Hot Walkers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldStageMinis

Reaction score
Hi all, Just wanted some feedback on hot walkers for minis. Who uses them, good or bad, where do I locate one to buy? Have a few "pudgy" broodmares and the vet yesterday tactfully brought up a hotwalker and its potential good use at our house!
wub.gif

I've always had hot walkers and I love them. If I am working horses they are fabulous to cool your horses down while getting another one ready. They are real time savers. If I was working horses like I used to, I would certainly have one here.

However, I am not one to stick a horse on the hot walker and let him go round and round forever and call that exercise. Maybe for just a few minutes, but not to replace exercises. I only use one for cooling out purposes.

We've built them in the past ourselves by using chain link fence posts welded and you can use a motor easily from a washing machine or lawn mower etc. You just need to fool with the RPM's a bit to get the speeds you want.

Don't know where they are sold off hand though.

They are wonderful!

I used mine for walking, trotting in both directions. Even walking a coliced horse and attaching them to dry after a bath.

I would go on LB sale board and put a "wanted" ad in there. You should be able to locate a used one that way at a much reduced price then the new ones. Also if you, hubby or someone is handy they can build you one. One of the forum members built hers and has plenty of photos to share about it to.

I have her photos as well, but would have to find the disc I put it on.

Beth

I bought a used one this year from a friend that was moving. It's great, but I agree with Marty, I don't use mine for exercising. Mine only goes in one direction, so I don't think it would be good for them to spend extended amounts of time on there. I do use it for letting horses dry after bathing, and to let them stretch their legs while I clean their stall. My B gelding, Fire, he figured out really quickly that he can make it stop by stopping, (too smart for his own good!) so if he is on there I have to watch him every second, lol!

What would probably be cheaper for you, and more effective for exercising, is building a roundpen,a nd work your horses in that. JMO

Yes i love mine too. Mine was a full size horse hot walker that we cut down the pipe lengths on. It has 5 speeds but of course i only use a couple with the Miniatures. It is great excercise for them and good for cooling down too. I put my brood mares on after babies are weaned to get some muscle tone back in them.

Hey thanks everyone for your help. I'd LOVE the building plans as I do have someone who could build for me. Good advise regarding the uses too--I do have a round pen, but get dizzy chasing them around?!

I love mine and bought mine used from my friend.
aktion033.gif

Its a full size but I also use it for my full size horses. Works great for my minis too!

Joyce

Anyone know the forum member with the pictures of the one they built? That would be perfect--Thanks everyone.

I use a hot walker also. I also use roundpen and treadmill. On hot days my horses LOVE to swim ! ! ( not all horses like to swim )

Our hot walker is a big horse size. I use it for my Quarter horses, Paint and my minis. I like my hot walker.

I have one I haven't used in years. Used it for the big horses but it's just never worked for me with minis. We are getting ready to move, the folks buying our house don't even have horses (and they are buying a place with 2 barns, etc etc...go figure) so our walker is for sale. PM me if you are interested, it probably needs a tune up but very serviceable.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back