Horse selling can be so hard at times!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovepintos

Reaction score
I am selling a horse (one that I really don't want to sell but must), and I have one person interested in it. HOWEVER, most of the questions they have asked has mostly been financial and not about the horse. I am afraid to sell my horse to them because I'm afraid they aren't financially able to do so. I am more cautious now when I sell my horses because of the horror stories I hear about starvation and abuse especially stories I read hear on this forum.

Anyways my point is if you had a buyer who talks about how to pay for the horse, more than asking questions about the horse itself would you sell that horse to someone? How would you go by in telling that person without giving bad feelings?

Thanks!

What do you mean when you say they're just talking financial??? First question here is a big red flag to me - are they SCAMMERS? I recently received an e-mail regarding my filly and it reads like this:

"Thanks for your mail, im located in uk.Am okay with the condition of the sale of the { Fancy, elegant &quotB" size 2yr old filly/mare} and about the shipping i have the shipping agent that will be responssible for the shippment for the {Fancy, elegant &quotB" size 2yr old filly/mare} moreso i just want to inform you that very intrested in your {Fancy, elegant &quotB" size 2yr old filly/mare},but i have no cash with me now that is the reason i have contact one of my client that is owning me the some of $3,500 and i have told her the total price of the {Fancy, elegant &quotB" size 2yr old filly/mare}which is $1,450 and he is ready to pay me my money so i have inform by client to issued the certified check to you and i don't know if i can trust you with this transaction, immediately you recieve the check i will want you to up-date the excess funds to the shipping agent via westernunion money transfer so that they will came for the pic-up as soon as you transfer the fund to them .So all i want from you now is to mail me back with you r full contact information...

full name....

full address ......

city.......

zip code.....

country......

phone number both cell phone .so hope to read from you so that the payment can be sent to you as soon as possible.

Best of regards.."

this is the second e-mail i've received like this, first one I received when I was trying to sell my parrot - I received a phone call from a service that is for the deaf/mute, where they type and read over sentances so I thought it was real, until I received an e-mail like the one above but in much better english.

Notice how they just copied and pasted everything, including the mistakes, from the lilbeginnings sale board? And they never asked any real questions about my filly AND they called her an "item". BEWARE - delete their e-mail and just forget about it!

BUT if you are talking with a real person, maybe they are just really young and honestly cannot afford much...i'm that way, my very first horse I couldn't afford more than $100 a month but the owner was very kind, worked it out with me, and I just sent my last payment in last month to prove I do pay off what I say I will =) All it takes is a little trust and a SIGNED CONTRACT!

Same goes if the person is more mature (or older) but just has a limited budget. If you feel this person could give your mini a good home, care for it, keep it up to date on ferrier/shots/de-worming, will love it lots etc. but is simply struggling with monies right now, i'd see about working something out.

Good luck, I hope you get some better help lol i'm not really helpful, never sold a horse yet! But this is just my honest opinion =)

Well they talk about doing monthly payments. Can't do anymore than $100 a month. Than they talk about other financial stuff like boarding, or coggins, or having to pay any medical stuff like that. Yes grant it I know some people can't pay the full price right away, but the way they say it in the emails you are kind of weary about them. They even said that don't take it like we aren't financially stable, because we are and we wouldn't be buying a horse if we weren't, but I know people say that and than trouble starts. Its just sending a red flag up in my mind.

It sounds like maybe they didn't do enough homework before starting the sale. Maybe they really just don't know how much these things were going to cost and are feeling like they may be in over their heads now that they are talking about it?

It could also be that they would rather keep a large sum of money for emergencies than pay a large sum up front for the horse. They could very well have a good size chunk layed aside for emergencies and just be trying to get a nicer mini than they budgeted for?

Just wanted to add that you can usually tell by your gut if there is a problem. She is your horse, don't sell till you find the right person.

I screen all of my sales, and I certainly wouldn't discount someone because they are asking a lot of financial questions. After all, it is a sale, and it could be that they are very interested and are just trying to figure out how to buy the horse w/out having any surprise expenses and without breaking their own budget. (Nothing worse to a buyer than surprise expenses!
new_shocked.gif
)

When I have someone who asks a lot of financial questions, I carefully lay out in that ALL IMPORTANT SALES CONTRACT exactly what I will take care of and what the buyer will take care of, send them a draft to review, then start negotiations from there. If there are still a lot of questions, I arrange for a phone call (I like to talk to buyers before I finish a sale anyway), hash out the details, then send them a "final" contract.

If you're uneasy about this sale, I would recommend a phone call or, better yet, a face-to-face if that is possible and just ask them how they care of their horses. You can tell a lot about a person in the first few mintues of a phone call and I have turned down several offers after these calls. Also, ask for references from a vet. All little things to ease your mind and help you make a decision.
yes.gif

Just FYI... I don't tell the seller who I'm going to care for the horse unless they ask. I do ask a lot of questions about the horse's health and want to know if they are up to date on all shots, etc.

I would never rule out a sale soley on financial questions. Actually why go thru all the regular parts of a online sale, more photos, details about horse and personality, pedigree video and all of that if they are looking to make payments budgeted of X amount and you arent willingto take them. Better to save everyone time and get it all out there in the open then proceed

By the way... horses being starved or neglected 9 times out of 10 have NOTHING TO DO with lack of money

But you have to go with your gut

the comments about boarding costs would send up a red flag for me. Lots of times kids buy horses and board them but are unable to come up with enough money to keep the program rolling and still spend time with the horse. winter comes and they lose interest, don't pay board and the horse is sold at auction for back board. Most humane societies check out the potential home for the horse ahead of time and always insist that the property the horse is kept on is owned by the adopter or at least a family member. I have adopted out many many horses (took them in to rescue and make good citizens then find forever homes) and only had two fall through the cracks... recovered one of them and the other was "caught" by a friend... people who are interested in the best for the horse will not mind questions about how the horse will be taken care of at its new home, and I never even had anybody resist my requests to see the place it would stay before they adopted it, either. (these were never "free" horses, but adopted out for a fee) If you think something is funny it probably is. good luck!
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back