Horse Slaughter!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreAcres

Reaction score
This is related to every size horse, so Mary Lou can this please stay here for awhile.

I am doing a project for school. I need to find out everything I can about Equine Slaughter in the US. This can involve domestic horses, as well as Mustangs.

Also what are you individual views on the subject? Are you for it or against it? Should it be allowed in certain places where there is an abundance of horses, or not at all? What should we, as horse lovers, do with these "unwanted" or "unuseable" equine?

Thanks so very much, Erin
yes.gif

Erin, check out the anti slaughter groups on yahoogroups also sending you an email addy from a great guy, bet he can help you tons

Also if you want good solid numbers go to the USDA website and in their data archives they list things like total population of horses in the US total number of horses sold for slaughter etc.........the numbers are really much smaller than many sources would lead you to believe.

Thanks so much for the info guys!
aktion033.gif

I would still like to hear you opinions about horse slaughter. Do you think its something that is sort of a "must" or would you propose something else be done with these "extra" horses?

Erin

There are numbers of people in the world who have horse meat as a staple of their diet. In North America where large numbers of people keep horses for pets and pleasure find this to be offensive. We are not the only culture in the world, We do not consume dogs, others do, we generally do not consume horse meat, others do, We do not consume or follow the teachings of most of the worlds cultures. Hindus regard the cow with reverence, we do not. Muslims and Jews will not touch pork, we do. Muslims will not keep dogs we do. It is not our place to say we are right and all others wrong, just the same as they should not find fault with our culture and followings.

We should all try to be responsible with our horses, as far as breeding and rehoming them. We should help to educate others about those same things. These 2 things can help reduce the # of horses sent to slaughter. However, I would not condemn the person who wants to sit down to a horse steak for dinner. It is just a cultural thing, like geese said. Would I want to eat horse? No, but I won't say you shouldn't. You can do a search on thehorse.com for slaughter and read some information on there.

Edited to add - Here's a link that might be helpful: Unwanted Horse Summit Report

Last edited by a moderator:
I think horse slaughter is wrong no matter what...the way the horses are transported and taken care of before they go to the actual slaughter is awful and even the way they slaughter the horses is awful...I think that if people are going to own horses then even after they go past there usefulness that these people should care enough about this horse who has helped them through the years to take care of it while it is gettting older...let it just be a pasture buddy or something like that. If you can't do that then find someone who can but no one needs to send there horses to an auction where the horse could end up at a slaughter house or even worst just sell the horse to a meat buyer just to get rid of it. Again thats just my opionon.

Jessica

Latest posts

Back