How are your Minis with Diarrhea???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnyfarmnorth

Reaction score
A while back there was quite a discussion about minis with unexplained diarrhea and there seemed to be more than a few who have experienced it. I was wondering if any one has seen inprovement and what they used. Is this more common in minis than the rest of the horse population? I ask because I have a 3 year old gelding that experiences this every year, usually late summer into late fall. Most of the time he has a formed stool but with a liquid discharge that dribbles and stains his legs. He eats well,maintains weight,plenty of energy no other symptoms. I have had him scoped nose to tail,twice, with no findings. We have taken him off grain,changed his grain,off hay and used Pepto,Bio spunge,increased use of Sand Clear,probiotics and now trying a product called Proviable-EQ with no help. Poop has been tested for worms and sand with no worms and some sand hence the increase in Sand Clear. Yep I tried the Macaroons too. He is now being kept in a "clean" paddock with no vegatation of any kind and fed in his stall with only mat on cement. Still no improvement. I really thought it was acorns,dried leaves or some year end plant. He's been 10 days so far with nothing but what I give him to eat and no treats like apples etc. I don't know what else to do. He seems so normal except his poops. No fever and blood work is normal. Tuesday I will talk to my Vet again and we may biopsy his G I tract and/or start him on steroids. Winter is closing in here in Maine and washing him daily and blow drying is a pain for both of us. I have a 2 year old and a weanling that have occasionsl bouts of the same and 4 other minis that have none. All on same care and feed. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks.

I have a 6 year old mare who does this every year, same time of the year. I think it has to do with the hay and no grazing. During the spring/summer months she's really rather clean. A little of the squirts here and there but not near as much as fall/winter. I really hate her in my barn. She's just destorying the wood with her massive squirts and loose stool. Its EVERYWHERE! But come spring/summer when there is grazing again, they are fed less hay and she cleans up. Were unemployed as it is so we can't afford to buy alfalfa hay to start testing hay out. Were actually looking at finding her a new home. She has alot of issues and we just can't afford her bills anymore.

If it is seasonal like that, it may be that your horse is eating acorns, or more of the falling leaves. Maybe some type of weed at that time? Something like that can affect them.

I have a 2 year old who has unexplained diarrhea. He has a very sensative stomach so we never know. It usually happens when the weather changes suddently so were thinking its due to that. We just sit it out. He get the same food with some probios and if its really bad we will give him some bio-sponge. It usually clears up.

I also agree with susanminiponygirl.

we may biopsy his G I tract
Might not be a bad idea. I had a mini who had unexplained diarrhea, but it was not seasonal. As it turned out, she had intestinal lymphoma. At least you can rule that out with a biopsy.

Best wishes,

Liz R.

Fortunately, I haven't had an issue with mine unless I feed them too rich. A little bio spounge and we are good to go.

I have a friend who's horse bloats and gets terrible diareah year round. Probios, biosponge.....nothing works. His sire had it too. Has anyone else had it run in the lines? Just a thought.

Sorry to hear you are having all this trouble. Just going to throw some things out there for whatever its worth:

1. Acorns are BAD BAD BADA dose of activated charcoal may be in order if you know he is eating them

2. Keep in mind that as the summer grass dies out, fall grass will grow and can can be considered rich and possibly cause an imbalance and also founder.

3. Are you feeding new hay that has been baled over this summer? It could also be quite rich until he gets used to it.

4. Are you feeding enough hay? If not, stress can cause this if he doesn't have ample hay to chew on; remember horses are grazers and that's what they need to be doing.

5. Don't ever discount great results of no sand/no worms. That can be a false reading because that does not include worms that are migrating in the system or are hatching as we speak . De-worm him and try the 5 day in a row Safe guard. It cannot hurt.

Best wishes.

I have an nine-year-old gelding that always gets diarrhea during the late fall. He gets SandClear, and Pepto...it eases it some, but does not clear it up. He does not lose weight, has bright eyes, and energy. He eats well, and drinks water. I make sure I keep him clean with warm water, as his back legs and tail tend to get a little messy. So we just sit it out and watch him. It clears up on it's own given time.

I bought a mare from a very secluded farm. They had problems with her just moving her from her stall to an outside run. She told me I would have problems with change and this mare. However, my place has a road on the back of it where people walk, drive dirt bikes and car and trucks. She got real used to all of the hustle and bustle and has no problems with diarrhea any more.

Thanks for your replies. My Vet was out today,took blood for a bunch of different tests and checked poop for sand...no sand. Maybe the blood will tell something. If not we will start him on steriods and treat it as irratible bowel.

I have a mare with a sensitive stomach. She will get it when she has too much pasture grass, or too much grain, or too much good quality hay. I balance her out with a good quality straw, and cut down on the amount of food. So maybe she gets 2 handfulls of straw to 1 handful of the good hay. She gets her suppliment only 1 time per day , and its not a lot.As long as I stick to this program she stays fit and healthy.So when she gets Diaharia , I up the straw , and give less of the rich food.She had a weight problem last summer , and we have been trying very hard to get her weight down, thats why I feed so little. In the UK you can have your pony taken away by the RSPCA and fined heavily if its grossly overweight, and this law is comming to Switzerland too , (through the grapevine)

If you use Pepto make sure it is the MAXIMUM STRENGTH, thats the only thing that worked for me. Took my mare 3 days to clear up.

Back