Horsemanship, Showmanship, Halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The descriptions/ requirements for classes will slightly vary from one show to another, especially at open shows. At breed shows, the class requirements should remain the same throughout the series and the prize list should describe the requirements for each class. Halter in itself is judged on the horse, the horse that best fits the breed standard (size, build, conformation etc.), showmanship is judged on you and your ability to show off/present your horse and put yourself together. It is usually judged on a percentage scale where the majority of the score is based on grooming and turnout, then tack/clothing fit and a small % on the horse/conformation. The class is often called "fitting and showmanship" and your outfit and presentation counts as a large part of the score. To my knowledge, horsemanship is an under saddle class in big horse world and a driving class in mini/pony world. If I remember correctly, it is judged on your ability to handle your horse and present him/her at their best. I believe I have seen classes with obstacles (other than jumps) labeled as horsemanship in hand at open shows in this area in the past. Any show you plan to attend should have a rulebook or prize list that describes the classes for you so you know what is expected. Many smaller shows combine halter and showmanship or fitting and showmanship and the prize list will tell you what the scoring % is example (50% grooming/fit, 40% ability to navigate pattern and 10% conformation). Some shows may call a class "halter-obstacle" others may call it "trail" or even "agility" or "in-hand sport horse"(I have seen it called many things). Halter usually just requires the horse to be led into the arena and set up for inspection, then trotted infront of the judge then walked back into line. Showmanship often requires a pattern be followed at the walk and trot them the horse squared up for inspection, often the judge will ask horse related questions to quiz the handler. "Model" just requires the horse to stand square for inspection. I have heard horsemanship classes referred to as "command" classes at hunter shows as well.

Latest posts

Back