with other things. Comon ARENOSA lines are Establo, A Stable Business, Mini V, BUckeye WCF , and many others. Rabbit Hutch Ranch also I think had arenosa lines..... Having a Sr moment here and cant remember many of them
wacko.gif
[/SIZE]

Lyn

Thanks very much for your input!

Would anyone be able to get an extended (past the 4th generation) pedigree for AMHR - Longman's Shadow Sinclair ????

I didn't find any of those names in her first 4 generations but I am still curious if she is any part arenosa lol.

A couple of other farm names are -- Sundance, and AClassic Touch....

MA

lyn_j said:
[SIZE=14pt]If she doesnt have any ARENOSA prefix horses in the first three generations that doesnt necessarily mean that she doesnt have any arenosa blood, it just means it is probably mixed with other things. Comon ARENOSA lines are Establo, A Stable Business, Mini V, BUckeye WCF , and many others. Rabbit Hutch Ranch also I think had arenosa lines..... Having a Sr moment here and cant remember many of them
wacko.gif
[/SIZE]Lyn

527087[/snapback]

You are right, Rabbit Hutch Ranch does have arenosa lines.
yes.gif

I don't believe your horse has Arenosa lines.....below is his information from the AMHR studbook

2350A STAR'S ENTERPRISE 29.50"

9688A FLABY'S WONDER MAN 30.50"

9631A X'CELLENT-BIRD VAN'T HUTTENEST 27.50"

102272A LOT SA FUN WONDERS MORNING SHADOW 30.75"

17934A BREWER'S ORION SENSATION 31.00"

59169A BREWERS SENSATIONAL CALECHE 30.25"

AMHA: BREWERS SHALIMAR 32.00"

AMHA: J RS GOLDEN BOY 28.50"

60343A BOONE'S LITTLE ANDY 30.25"

AMHA: JUNE P.I. 32.25"

204494A DELLOR FARMS MISS KITTY 34.00"

30064A WINDY HILLS AIM FOR THE HEART 30.50"

45515A BISSEL MOUNDS KITTEN KABOODLE 33.50"

AMHA: J.P.F. SMOKE PEARL 34.00"

We raise ARenosa horse, too - Estacado Farms in Crosby, Texas

Yes I am sorry but there is no Arenosa in your mares pedigree.

Awww, take heart, your horse can still be wonderful even if there is no Arenosa blood in her. *LOL*

Maybe I'm feeling a little inflammatory, but the Arenosa name is a farm name, and though many call it a bloodline, I'm not 100% sure I would call it that. Many of us have farm names, but that does not mean all of our horses are 100% perfect/wonderful, or even worthy of breeding.

I do think and believe that Audrey Barrett (Arenosa owner) was very clear in her goals and very ruthless in her culling of her own stock, and so she produced a much higher percentage of very beautiful ponies, so yes, to have horses from her breeding is usually a good thing, and there are a lot of wonderful and amazingly refined horses coming from that line. I am not talking all of them down, but will say that not every one I've seen has been "breathtaking", just a higher percentage than I've seen from other farm name "lines".

And, for the poor record keeping that was done in some cases, there may well be some horses that are related to the Arenosa horses that we will never know indeed were related. Also, not all beautiful horses are from Arenosa lines.
smile.gif

I've also seen many horses that have the same look, but come from quite separate breeding. Anyway, it is interesting to know your horse's background no matter what you do with them, but especially if you plan on breeding at any point.

Please, noone take offense, just stating an opinion/observation, and not criticizing anyone at all, and certainly not the late Ms. Barrett, for whom I have a great deal of admiration for. She had to be one of the most farsighted and ahead of her time horsewomen I've researched. Plus, she was very generous from what I've heard of her. Her wonderful horses will carry her legacy into generations far beyond, as she planned.

Liz M.

No offense taken from here, Liz.....

What Mrs. Barrett did was to cross two related lines carefully and with culling -- enough so that the result has been an undeniable "look" and style that people can identify.

What's interesting is that people have identified at least a part of that "look and style" in another horse that happens to have a close relationship to the SOURCE of the two stallions Mrs. Barrett started with. And that horse was an AMHA Registered Miniature. He is considered one of the "greats" in the AMHA studbook.

Anyone know who that horse was????

MA

Yes, she did have a vision and was fortunately able to have the knowledge to use to create the type she wanted and it is very nice, imho, the ideal types, but I cannot say every horse I've seen that is Arenosa, even 100% ones, are the best horses I've seen, but rather a great majority of them are excellent. I think there were larger farms with more horses with a lesser ratio of "so-so" to excellent, and therein lies her/Arenosa's greatness.

My guess for your question: Rowdy.

Liz M.

Hey MiniV who was it???? I wanna know too!

Didn't Flaby use Arenosa pre fixed horses in their breeding pool too? Just wondering.

Liz you are right...........many people feel that the Arenosa in a pedigree gives them the save all end of the horse world..........WRONG, and all my horses have HIGH HIGH percentage of Arenosa blood, but each one has their faults. I even have 3 100% horses.

Yes Kim Flaby did have Arenosa bred horses, they did some crossing and produced some 100% foals.............

My personal opinion...............is I want my horses to carry at least 50% arenosa blood crossed with some other bloodline..........as I really like the blended horses.

TEN POINTS GOES TO LIZ!!!! Yes it is Rowdy.

And Rob is correct, Flaby did use Arenosa in his breeding......

MA

I agree that Audrey Barret was a very good breeder and probably a little luck thrown in as well but, she did have a very high ratio of very nice ponies from her program.

I also agree that there is no way to have 100% of your program turn out exceptional and buying Arenosa is not a guarantee of an exceptional horse/pony. You still need to use the same guidelines as you would when buying any other horse/pony.

I am expecting my first crop of Arenosa bred foals this year and am so excited I can hardly stand it. No 100% yet but my stallions are 100%, my mares are blends.

Latest posts

Back