Horse sales

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it is a free country...but imo you get what you pay for. I have never personally bought from a sale but have gone to several but never the big sales and the local sales will always be there. I breed only a few a year and have sold locally or kept mine if I could not sell them. I have only been STIFFED once on a horse and it was a local private individual I knew (that fiqures) so I want some kinda guarantee as to breeding soundness-etc...etc. and a reputable breeder should have no problem giving that to you AND a contract is important also...people that buy from the auctions may think they are getting a good deal but when they end up with a sick or non breedable horse they very seldom have any recourse and usually dump them on unsuspecting folks new to minis (like my second mare) stupid me :DOH! Lesson learned. But again this is ONLY my personal opinion!
default_wacko.png
I guess I should clarify myself. I have gone to the local horse sales where it is mainly biggies. Once in awhile there is a mini there (usually in very poor shape-similar to the Uniontown minis) that is why I quit going to them (breaks my heart) there are Good -clean mini/pony auctions around but I personally prefer to go thru a reputable breeder. I have also had plenty of folks ask for JUST A PET and I will try and help them find a free one or low cost or have them contact CMHR
default_aktion033.gif
and try and adopt and explain why mine are a tad more expensive. They are more then welcome to come to my farm to learn more about these wonderful little horses! Oh...and if I was to ever buy one from an auction advertised as Papered then I best get those after the purchase
default_yes.gif
and now I shall JUST SHUT-UP
default_wacko.png

One thing that bothers me is that you said:

"I think if they sell them for nothing they should pull the papers. If they pay a pet price that is what they sould get. "

I know one thing for certain. If I ever went to a sale and bid on a registered horse and got the bid and the horse, if and when I went to pay for it and the seller "pulled the papers" because they thought they had sold the horse too low and it should have been a pet only, I would NEVER, EVER buy from that sale or that seller ever again. Once you put a registered horse in a sale, no matter what you agree to sell it for, once the gavel hits the dock, that horse is sold-with the papers it was consigned with like it or not. You can do that kind of thing for private sales at home but don't ever try that at a cataloged auction. Not sure if you understand that or not but you seem to think that is an okay thing to do.
if you pulled the papers that would have to be said at the time of the sale. You woul let them go for that price with no papers. I have seen that done before & you can either take them or not!

What I don't understand is what do you accomplish by "pulling the papers?"

Is sure doesn't do your horse any favors to lose it's pedigree..

--As a side note, that selling horses is not always about the money:

I bought a weanling from a reputable breeder as triple registered. When I went to submit one of

Registration/transfer forms the registry informed that this foal wasn't eligible. Long story short the breeder/seller paid to hardship the colt, because what they had advertised to me was triple registered and they intended to stand behind their horse and what they represent. Now I did not pay a lot for the colt to start with and by the time they paid to hardship, they basically made nothing, but they certainly earned my respect and they will be friends for life.
default_yes.gif

"I think if they sell them for nothing they should pull the papers. If they pay a pet price that is what they sould get. "
I have a big problem with this comment. Why make the horse pay for the fact they are worth less money? I do not think the horse should suffer or be made to be the lessor because of the owners mistake. If you want a pet ..buy a pet and if it has papers, it shouldnt matter to THAT person, but it may matter to the person down the road that may own that horse after that buyer. I guess i am just not following you on that comment. Since when can pets not have papers? If you do not want to sell them for $75.00 then DONT sell them for $75.00 and DONT complaine when you put the horse through a sale and get that low price.

If you are taking a horse to an auction expecting to get "show quality" price, well i have no sympathy for you. There is a market for horses OUTSIDE the auction block.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be my last response. But I was so upset over the prices & then people emailing me & saying what a great sale it was. If you know me or anyone that does I am one of the most honest people going. My word means everything to me . If I say something I do it. Even if it means I lose. Sometime too honest for my own sake. I have never done this. But If you tell the bidder in the ring that they can have them at that price with no papers, they have a choice of taking them for that if not it is a no sale. I have seen it done & thought it was a good idea. It isn't any differnt than a no sale! You are giving them another option if they still wont the horse.

what I think is wrong is selling a amha 35 inch horse with papers. Most of us know that it really doen't have papers, but some people don't know. Or selling a 35 inch horse that is double reg. amha & amhr

Some of you are really mean

I was not the only one upset at the sale. Lots of talk going on what needed to be done to help the miniature horses. When you have to sell them for 75.00 & it isn't the money . I just hate to see it going that way! when this happend they went to the meat market because the could get more money for them that way. Think about the horses. I see all kinds of rescue stuff on here now. This could just be the beginning!!!!!!!!!!!

