Horse sale

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

Reaction score
ohmy.gif
I was at a horse sale today. There were some stunningly lovely horses there . They were show clipped, groomed to the 9's and had been shown to boot. They set up perfectly in a few seconds--sold quite low. A gorgeous Buckeroo stallion -- small - - didn't get up to 700.00 -- . then there was a stallion that had problems (in my eyes anyway)- sold over a thousand -- not clipped or groomed. This type of thing went on all day-- a REALLY nice horse would go cheap & a not so good one sell high.

It makes me wonder if people really do not know what to look for in a horse. It also seems to me that if you bring them to a sale all fitted for the show ring, people seem almost afraid to bid on them-- a lot of people have not seen horses groomed for show I think.What a beautiful presentation they made-- quite a nice advertisement for our breed.

Also there was a small dwarf put through the sale --they sold him as a PINTO STALLION -- registered AMHR. $275.00. I was very disappointed to see this happen.

Another mare with a filly on her side with badly twisted legs -- sold as a possible 3 in 1 one package. Would anyone actually plan to breed this poor little thing? it was quite pathetic,really made me sad to see .

Does this happen often at sales? I had never seen anything this terrible before.

I was quite sure that AMHR does not register dwarfs --??

A lot of people DO NOT know what to look for, you are unfortunately right.

I think a lot of people in general get into minis without any big horse experience. They do not know good conformation from bad.

Then with an auction, there may be plenty of big horse people there who just aren't used to looking at minis, and when you are new to seeing minis, they ALL look adorable.

The worst is that dwarf stallion
no.gif
That is one reason why I think it's good to go to some local shows and parades when you can and show the people what "good" minis look like. Most of them have only seen them on TV, and a lot of times, those are dwarfs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from an auction where a "homozygous" dwarf sold for $1200
new_shocked.gif
...(that's not a typo). I hope to God they aren't going to breed it. At the same sale, a Sids Rebel DAUGHTER, with a colt by her side sired by a 3 time Nat'l Ch., and in foal to a double Rowdy son sold for $1700...I don't get it. I do think people buy for color and don't understand conformation or genetics. And they don't understand when that "colorful little horse" doesn't produce for them.
wacko.gif

I do think people buy for color and don't understand conformation or genetics.

I agree with you all and I find this to be one of the biggest problems in the miniature breed. So many OOoooooo and AHhhhhhh over anything with color. Then someone posts a picture of an absolutely stunning "solid" color individual with little response.
no.gif

Now I am not saying there are not some really nice horses of color but most people just do not have a clue about conformation. Or they will buy a horse because it has a long mane and tail.......crazy things like that. Unfortunately too many unknowledgeable buyers and color is all they can see. Sad.

no.gif
no.gif
no.gif

minis should not be bought unless owners have have a idea what they are getting them selfs into...

my stud & gelding were bought as a pair.. (18 yrs ago.. older than me) the stud is every thing that should be in the breed, but not reg. BUT the gelding (form germany) is fat, stalky, not paticent with ppl he dosn't like, not very friendly & may have signs of the draf.. but we paid more for him, because he was cute.. but i find our stud has soo many more virtues..

i just bougt a pinto filly for her looks & colour, now i did go to see her 2 times, before buying, checked conformation... ect..

i think that draf story is very sad.. what if his new owners don't treat him as a draf?... i pitty that poor soal..
no.gif

We were at the same sell that Brookhaven was at and we bought that Sids Rebel daughter with a colt by her side by Hunt House Farms Medallion a 3 time national champion and National Reserve Grand Champion. And she is vet checked in foal to SRF Aristocrat a grandson of Rowdy and Orion Light Van Huttnest. We figured that she was going to go for 5,000 at the least but thankfully she didn't because now we have a direct son and daughter of Sids Rebel. That dwarf filly that sold for 1,200 was very suprising. A Eygtian King daughter sold for 1,850 which was a steal.

unfortuantely this happens alot. There are some auctions that are better then others. I get so mad though when i see dwarfs sold as stallions. I so wish the auction houses would refuse to sell them unless they are gelded. We found at a couple auctions last year that anything small (under 30") sold for bigger money then the much nicer leggiers horses.

And i agree. So many people in miniatures have no idea what good conformation is.

Aubrey715, you truly got the buy of the sale!!!
aktion033.gif
I also think that sales should turn away dwarfs. It does not do the breed any good to advertise and sell dwarfs. If you have a dwarf, there are many farms that will take them and take care of them. But to run them through a sale and someone thinks they're cute because they are small and doesn't know any better, then ends up with real problems and blames the breed. And, by the way, from what I hear that Egyptian King daughter doesn't get in foal....just what I heard.

We were at a sale last fall just to watch and they did keep the dwarfs separate and sold them with no papers. Several times potential buyers asked during the sale as they were bidding for the papers. Thankfully the sellers refused to offer any. The dwarves sold and I'm sure some will be bred as that was the comments we heard outside the sale.

At same sale there were some really nice mares and a "Sids Rebel' stud that sold real cheap for the quality. There were some poor conformation Appys that went for good money that should never be bred, but were purchased just for the color to breed with.

We might be new to minis but it didn't take long to figure out many of these people had no clue what they were buying.

Mark

To answer your question about AMHR registering dwarves, yes they do because since no photos are required for registration, they have no way to identify the horse as a dwarf. In AMHA, photos are required, and most are rejected at initial registration. Some look normal enough as foals, but at transfer of ownership or taking registration perm. can be caught and revoked then.

I am always saddened when people buy them thinking they are getting such a great deal, after all, it is tiny! You know these folks are going to be disillusioned and driven away from miniature horses.

