Horse Seizure, one mini with me now

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy appy

Reaction score
Well I was involved in another farm seizure this morning. Some horses and 2 minis. The mini mare has come to my place and the colt to a neighbors farm. They have had the mare and colt together over the winter and separated them this spring. The colt is 2 now. They haven't had any vet or farrier work in over 7 years. She is a papered mare by the name of MCWHIRTER'S FANCY DREAM 80725A AMHR. Her teeth are terrible with hooks. Her feet really don't look that bad, in need of a trim for sure but not terrible. It's the swelling infront of her udder that has me getting the vet out ASAP.

July82010006.jpg

July82010005.jpg

July82010007.jpg

July82010004.jpg

It turn out that the colt and his mom were together from Dec to mid March. The owner figured that it would be ok because she felt that the mare wasn't cycling during that time.

Well, unless there is something drastically wrong with the colt it shouldn't be a tragedy. When I was in Ag classes in high school the saying was; father to daughter, mother to son but brother and sister should never be done. I would not do this kind of thing all the time. However, I do not feel it is a disaster.

Thanks Goodness for that! I thought that the foal could be born with deformities or something like that. What do you think of her? She really is a cutie. Good to handle too.

Very pretty mare and really FAT. I know a few years back after I moved my mare home I thought my mare was in foal. She was fat as she was when pregnant and had started a bag-even had some fluid in there, and I swear I saw movement. Hauled her to the vet and had her checked and she was not in foal.
default_no.gif
She was just too darn fat. This was when I wasn't able to exercise her much due to broken ankle. She lost the belly fast once I put her to work. And she still has some liquid in her udders since her last foal. I imagine if I ever had a foal who was orpahed she would probably come into milk fast for them. LOL She loves being a mommy.

the "swelling" in front of her udder is probably a fat pocket , and judging by how well shes been eating I doubt her teeth are causing too much bother , she looks a sweetie
smile.gif

The swelling is very squishy, water bed like. lol She sure is fat though, no problem eating that's for sure. She is presenting to my yearling colt so maybe not in foal.

She is a nice mare... and I agree, really fat. She looks to have nice breeding behind her. Some folks just dont have the sense God gave a goose. Why were they seized?

Despite being fat, I am sure the hooks on her teeth are wreaking havoc inside her mouth and need to be taken care of.

She's lovely
default_wub.png
I wouldn't worry about the accidental breeding if for no other reason than there's nothing you can do about it anyway
default_smile.png
:)

They were seized because of lack of vet and farrier care for more than 7 years. The lady didn't have money to have the vet or farrier in so turned them over to the Humane society this morning. They have been in discussions for a few weeks now but it just happened today. The colt had very long feet, over 6 inches. The minis were luck compared to the horses. The minis had 2 acres of grassy pasture a piece but the horses only had about 1.5 acres of what was grassy pasture, now dry lot without hay. I didn't stay to find all the ins and outs of the seizure though. I needed to grab the minis and my the trailer for the other trailers for the horses.

Well my mare is pregnant but I know she is not due for a while and she is FAT... she's been out on pasture and I just now relised just how fat she is and she has a lot of swelling just like that that is definatly fat pockets. I would say it's probably fat pockets for your mare too.

What a pretty, pretty mare! I haven't been on much lately as my husband is home for a visit (Army), but it sounds like you've been busy taking care of horses who need it! Does the Humane Society contact you when they take in minis?

I'm listed as a facility that can take farm animals and can transport them too. I usually get calls asking if I have place for this and that all the time. I housed 22 different seized animals last year alone. This year I am cutting way back this year. She is only the 3rd so far. I work full time now and try to show my mare (Big horse) a few times a season so train 4-5 times a week.

Tobiano and Sabino, frame is always a possibility of course so good thing there's a test
default_smile.png

Anyhow, I have an open, never been bred mare who has that in front of her udder (and yes, my mare could definately stand to loose a few pounds!)

Latest posts

Back