I said the last post would be my last. But for you people that have been so mean. Let me tell you

I am not in this for the money. I have feed one of my neighbors horse over 250 of them out of my own pocket for about 5 yr. because i can't stand to see them hungery. I have took them in an feed them every 30 min. some I saved & some I couldn;t I have paid vet bill out of my pocket. Our Vet. know me if they get one sick he will tell me if I take them they will have a chance but if they stay where they are they don;t have a chance I fell that the horses don't ask to be born if we do then it is our responsability to take care of them. I finaly just had to quit, a lot of this is why my health is bad. So don't tell me i am in it just for the money. Or that I am a bad person. Who else on here has done this or would do this! Just breaks my heart. The human socity wont do anything. MY horses are like my kids, I cry when they leave, but it help to know they are getting a good home or I would not sell them. My concern is for the horses not me!

I guess my opinion of a successful sale and yours just differs greatly. I consider a success when everyone comes, has a good time, horses find great new homes and everyone gets home safe and sound. I don't count success with a bottom dollar figure. In every sale someone wins some, someone loses some, some don't spend at all but come for the chance to renew relationships and fellowship.
default_smile.png

Hey I dont think you said anything wrong or anything that hasnt been said before. We all need to lighten up a bit. Everyone is entitled to their opinions! I think for sure hay prices have hurt everyone in the horse industry in the last year. There is a lot that goes into what you can get for a horse besides the horse. Hay & feed prices, the economy etc.

I also dont like to see horses selling at auction for 75.00. Its not good for any of us but I do understand that sometimes peoples lives take a turn and they have to sell no matter what price they get.

But I have the utmost respect for the farms that no sale and take them home. I had a friend a couple years ago selling a awesome stallion at auction. The bid went to within 300.00 of what she wanted. She absolutely stood her ground and told the bidder she would no sale if they did not come up 300.00. Well they did come up and she got her price. It takes a lot of guts to stand your ground like that but she did and it paid off.

I still think that people are still willing to pay a good price for a well taken care of, handled quality horse.

what I think is wrong is selling a amha 35 inch horse with papers. Most of us know that it really doen't have papers, but some people don't know. Or selling a 35 inch horse that is double reg. amha & amhr
......... Still boils down to the fact that you cannot mandate honesty.

Lots of talk going on what needed to be done to help the miniature horses.
Everyone needs to stop breeding for several years - lets say 5 years or say. But we know that won't happen & it is not just the back yard (small) breeders. Big farm ads that need to reduce their herd because they are expecting dozens + foals!!!!!!
default_wacko.png
. Some breeders think they have earned the right to keep on breeding while others should not!!!

Think about the horses. I see all kinds of rescue stuff on here now. This could just be the beginning!!!!!!!!!!!
..... True the economy in the last couple of years has made it worse but the signs started way back in the 90's........ It is past time to face reality & realize there are too many horses being bred to meet the demand.. People who think the prices are going way up again are not living in my world or need to get their heads out of the sand..................... Lee & I have reduced our herd from 20ish to our current 6 horses. We averaged about 3 foals a year. And yes I cried when my favorite mares & our buddy Omega left our farm. We don't have a breeding stallion now & we have already discussed that we may not be breeding our mares this year.

I have feed one of my neighbors horse over 250 of them out of my own pocket for about 5 yr. because i can't stand to see them hungery...................... some I saved & some I couldn;t I have paid vet bill out of my pocket. The human socity wont do anything. . My concern is for the horses not me!
This is heartbreaking to live near & see horses that are starving & in desperate need of vet care. I hate to see more government control but someone has to tell irresponsible animal owners that they CANNOT keep breeding if they do NOT take care of their current animals.. Perhaps it is time to prove one is worthy of breeding & owning animals or lose the right to do so.
default_unsure.png
Yes a license to do so as we all know some people will NOT do it on their own!.
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back