I wish that the auctioneers would identify them as dwarves, but I am afraid the legal implications are too great for that. After all, there really isn't a legal definition of dwarf just yet. AMHA is now referring to the dwarfism traits as 'undesireable characteristics'.

Just back from the Mt. Airy sale:

Aubrey--honey you guys got a steal and have my congradulations on it! That mare was soooo pretty--and her colt--sigh! Oh man--are you guys going to breed her to Reno next year???? That was the best deal of the sale to be sure! You sooo need to update your website--nudge nudge!

There was an AWSOME two year old black stallion there from Honeysuckle Knoll--this boy is blue blooded for sure--he sold for $300 or $350...can't remember which. Then there were short legged, long backed, cow-hocked studs with off bites and bad attitudes going for way more than this guy--it makes so sence at all.

My favorite horse in the sale was a red roan yearling filly from Honeysuckle Knoll that was 33" so most likely going to be a B size...still, this girl was everything I like...and she sold for $700. I saw her this past spring and loved her in the field (the black was NICE then too) this girl is built to drive and moves like it! She should make someone an AWSOME all around horse in a couple of years.

The sale was fun all in all--but VERY hot at 95 degrees and way high humidity. I loved getting to see everyone.

-Amy

rolleyes.gif
I was at a horse show one time and a lady came up to me and was admiring my horse. She was going on and on about how beautiful he was and how much was his stud fee. Well his color is quite striking but she was really upset when I informed her he was a gelding. She asked me how could I geld such a beautiful horse. I told her he has a common head crooked hind legs and he's not stallion material. Some people only see color and cannot judge conformation at all. I really pick my horses apart and I'm VERY picky when it comes to breeding stock. No it doesn't surprise me what you saw at the auction. Linda B
rolleyes.gif

OMG yes...I am a newbie to Minis...BUT I looked at them for two years before we bought anything, and we talked, explored, read everything we could. Lurked on here and learned!

I love the beauty of a good Champaigne, Black,SOrrel..all the solid horses as it makes one really look at the horse and appreciate them.

Look at my little SHortcake with her bad feet and solid color and she's the prettiest girl in the world.

Then look at Buddy. Can't say we didn't find him striking, BUT what we were looking for was a gentle well trained gelding for 4-H and driving and the fact they we'rent registered wasn't an issue for us..

Now we see these gorgeous doubled registered horses going for what we paind for him! That's a shame and I agree with you all.

Maxine

[SIZE=14pt]I was at that sale too....sold my black and white stallion Blue and he was one of the only 2 that brought over 1000.... The Boogerman Black stallion that I didnt see brought 1600. Blue brought 1125 .... Amy I hope that he wasnt the one you didnt like..... anyway the next highest selling stallion was 600. most were in the 350 dollar range and there wre some that only brought bids of 150 and were no saled.... there were lots of bred little mares that sold for under 1000. There were three that I loved but since my husband said I better not bring home anything but money.... I let Goughs borrow my trailer to take their 3 home. I thought that two of the Reece family horses were awesome and my best friend Cheryl Powell took a hawk daughter home for PEANUTS at 1200. It was definitely a buyers sale.[/SIZE]

Lyn

[SIZE=14pt]Also wanted to add for those of you wondering about the amhr only horses and especially the marketability of the B mini.... the highest selling horse of the sale was a B black and white mare with a black and white filly at her side. This mare has been shown and has been halter champion I have seen her shw.... she sold for 3750.00 with her filly! The little horses didnt even bring a third of that most of them![/SIZE]

Lyn

Lyn dear--your stallion was not dwarfy looking!!! If you think back I bet you will know what I am talking about....cow hocked, short legs, bad feet, long back, pot belly....

I hope Cheryl will post pics of her pretty new mare--she will be a stunning cross to her driving stallion!! It was just such a shame to see that nice black stallion with SO much potential sell so cheap!

Ohh....I want to tell the story about the high selling mare and her filly sooooo bad...but I will sit on my hands and wait for the new owner to share. Oh this is soooo hard!!! Come on, new parents of this beautiful mare and filly...before I expload!!! This is SUCH a great story!

This is an interesting thread!

However, this way of thinking is NOT unique to mini's or even horses. Some people put more thought into buying a toothbrush than they do an animal. I find this with dogs people will spend top dollar on a dog with unique coloring and blue eyes even though it is a huge flaw for the breed. People will buy a poor quality petstore puppy based on color and cuteness and pay triple what they could pay for a real quality pup from a reputable breeder! It does not amke any sense!!

[SIZE=14pt]Yes Amy I know who you are talking about! anyway.... Cheryl better post pics of her Hawk daughter.... she is going to be bred to Uno next year I believe..... Cheryl is soooooo lucky!!!My other favorite was that bay mare that had the colt with her... that was weaned and sold separately.... I cant remember her name but I adored her. I didnt find out who bought Blue Hope it was a forum member or at least someone in the club down there. I had many people ask me if he was the one from the LB board and I said yes.... They told me he was way prettier in person.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I've also seen it the other way around, where a perfectly gorgeous horse that isn't turned out to show him at his best goes for peanuts, while a real dog that is turned out show ring perfect brings top dollar. There are many people who are easily fooled by presentation and first impressions.

And, whoever it was here that said it doesn't matter what the announcer has to say about a horse--no matter how glowing his words are--if a buyer doesn't like the horse he isn't going to buy. Usually that's true, but hahahaha, I do know a few people that get totally sucked in by the words--they hear the horse is wonderful and so they see that the horse must be wonderful. These are people that have been in horses many, many years too, and ought to be able to judge horses for themselves, but they simply can't.

Latest posts

Back