How Bo is doing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandminis

Reaction score
Just thought I would post how my gelding Bo with the dislocated hip is progressing. He has found his balance, so to speak, walks using the dislocated leg even though he does not put too much wieght on it. I have noticed he puts a litlle more on it every week. Yesterday I was cleaning his sheath (which never much liked) and managed to stand on the bad leg long enough to wave his good foot at me to say "hey, don't want that" I think the false socket thing must be beginning. He could not have done that 3 weeks ago. Generally he is fairly even when looked at from behind and the support leg is nice and straight. I take pics every 3 or 4 weeks so I can compare over time. Vet recommended this. He does everything a normal horse can do - even runs. When he figured out how to roll again -- that was a happy day and a happy horse! We made a sling for him so I can trim his feet. It has a wide canvas sling so the pick up area is spread out across his abdomen and not concentrated in a narrow area. Even then I only have him in it for very short periods, not more than 5 minutes, and then a rest period. He is such a great horse, while not totally liking it he stands nicely and is very good about it. While this is not what I would have wanted it is certainly an education in overcoming adversity. Bo is an incredible horse as far as I'm concerned.

Good to hear Bo is progressing. I also have a mare who dislocated her hip about ten years ago, was a long 6 months until she adapted and as you said formed a false socket. Now she can do everything the others do, just have to keep the one hoof longer as the dislocated leg is shorter then the normal leg, she runs, rolls, acts just like any other horse!

Back