horse shelter/barn

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibquackers20

Reaction score
here is what I have in mind but can not find anything that looks like it - I will try to explain

What I want to do is make it 8 feet wide/20 feet long and 8 feet depth - kind of the same shape of a mobile home. Then I want to make 2 stalls inside both sharing the same water tub (tub between 2 stalls) and in each stall there will be a back door that is split in half so I can leave the top part open - and in the front of the 2 stalls again each will have the same type of door. this shelter/barn is going to be half in one corral and half in another -reason why front and back door in stalls.

Then I am going to have a hang over on both sides if possible but I do not think it will be since the roof will be at an angle.

With this I can also controll who goes to what corral and each corral can be left open also for them to come and go. What do you think ? or am I missing something out ?

Does anyone have a good photo of one they may have that is close - need it so I can show what I want and my guy can build it for me.

Hope I explained it right - to bad I can not take a photo of it in my head and print it out / lol

Can something be bought that is like this (like a kit)and bought from a place in canada , Manitoba - if so is there a web site ?or something close to what I described and out of wood ,not all metal

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a lean to similiar to what you are talking about - it is 10X22 - has 1 10x10 stall, 1 10x8 stall and a 10x4 tack area - the door to tack area is inside, so you have to go into the one stall to get into it. I don't have any real great pics of it and don't have any of the inside. My digital camera is at camp so can't take any either. Hope this helps alittle.

HPIM0909.jpg

This is the only pic I have of the whole outside. It was about $800 to build (we used smartsiding instead of T 111, it was half the cost)

Oh my word - you took the idea right from my head - that is what I want built - only it will have a back door in each stall as well.The same as your front doors,- can you put 2 minis in each stall. I figured that since my 2 boys get along together and momma and baby together - I only need 2 stalls. But want them to have room to move around in when they are put to bed for the night.Or should I just make 4 stalls - but that might meen 4 doors ?

I would love to see photos of the inside when you get them / thanks now I can show hubby what I want.

Dang - sorry the pic is so big. You said you wanted to build an overhang, right? The only thing about that is that depending on how big you want it to hang out, if you want it to hang out far, this kind of roof would not be the best, I think you would want to go for a peaked roof (more expensive and more work). Size - if 2 are going to share a stall I would want to go allittle bigger, even if it's going to be only a couple feet, although there are people who have smaller stalls and they've never had a problem, maybe post a thread on the stall size and see what others say. You can split the stalls down the middle with cattle or pig panel and a cattle panel gate to make 4 stalls, which would also be removable. (hard to explain do you know what I mean?)....one more note (wish I would of done this), if you have room and the extra money go BIGGER, maybe 20X20, you never know when you might need more room
wink.gif

If your pocketbook allows it, also stall mats! A feed area is really nice...just a small space, maybe 3x10 - put a couple bails of hay, feed, brushes, etc....I don't know if you have another barn, I am assuming you don't, if you do, you probably won't need this. Electric - OH yes, a must...especially if you need heated buckets, water...very very nice, I don't have it in mine
sad.gif
. I love the idea you have with doors in the back to go to your other pasture, that's a great idea, then you don't have to worry about putting shelter in your 2nd pasture.

I'm going to camp this week and coming back on Thursday, I'll pm you some more pics thurs or friday. My barn is very simple, nothing fancy at all.

well I do have another shed/barn but it is small and will only hold 2 minis - right now momma and baby are in it and they have a small walk around area as well so they can come and go from their barn - I also have a 1/2 gable shed that will hold 15 to 20 bails of hay.Not sure about the elictricty since the shelter/barn is a distance from my garage - and I did check with hubby he will not under any reason give up his garage for my minis - so I have to hire someone to build me my dream barn - and hope it does not cost me more than $3000.00 or he will have a fit even though it is my money.Last winter I put an extension cord through long PVC pipes and used that to plug in my water heater -- worked great all winter.but the distance to the new barn will be the same --
sad.gif

the reason for front and back doors is so I do not have to build 2 barns and I figured that maybe -depth will be 8'

length- 26'

front height - 8'

back height- 7'

width- 10' or maybe 12' wide

each door will be 4' wide but not sure about the height of the split doors should be.

Also figured with the 2 extra feet I could hang me shovel and rake and halters also my leads as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I did it - I drew up a drawing of how I want the barn to look like and sent it out to find out $$$$ plus labour since hubby will have to be off his feet for a while - I will be like the photo above and will measure close to what I posted last except he said it will have to be 6 feet on the sloping down end. Now I have to wait to find out the cost
new_shocked.gif

The photo is great! In addition to the back doors, the only thing I would do is extend the roof so there is more overhang or a "loafing" area. To do that, you might not want to make the roof not quite as sloped.....errr.....another way of puting it is -- not have so much of an angle to the roof.

Just a thought.

MA

I asked the builder place about an over hang and he said that if I wanted to add one then IT Will cost more money and I would have to change the roof angle alltogether and make it a peek. So after it is built I will see what can be done and if anything - if not there is plenty of shade from the trees i I could add another part next year for an over hang of some type - but right now I have to keep the cost down as much as possible - hubby freeking out as it is --- keeps screeming that we need new windows for our house first.

I might be able to get something they use on mobile homes for shade but as it stands for now they will be able to go in and out on their own - they only have to be shut in at night. As for building it - I am still waiting for a call on how much $$$ it will cost and to go and see the plans they draw up also to find out how much it will cost to hire someone to build it.

Hubby has diabetis and got an infection in his foot so they had to remove 3 small toes - he will be off of his foot for some time - besides I have seen some of his building and it sucks - rather hire someone then have to wait till next year.
wacko.gif

Latest posts

Back