Horses attacked by pit bulls (update on page 9)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trish

Reaction score
Why is it we don't follow our 6th sense when it comes to pit bulls?? My husband and I were out of town last weekend helping my son move my daughter-in-law and new grandson back to San Angelo. My father-in-law was tending to our 2 miniatures, 2 dogs and cat while we were away. We had new neighbors move in next door about 2 weeks prior and they had 3 pit bulls. I over heard the neighbor on the other side talk to the new neighbor that the one pit bit her little dogs thru the chain link fence. Well that dog got chained up. I just had a feeling in the back of my mind that something was going to happen. We left for MO on Thur night, all was well, horses fed, pen cleaned, dogs and cat fed. Fri am, pm and Sat am all was well, Pop tended to all the animals. Come Sat evening, Pop fed the horses, dogs, cat as usual at 5pm, then he and Mom went to a game. After they left the neighbor's 2 pits that were not chained up got thru the picket fence and jumped on a trashcan (sitting at the corner outside the horse pen) and into the horse pen and started the attack. From what my Pop was told the owners of the dogs were just coming home and discovered the dogs were out. They ended up looking in our back lot and found the dogs attacking the horses. The owner said he jumped into the pen and pulled his dogs off. He and his wife took them to the local pound and put them down. They did not tell the pound to go check on the horses or anything. My mare died and the stallion was covered in blood from head to toe. My father-in-law discovered them Sunday at 6:30am. He was very upset to say the least. He called my husband and told him that Pearl was dead and Cowboy was messed up real bad. He called Animal Control to come out to investigate the situation and after my husband told me, I called the vet to go out to help. The Agent and the vet assessed the situation, make a report, Pop got my stallion to the vet's office for treatment. He was bit up bad on the back of his legs, his testicles, his face on both sides and his muzzle. They had to bath him to find out were the bites were, they shaved the areas and started treatment. Meanwhile, the Animal control agent was told by my Pop that the neighbor's had 3 pit bulls and they were gone. The agent approached the neighbor and he admitted that his dogs attacked the horses. He told him in front of my Pop that he would cover all medical bills and replacement. He also told them that he wouldn't have any more dogs. But he lied. When we got home after driving for 2 days (7 1/2 hrs each day) we looked thru the fence and they still have the pit that is chained up. Cowboy is doing better each day. The swelling has gone down on his muzzle, but the bites on the sides of his face, they have to soak off the scabs and use a betidine(sp) wash, then put an antibiotic gel into the wounds. Have to help it heal from the inside out. They are also doing hydro treatment 2 times a day for the swelling in the testicle area. I go visit him every morning before work and every evening after work. The vet said they still may have to geld him due to the damage to the testicles. But he is eating good, drinking, pooping and peeing. But we are not out of the woods yet. Please keep Cowboy in you prayers.

Now I have to come up with a value for Pearl. I need help in determining what her value would be for replacement.

History: Minnie Pearl was born 2/24/2001, she is a great, great granddaughter to Rowdy. She started showing at the age of 4 months and with a nice show record. She has lots of All Star Points and a few Hall of Fame Points. I showed her in 2004 at Nationals and we placed 10th in Showmanship. She has been shown in Texas with the Gulf Coast Miniature Horse Club, and in Missouri with the Show Me Little Equine Club. She was shown by me and also my boys and a young lady in our 4H club in Missouri. We were going to start using her in the local Tom Green County 4H to teach the kids how to do horse judging. She would have been 11 today.

I am asking my fellow miniature horse owners to help me figure this out. I will not be purchasing a replacement because she was irreplaceable. Sorry it's so long. Thank you, Trish

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the loss of your mare and I hope that your stallion will make a full recovery.

So sorry for your loss of Pearl. And, speedy recovery wishes/prayers sent for Cowboy.

Was Pearl homeraised or purchased? If purchased, you have a place to start on her value, and then go up from there for all her accomplishments. I just don't know as to value, as it varies so much around the country, and I have no idea what minis are valued at in TX.

default_new_shocked.gif
OMG! I am sooooo very sorry this has happened to your horses. I sure hope your stallion recovers fully, and hopefully without having to be gelded.

OMG I'm SO very sorry!!!!!
default_crybaby.gif

I just can't imagine the horror and pain.

The had BETTER pay all the vet bills!!!! Why in the world didn't they tell anyone so your poor stallion could have gotten treated sooner?

I would put a value of $4000 on your mare.

I'm so sorry {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

In addition to the value of the breeding mare, you need to think about what your stallions value is now that he will no longer be a stallion. You are loosing a lot of potential offspring.

Additionally, you need to make sure animal control knows that the remaining pit bull attacked a neighbors dog already. That incident, if reported, would have required a rabies test and that dog would have been removed for 30 days. You still have a known attack dog next door and while it is great that two are gone, the remaining one remains a threat.

There will never be a replacement for your mare or for the trauma caused to your stallion. However, people with viscous dogs need to understand that their dogs actions are THEIR responsibility.

I am so sorry , what an awful thing to happen , was the still alive when they caught the dogs or did they leave her to suffer , :-( money cannot replace her and undo the damage but I really hope they do compensate you for your monetary loss although I doubt they will pay up that easily , I dont think they have a clue that it will be a large amount so try to get it in writing before they realise how much its going to cost

I'm so sorry for your loss.

