Horses & Smoke - Any Suggestions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hosscrazy

Reaction score
The smoke has gotten pretty thick here from the fires - it's 1:00pm and looks like dusk already!

I just put fly masks on my horses to protect them the falling ash - any suggestions on what else I can for them? I've got a sore throat and burning eyes, and I was only outside for 1/2 hour!

Thank you in advance -

Liz

Not sure what your situation is with a barn and how your horses have access to it -- but perhaps running fans in the barn???? (Just to keep air moving!)

Another thought is to have plenty of Eye Saline available and douse your horses' eyes every evening or even twice a day, if you can.

Dampening the fly masks are a good idea that Susanne mentioned. It would be similar to what firefighters recommend for people who have to deal with smoke.

The fans and saline were what we used for our horses a number of years ago when we had a forest fire just south of our town.......

Good luck, Kiddo. Please let us know how things are going!

MA

I certainly hope things change for the better down there, soon....

Do you have a shed you can put them in, that maybe you could hang some damp cloth over the doors/windows to help filter out the worst of the smoke...?

I just don't know if that would work or not, but maybe in conjunction w/the fans it might help.

Liz M.

I saw it on the news today! I cannot believe you are in this mess. They showed a lot of horses loose and of all things a stallion trying to breed a mare in the middle of the whole thing! It was horrid.

Liz we had bad fires up here a few years back and WE couldn't hardly breathe for a week. If I had it to do over I would have left with the horses because it still takes a lot of time for the air to be breathable again after the fires are out.

Fly masks are a great idea but if there is a way to get out of there please do so now. Godspeed.

Hosscrazy said:
Excellnet ideas, guys- I can get the fans going for now and yes, I do have saline; wetting down the fly masks is a great idea, too - thank you!!!
http://kcbs.dayport.com/viewer/content/spe..._ID=9&Obj_ID=20

476500[/snapback]

Wow! That is some incredible video footage of the fire.
ohmy.gif
I sure hope the firefighters can get a handle on it soon for everyone's sake. Good luck to you.

Just close ARE you??? (As the crow flies).

The closest we've had for a fire like that is about 5 miles.....

Are you in any danger or need of possibley evacuating?

MA

your pretty far away arent you about 20+ if not more miles? But yes the smoke gets AWFUL we lived i the middle of the fire zone for years and had to evacuate many times.. the fires always seem to take pretty much the same path...

I taught all of my horses to lead blindfolded and have as stupid as it sounds tied scarfs on there halters to kinda cover there nostrils make sure if you have breathing issues you wear a mask as well i always kept some in my truck

the fans will help blow them OUT of the stalls and the fly masks are about all you can do that and hope it gets put out soon. I have several friends that evacuated all there horses and are now since it passed holding others horses there for them

Thanks for the advice everyone! The fire was about 5 miles away from me last night (this was the Burbank fire, not the Chatsworth fire), and has shifted direction. Last I heard (this morning) it was over 1000 acres and was headed the opposite direction (towards La Crescenta). The air is MUCH, MUCH better this morning!! Phew!!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Oh....thank God!

As a Southern California native, those Santa Ana winds in the fall are really something. When I worked for a fire department in L.A. County, we were stationed at the ridge of a dry, grassy hill. Talk about terrifying....the sound was like a train rolling through your backyard.

Prayers go out to your family and horses! Be safe!

Cindy

Latest posts

Back