How big of a yard space is enough for a mini?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is amazing how quickly they can eat a yard bare. My first mini I got was unplanned. The first few days she lived on our deck, Lol! I got a couple stall mats and made a makeshift stall on the deck.(My husband just loved that, haha!) We fenced in the back yard, about 100 x 75 foot area. I put a little 12 × 12 building in there and turned her loose. I penned her in at night but let her play outside all day. She ate the yard bare in no time. I dealt with that by taking her for walks and hand grazing. We moved to a place with acreage and pasture for horses. Small space can work but they will clean away the grass. I kind of enjoyed the bare yard because I could work with her and not have the grass distraction, BUT, it was not enough space. It worked for the short term though. I fed grain and good hay, fresh water, took her to the grass and spent alot of time with her. She has 4 buddies now on about 3 fenced acres. They never eat that away. I do always stall them at night. Minis are a joy!☺ You may get away with it because you would have a larger space than I did. Do limited grazing and you could probably make it work. Just as long as they get to exercise, proper nutrition, vet care, hooves regularly trimmed, regularly wormed, groomed and lots of love everything will be just fine. ☺

For exercise, it'll probably be plenty. If you expect it to sustain her, it probably won't and you'll need to start feeding hay, and know that you will probably end up with a dirt lot.

Because my yard is 200 foot by 60ft
If you plan on keeping her in a yard that size I recommend fencing a portion to be used as drylot and putting down some sort of footing to make cleanup easier and to prevent your yard from turning to into a mudpit. Keep it large enough for training and for when you get that second mini for company.
This way you can use the other area for limited grazing, perhaps even getting portable fencing to rotate grazing areas to allow grass to grow and reestablish.

Latest posts

Back