Horses with pink skin/noses and sun tan lotion...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy's_mom

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have two horses with pink skin on their faces. The one LOVES to be in the sun and many times I find her laying flat on her side soaking up the rays even when it's really hot out! My horses have 24/7 access to pasture and barn. My question is, is it safe to use sun tan lotion on their faces so that they don't burn and peel? If it is, then what kind would you use and what SPF? Would the stuff that we use on little kids work to protect horses from burning as well? What do you do to protect your horses from getting sun burned?

Thanks for all your help!!

Becky

WELL I USUALLY USE THE STUFF FOR BABIES (45-50 SPF) AS IT I THINK HAS ALOT LESS STUFF THAT CAN IRITATE I WOULD IMAGINE. I ALSO MAKE SURE IT IS WATERPROOF. USUALLY IF YOU GET THE RIGHT STUFF YOU CAN GO A FEW DAYS WITH ONLY APPLYING IT ONCE. MY LITTLE COLT WHEN HE WOULD LAY OUT AND SOAK UP SOME RAYS EVEN GOT A LITTLE SUN BURN ON HIS SHEATH WHERE IT WAS PINK BECAUSE HE LAYS FLAT OUT ALOT. POOR BABIES WITH THE PINK SKIN, I HAVE SEEN SO MANY THAT PEOPLE DONT PUT ANYTHING ON THEM AND IT IS SO SAD. IT LOOKS SO PAINFULL. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS USING IT, I FIGURE IF IT IS SAFE ENOUGH TO PUT ON MY 2YR OLD IT MUST BE SAFE FOR MY MINIS.
default_yes.gif
:

We also keep the human baby sunscreen available for our pink-skinned babies........ It means having to apply it more than once a day, though.

MA

I use Baby Faces #50. I like that it goes on smooth and is fragrance free.

Liz R.

No baby stuff here. I don't think it's hardly enough.

I use the adult stuff, the highest SPF I can possibly find. Zinc oxide also works very well.

Sunburn for horses can cause inflammation, tissue damage, and cause their hair to bleach. I would not let the horses lay out there like that and sunbathe in dangerously hot/humid conditions so be careful with that. They can heat stroke and you would not know the difference from afar, until you were right up on them and realized that is what has happened. Just watch your temperatures and use wise discretion. MIne don't have enough sense to get out of the sun so I have to go round them up daily and bring them to the barn to cool off.

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Hi,

I have applied suntan lotion, but the problems I get is that they get plugged up tear ducks from the dirt which sticks after you apply the lotion. I have had to take mine to the vet many times to have their eyes irrigated...
default_crybaby.gif
:

What are your solutions for this problem? I have two with blue eyes and they get sunburned, but what can I do other than a masks.
default_wacko.png
: I would love to have the masks not only for the sun, but with covered ears as the nats are just as bad as the sun, but I can't FIND ANY!!! :no: Anyone know of any around for sale?

Oh yeah I would like to THANK the member on here which gave the formula for a homemade fly spray(vinegar/blue dawn)...I don't remember who it was, but THANKS BUNCHES! That stuff really, really works...
default_yes.gif
:

Jenny

I do Baby Faces (J&J 50 SPF) but I always wash the nose off first and apply daily. I never get close to the eyes with it. Works for us.

I have a couple horses w/ pink noses now and some double dilute horses coming this fall (and have owned others in the past). I've never actually had a problem w/ the squinting or burning, but our property has a tremendous amount of shade. The paddock my "pinkies" will be in is probably 80% shade at all times.

I've used Bullfrog on the little noses, and Schnieders sstack.com has a really nice lycra fly mask with ears has a really fine net and a zipper under the chin.

Karen

Thanks a bunch everyone! I wasn't sure what to use. My little one goes out off and on and soaks up the rays but doesn't stay out for very long. Her nose started to get really pink and I figured she got a little burned. I'll have to start using the lotion I guess to keep her nice and light pink!

Becky

I've used Bullfrog on the little noses, and Schnieders sstack.com has a really nice lycra fly mask with ears has a really fine net and a zipper under the chin.

Karen
[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Karen hi,

I went to their site and it looks good, although it looks like it could snag and also I need ones with UV ratings for sun protection, and it doesn't have that, but Thanks!
default_yes.gif
:

Does anyone else use fly masks with ears and UV ratings for ponies and minis???

Thanks,

Jenny

We use Bullfrog on our pinkies. We also use it on the show horses when we razor them.

Latest posts

Back