Horses attacked by pit bulls (update on page 9)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, a lot of improvement so far! Looks like he is doing great. I recommend an electric wire across the top of your fence as chain link is really easy to climb for a dog. They can get over 6' in one second. I would think about running a hot wire across the bottom too in case it feels like digging in. Yep, knowing that dog still next door already bit the other neighbors dog- wont that neighbor file a complaint? They may not do anything about it, but the complaint will already be ON FILE to show this is a problem dog for when this problem occurs again. I have a horrible feeling that in time, it will- whether with you or someone else's animals.

Cowboy is looking so much better. Everyone involved has done a great job with him!

I also wouldn't trust a chain link fence as is. I would put those privacy slats in it so that any dog couldn't get their feet in the squares for leverage. I think I would personally feel better/safer with a wooden fence that has no spaces between the boards.

I own a young pitbull (not intentionally - Husband thought he was another breed and I couldn't 'pay' someone to take him, so we got stuck with him. Praying he'll be a good dog!). I also grew up in a neighborhood littered with them. Depending on their build, most don't jump too well and wouldn't be able to clear a 5-foot fence. They do however dig extremely well if they want something on the other side. A cement border might be something to think about as well. I wouldn't trust the remaining dog what so ever. While our pit is being raised as an indoor/outdoor dog who is constantly around our chi, cats and horses, our border collie has killed rabbits and other small critters, and we cant ever trust him fully. Our dog fence is 6 feet tall and luckily we have extremely hard dirt.

How horrific !!! I am so sorry. It makes me so MAD and sick to my stomach.... I hope your stallion heals up ok, poor lil guy.

My god! I am so peeved! The chained up dog is probably even worse!
default_frusty.gif
I hope things get better!

Pit bulls are restricted in Ontario Canada. You are no longer able to breed them. You can own one, but must have a muzzle on at all times. Because you can't breed them any more in the future they will be gone.

Good evening forum family,

My husband and father-in-law (Pop) finished with the shelter. It is secure. My husband and our close friend have attached chainlink fencing to the old wooden fence that we share with the neighbor. My husband dug down so he could run barbed wire along the bottom of the chainlink fence so if a dog or the dog tried to dig, they would get torn up in the process. He will also secure barbed wire on the outside of my horse pen at the bottom and top as well.

We are bringing Cowboy home tomorrow, the vet will be up at the clinic at 5 pm to do his rounds and feed. I will be so happy to get him home. My younger son Jacob ( who just came off a 7 month deployment ) and his wife are in route from WA to TX to visit with us for a week, they will be staying at my house. I'm sure they would love to keep an eye on Cowboy while I'm at work.

Thanks for all the kind words and and advice. As soon as we get the final vet bill for Cowboy we will set up a meeting with the neighbors and have Pop as the witness. Please keep us in your prayers to say the right thing that the neighbor's cooperate and do as they said they would.

Took pics today, First one was Feb 27th the left side of Cowboy's face, the second one was from tonight. Looking good.

Cowboy face FEb 27.jpg

Cowboy face Mar 3.jpg

Oh, poor baby. He does look in better spirits, and much less swelling tonight. I'm sure he'll be glad to come home.

he is looking better but each time I see him I think of the horror he must have endured , dont let them wriggle out of paying ..its the very least they could do

I always have to steel myself to keep coming back to read this thread. Because I cry and cry! (right now I am too) It's hard to post through the tears. That poor boy. Bless him!

{{{{Hugs}}}} to all of you!

Pit bulls are restricted in Ontario Canada. You are no longer able to breed them. You can own one, but must have a muzzle on at all times. Because you can't breed them any more in the future they will be gone.
Yes, that's what we in the UK thought but I can promise you it does not work that way. God knows how many years on we actually have more of a problem now than we had at the beginning......

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening forum family,

We got him home. He ran around his pen smelling the ground then calling out for his buddy. We decided to keep him in his shelter when we are not home, and let him loose in the pen when we are home and can hear and see him. I'm not sure if it's for my peace of mind or Cowboy's but that will be our routine for a while.
default_xkngt.gif

We should get the final vet bill in a few days. I'm thinking it might run $2,500, but we will see. We decided to go ahead and have his coggins pulled while we were there, it is due in April. And they gave him a rabies vacination.

I will try to take some pictures of him tomorrow. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.

just read through the entire thread and am so sorry that this happened to your beautiful babies, but so glad that Cowboy is now home.

It sounds like your new routine is ust what you and Cowboy need for peace of mind right now.

Wishing you all the best as your boy continues to heal .

just food for thought! I wouldnt trust ant fence that a dog can get toe nails into! I have a boston terrier and she can climb anything she can get her nails into!And being a pit bull is aggressive and wants meet im sure he can too!

Joy! I'm so thankful he's home now. No doubt he is also glad. It sounds like coming home was great for him and he showed no signs of fear or concern of being back in his pasture. Animals are so resilient, aren't they? It just amazes me.

And I agree, your routine sounds like it is just what you need, so go with what works for you!

Again, SO, SO glad he's home!

The photos make me cry... so glad your boy is doing better and so sad you lost your mare. What an ordeal.

Reminds me of a story about a friend of mine who had a pit bull that was well bred, family raised and obedience trained. She went to visit another friend of mine who had full sized horses and a foal. They think that the foal sniffed the dog and in an instant the dog jumped up and latched onto the foals nose and wouldn't let go. The foal was horribly mangled and died from the attack. The dog also turned on the mare and started tearing her up and when the owner of the horses tried to get the mare away from the dog, the dog turned on her and tore her arms up badly. She was 8 weeks out of work with her injuries...Her husband ended up shooting the dog to stop the attack and then afterward he suffered a heart attack from the stress. The foal was dead and the mare had to be put down because the mauling was so bad. The power this breed has when they are set off is frightening.

This is not a breed I could trust or ever own. Too much power, too much drive and even wounded, they don't stop.

About a year after this incident, another friend of mine got a call at work by a state trooper that her son had been badly mauled by his friends pit bull. If he had not been wearing strongly woven jeans, he might have lost his leg. This dog was also, family raised, good breeding and well behaved and trained and had also known my friends son since he was a pup. Not a dog you would expect would attack. I shared these stories because it can be breed related. These were nice well raised dogs that turned into nightmare attack dogs. It isn't all about who raises them, and where they come from. Plenty of incidences of nice dogs gone bad too.

I hope your baby continues to recover. He sure is a cutie. Take care and best wishes.

Thank you so much for the frequent updates on Cowboy. The first picture of him brought me to tears; you can see what a gentle soul he is, and I am praying he will continue healing without complications. It sounds like you are being more than fair with your neighbors. Considering the heartache they have caused you I wish that they were being as proactive about securing their dog as you have been about protecting Cowboy. I hope they realize how gracious you are being in trying to handle the issue privately.

Just finished reading this thread and Wow! What a journey. He's an amazing little guy that Cowboy. I'm so sorry he had to endure all that. And I am so sorry for the loss of the mare.

It's too bad for the dog owners as well. If they had just secured all their dogs they wouldn't have had to euthanize them.

You are an amazing person for the way you are handling this situation. I can't say I would have been as kind. Best wishes to you and that amazing horse of yours!

Latest posts

Back