Hours to Drive 2017

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did it! I drove the team the first time as a TANDEM! :) Absolutely great!!

70 minutes (Massai and Teddy)
Did you get pictures? I've always wanted to try this hitch formation. How fun!

Does this time go on Sept or Oct?

Last edited by a moderator:
oh sorry, this was today, so it counts for October
default_smile.png

I have a very short clip filmed from the cart while driving through the forest :D

Massai is very cool and easygoing at the front position. He wasn't trying to turn around, not a single time! Even when we stopped. I had a couple of breakdowns because the reins bogged in the harness, so I had to stop and descend the cart. The team was standing like rocks und not try go ahead until I was back on the cart and give the command to go on. They're the best!

Mostly, we trotted and sometimes I let Massai do a slow canter. I kept Teddy in always trot because he's too fast when he's galloping, so that was too dangerous for the first time to let canter both. Maybe next time...

Thanks for posting the video Northwolf, it looks like you had a great drive! I wish mine were at the point I could take them out in the country side.

Could I have 30 minutes of ground driving for Peanut today? I was going to hitch him but my husband set my cart in poison ivy ?

After whining about the cold weather I went out for a drive anyway. 55 minutes and almost 4 miles with Clementine!

Which was the leader? Very tricky! Do you think it worked better because your horses are used to working together as a team?

I didn't see the video before I posted. What good boys! There used to be someone on the Forum who drove tandem. When I was trying it out at one time he gave me great tips and advice, but my two horses were not suitable.

50 min and 4.08 miles with Clementine on a beautiful autumn day. Finally a break in the weather.

You must have been moving right along! 50 minutes is our 2 mile route.
I tracked us with my Endomondo app
default_smile.png
Our average speed was 4.81mph. We trotted the first two miles then walked and trotted the last two. Clem is a mover that's for sure! She keeps up with my father's fox trotter no problem.

@Marsha: Oh yes, they are just great! I think it's a big benefit that they're working as a team, but the key to a good tandem is the front horse. It must be very compliant and controllable with minimal rein assistance and with the voice. Because my whip is not long enough
default_smile.png
And it's difficult to keep a tandem straight in a row - the hardest was when we walked, but trot was easy to handle
default_smile.png

@MajorClem: wow, what nice pace that you have with Clementine, thumbs up!
default_thumbup.gif

I just forgot Moonys hours; I was very busy with him! I have the plan to hitch him to the cart the first time next week

10/1: 60 minutes of ground driving (in the countryside and the first time with a weight that he had to pull!)

10/2: 45 minutes ground driving

10/5: 15 minutes ground driving

On 10/2, I drove 70 minutes with Teddy on the cart.

Today, I hitched the team Massai/Teddy for an 80 minutes drive, weather was perfect.

Latest posts

Back