Household Tips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss Mare

Reaction score
Please share your household tips!

I am sure I will think of more as I am a clean freak and always cleaning or organizing.. and look forward to all your tips and hints!

-Cover your box spring with a fitted sheet.

My adorable, yet so "bad" puppy used to think it was fun to go under the bed and come out with mouthfuls of box spring lining. I fixed that problem with a fitted sheet on the underside of the box spring. This also eliminated my need for a dust ruffle / bed skirt. I chose a matching color and it still looks finished because the box spring isn't exposed. Not to mention protects my box spring.

-Glass cleaner for hard floors.

I've tried so many different types of wood and laminate floor cleaners and wasn't happy. I prefer glass cleaner (I like the foaming kind).

Please share!!

Here is a great one for those of us that spend more time in the barn then in the house. To clean and shine your hard wood floors all at one time: Mix one gallon of warm water with one cup of lemon juice, and one cup of olive oil. After sweeping or vacuuming up the dog hair and horse junk it works great. Never put in carpeting, I have it in my bedroom, and right now it is full of pieces of hay and dog hair, but I use a shop vac to clean it.

Now for a funny story, yesterday I vacuumed out my central AC, My son-in-law replace all the duct work and it was supposed to be ready for this heat! So I go buy a new filter and vacuum out the unit only to suck up a mouse, yes thats right a mouse had his house in my ac unit. Needless to say it doesn't work, thank goodness for my window units.

Hard water stains

Glass shower doors- I have tried everything. Use oo steel wool very lightly wet. Works wonders! Takes off hard water stains and does not scratch glass.

Toilet bowl- usually I have to use a pumice stone because most product do not work for me. We now use Lime Away Gel. Has to be the Gel so it can stick to and coat the sides of the toilet bowl. Let sit awhile, rinse. Should come clean. If it does have some residual hard water stain it will be a lot easier to clean.
default_yes.gif

Toilet bowl- usually I have to use a pumice stone because most product do not work for me. We now use Lime Away Gel. Has to be the Gel so it can stick to and coat the sides of the toilet bowl. Let sit awhile, rinse. Should come clean. If it does have some residual hard water stain it will be a lot easier to clean.
default_yes.gif
"The Works" brand toilet bowl cleaner is just about the best I've found.

We saw this on FaceBook and just started trying it....so far so good!

On wood furniture with minor scuffs/scratches.....Mix 1/4 cup white vinegar to 3/4 cup canolla (sp) oil in a jar. Dip in a clean rag and rub over the wood.

Latest posts

Back