How and where can I get info on getting my granddaughter into mini horse showing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimbell

Reaction score
Hi,

My grand daughter has shown some interest in showing the mini's. She likes the idea of dressing them up, I don't know what it's called and she also wants to do the tricks with them, maybe it the obstacle course.

I just need to know where I can find the info out and is there any training books for children in these subjects. I would like to know the rules, at what age should we start? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kim
default_biggrin.png

For rules, the best place to look is in the rule book of the registry you are planning to show in. As for knowing what they do in the various classes, it is really a good idea to go and watch a show or two. You could maybe take your granddaughter and let her show a calm gelding in youth class or color so she can get the feel of being in the ring and possibly getting a ribbon. I don't know how old she is, but costume can be for just about any age, but obstacle or jumping is kinda hard for the younger kids. The 13 yr old girl that shows with us has much better luck with jumping and obstacle than her 8yr old brother. Even the gentlest gelding gives him trouble in performance.

Good luck and have fun.

Angie

Just noticed the little girl in your avitar. Is that the girl you are talking about? If so, performance will be very difficult for her. You can go into costume or halter classes with her if need be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Another idea for you would be to find the closest miniature horse club to you. Perhaps you can check the registry web site for one? Contact one or more of the members and ask for help. Most will be more than glad to help you.

Good luck!

Beth

I can't see your avatar so I don't know the age or size of the little girl, but what about leadline if you have a mini agreeable to doing it? The child rides the mini for the class and the grown up walks along with them. I've seen some really cute matching outfits for the child and adult, usually a western cowboy/cowgirl theme. Carol S. from Michigan sews and has made fantastic costumes and leadline outfits. She made an adorable pink cowgirl outfit covered with rhinestones for her granddaughter. She might be one to e-mail for ideas on fun costumes or might be willing to sell one or two she has made, I can't remember her forum name though. Maybe someone else knows it?

Costume class is another fun and creative option for kids that like to dress up too and you come up with a theme or costume for you and your mini and just lead them around in a circle.

Obstacle, depending on the age of the youth can be a challenge because of having to remember the correct order of the obstacle course. We have a couple of horses that are good in obstacle but my kids don't have the patience for it but they do just about every other youth class.

On the AMHR website they have the complete rulebook posted and you can look up all the youth class options, requirements and judging criteria.

Good Luck, let us know how things go!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back