That is just unbelievable that they would go in & pull off their dogs & then walk away without calling for help for the horses. Honest to goodness, you'd think they would have enough compassion to have done that--they knew their dogs did the damage, they should have taken the initative to call a vet & ask him to come out at their expense.

The best way to determine replacement value is to look around at similar mares--similar size, breeding, show records--and see what prices are being asked for them. Or you might use her purchase price, assuming that you bought her.

As said, ask for compensation for the loss of breeding potential if your stallion has to be gelded because of his injuries.

I'm so, SO sorry for you and also the tremendous fear and pain your horses must have gone through. I'm so sad that Pearl didn't make it. What a tragic situation. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would even want an animal that is that dangerous. It's obviously not for protection as it sounds like there is an able bodied man living in the home. Just so sad all around.

I agree with Robin, $4k. You've lost a good mare, any future foals, years of enjoyment and plus your trauma over the situation.

If you want, maybe PM Dixi (KHA here on the forum) and talk to her. She had a very tragic situation like yours several years back when a wild ram, yes, WILD ram, got loose from a neighbor and attacked her minis. I no longer remember the details, but she lost several and almost all were injured. There were legal proceedings and she had to value her horses also (as well as the 4 or 5 aborted fetuses that happened also) and I believe she got some type of award and/or judgement. She can probably offer you some advice based on how she did it.

Sending prayers to you and also your stallion.

I am so sorry for your loss. I have had a mini attacked by a pitbull, this is just a horrible thing to have to go through, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your stallion. I would price her value high due to all that is involved in the situation.

That is one of the worst things I have heard lately!! I am so sorry this has happened to you and your horses. I hope your stallion recovers well, it certainly sounds like he is on the mend. Though nothing will replace the value of your mare, I certainly hope you get some kind of compensation out of this.

This is so horrible! I am so sorry for you!

If your neighbors own the home they will have homeowners insurance and you should contact them. You may need to get a lawyer if this does not go smoothly. The insurance company will offer you a settlement and this may be resolved fairly quickly. I know it will not bring back your precious mare or take the pain from your stallion. It won't help with the saddness, but it will be your best chance of recovering some of the monetary loss you have suffered.

I agree with the statement that Shelia made about contacting the owner of the resident and get their insurance involved. I feel for you and no type of monetary value will ever mend your emotional scars that you will have for life.

Last edited by a moderator:
My heart aches for you. Words are inadequate. I agree with the advise last few posters are giving you. What a sorrowful ordeal.

Thinking about the terror your animals endured is heart wrenching. You have our deepest sympathy.

Placing a value on your losses would be difficult I am sure. The pain and suffering for the surviving horse is also a consideration.

Just tragic.

What a horrific, tragic story. My heart goes put to you. I hope your boy heals well. Please think about getting a buddy for him though. Horses are such social animals. Hugs.

I am SO very sorry for the pain and terror your poor animals suffered and for the pain you are experiencing. Your story just makes me sick.

As to the value of your little mare here are my thoughts:

1. with a show record like that the mare would be valued at $5,000 to $9,000.

2. At 11 years old she had the potential to produce 8 or more foals (and certainly continue to win in the show ring if shown)

3. the value of her foals (with a reasonable marketing program) should range between $1,500 and $5,000 each (total of $12,000 to $40,000)

You would use the same formulas to place a value on your stallion should he not survive or have to be gelded. And stallions 'can' have MANY foals per year so you can see that the value of your horses is far beyond your purchase price.

None of these numbers take into account the trauma to your family over this horrible loss.

My thoughts and prayers are with your little Cowboy and your family.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. I appreciate all the kind words. We will consider all the suggestions.

The Animal Control Agent visited with the neighbor and they had 10 days to show proof that the dog was current on his shots, and 15 days to get him off the chain and in a kennel that he would not be able to get out of. We looked and he is in a kennel. We still need to see if the other neighbor is willing to call in a complaint about that one biting her dogs thru the fence.

We are getting a little jenny to run with Cowboy. Not sure when he will come home. We are doing some modifications on his stall and pen to make sure no dogs can get to him again.

If someone could help me post picture of Cowboy, I can't remember how to on the forum.

Thanks, Trish

Trish I am so sorry to hear about this.

Last Sunday I was supposed to be going to a playday with one of my minis, it ended up being cancelled thank God! My dogs were going nuts and I thought one of the horses may have gotten loose, I ran down and found a dog hanging from one of my mares. Long story short, 3 out of 5 horses were at least bitten a couple times the others I think just run real hard and panicked. One mare was chewed up pretty good and in shock. I called sheriff dept and they showed up as I was leaving for the vets. While at vets they let me know that they had the dog and owner had already signed it over for euthanizing. I think my mare will be ok but she is very panicky about everything now as am I. I am glad I happened to be here so was able to stop it...but I cannot get the image out of my head and am now often finding myself shaking and crying for no reason. This really scared me. I truely do believe that often times irresponsible people pick breeds that they have no business owning. I am so sorry once again and I hope your boy will be ok.

Latest posts

Back