Hot weather - Mares heat cycle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdbj

Reaction score
Does all this hot weather we are having, play a part in our mares heat cycle? I have 3 mares in with a young stallion, his first year with the ladies, I am positive he covered 2 of the 3, but have not seen any of them come back into heat. Hoping this is two thumbs up for my young stallion, but with it being so hot...

Thanks everyone for your input!

Supposedly it's not the weather but sunlight that affects heat cycles. But with the crazy weather this year and all of our mares' crazy heat cycles......I'm beginning to wonder!

I bet, though, that your stallion has done his job. Just mark you calendar and keep watching.
thumbup.gif

MA

Well "I" know it's the light that cycles the mares but none of mine have come into heat yet!
new_shocked.gif
I really think it "is" the heat.

Heck "I" wouldn't want some guy all over me when it's so hot either.
rolleyes.gif
Doesn't really matter this year though I guess...sigh..poor Glow is out of commission with stressed ligaments in his hip and a twisted lower back. He was some better but when I did my attempt at breeding a while back he got worse again...SO..we're taking the year off so he can heal well. Sigh...I was so looking forward to palomino babies next year.
no.gif

Two of ours that we want to breed have not come into heat this year. The one I can understand because she has a colt at her side the other I have no idea. The one we don't want to breed. (want to give her a year off) shows every couple of weeks.
biggrin.gif

Then there is our hussy. She shows signs of heat even days before giving birth. She is the only one that has been bred.6 Jun, 1 & 4 July and is now showing again. So we will try again if she is still showing signs after this heat wave goes by.

Dont' want my little man to have a heat stroke doing it.
new_shocked.gif

Deb

Latest posts

Back