Houdini & Pistol Learned a new trick!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph G

Reaction score
For some reason I suddenly got the urge to try and teach my guys to bow. I first started this past Sunday, and in a week both of my geldings pretty much have it.

Dini doesn't even need me to hold up his leg anymore. I only have to point or tap his leg to get him to start going down.

Pistol isn't quite as far along. I still have to pick his foot up and hold it for him.

I hope to one day get them to the point where I only have to point and give a voice command. Anyway here is the link to the video I took today of the boys showing off:

Very cute- they sure learn fast.. Thanks for sharing..

Missy
default_smile.png

They're so cute.
default_wub.png
Good job with training them, they learned that fast!

I'm working on training one of my girls to bow right now, the other one has finally gotten to the point where I can point and say 'bow' and she does it!
default_smile.png

That is really cute! I was thinking this weekend about training my little colt Sparky to do some neat stuff like that. Now I kind of have an idea how to start training him to bow!

Thanks everybody!

I started out by tapping their foot that I wanted up and then picking it up. I also had the halter on and put the lead rope between their front legs and over their backs. I would hold their foot and pull on the leadrope to get them to come down originally. Then once they were down I let go of their foot and gave them their treat(alfalfa).

I made sure to face the front when asking so that they wouldn't start bowing when the farrier came!!!

These two guys are really smart. A little too smart at times...Houdini got his name for a reason!

Marty, I had to laugh when you said that I was cute. Only because you probably thought that I was a kid or teenager, but actually I'm 23 and teach 2nd grade!!!

Cute! Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back