How can I catch him?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minicrazy22393

Reaction score
My mom's friend, Laurie owns three horses. Two are average and one is a Shetland Pony. Buster is the Shetland I need help with. They have a mud pit with a fence around it and a walk-in shelter. Buddy will be nice if I try to catch Buster, but Tuffy and Buster I am worried about. Tuffy hates having people in the pen. Buster I do not know how to catch. I really need some help with him because I would like to start shedding some pounds on him. So, if anyone can help, PLEASE post here. These are very appreciated. If you need to know more to help me, PLEASE post. So, please post tips on how I can catch him. I just have to dig up that halter I bought for him at the county fair last year and never gave to him.
wub.gif

First, I suggest you have help, your mom, or her friend Laurie (would probably be a better bet since she actually owns the horses, and hopefully knows them). It would be best if you had someplace else to put him. A smaller pen that is easier to catch him in, until he learns that he needs to come to you. Your description of a 'mud pit' isn't a very desirable place for any of them to be. I don't know what else to tell you, not knowing your situation, or theirs, but definately don't try slipping around in the mud on your own with horses that aren't used to being caught, and one that doens't like people in there.

Hi: Can you catch the two horses? If you can catch them and remove them until after you catch the pony, that would make the situation a whole lot less dangerous. Once the other two are out of the pen, or at least the one who gives you problems, you can concentrate on the pony. If the run-in shed is not large, with the use of a couple of panels, you can create a catch pen. Have the panels in place, with one acting as a gate and swung wide, place food in the shed, then when the pony goes in, you can swing the 'gate' shut. He'll be in a small area and that will make your task easier. If he's never been haltered....well, better you than me. At the very least, get the horse that gives you trouble out of there. -- if you can. Good luck, Shirlee www.stepnstone.com

Okay, I am going to TSC soon (hopefully) and I will buy somethings I may need. Thanks for the advice. Any more?

If you remove the other two the pony will want back with them which should help in catching him. You will need some sort of temp pen to limit his freedom. I assume of course you have already used grain as a temptation. You might be pleasantly surprised that his disposition might make a radical change once he has a halter on.

Latest posts

Back