Horse-Related Injuries

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a teenager a colt bit me in the stomach, gave me a nice haematoma. Few years later the same colt bucked his rider off, came running after my mare (that I was riding) and lashed out his back feet at her in play. Only my leg was in the way- broke my shin and cut through my boot and breeches. He didn't even have shoes on, thankfully I guess. Then while working as a show groom broke big toe being stepped on by Hanoverian stallion, kicked in the knee by a thoroughbred, and run over by my own TB when he slipped in the mud. Broke a collar bone going over the jump without my horse, broke hip, you know, all the usual stuff.

It has to be the guardian angels. Not just with horses. Blown tires of semis on the highway, giving birth to our kids, cancer scares, when deer run out on the highway in front of you. Life is risky. You guys deserve the iron panty award for toughness! And thank the Lord for our Guardian Angels!

I've been on plenty of rented stable horses in my life, but never got hurt even once, except the inside of the knees from bouncing around in saddles that were too big for me... lol! However, I was once bitten by a colt on the arm when I was a teenager.

I got my first horse when I was 48 (in 1999) - an Arabian gelding. I went through crap with him... He started rearing with me, but I was able to hold on. I consulted 'horse whisperers' and tried half a dozen different saddles to no avail. Then, he decided to start bucking. I was able to ride out several bucks by grabbing one rein and twisting his head around... but, he finally caught me off guard and I ended up in the hospital. I lost about 6 hours of memory on that one. I went out Sunday morning with a riding buddy and woke up in the hospital about 3 p.m. I remember the doctor asking me what day of the week it was... I said 'orange.' Then he asked me who the president was. I said Reagan... snort! I tried going back to work the following Tuesday and I couldn't remember how to do my job. I wigged out at work and my boss took me back to the hospital where the doctor told me to go home and not go back to work for a week. It took almost a week for my brain to come back online.

Needless to say, I saw the writing on the wall and decided to trade him in on a newer model...
default_smile.png
I contacted one of his former owners (endurance facility) and she wanted him back and offered to trade me one of her Arab horses that she had for sale. (I was big on endurance riding at this time and was determined to ride the Tevis Cup.) I traded Zack for the cutest pure Polish (El Paso bloodlines) blood bay Arab mare, about 14 hands. I was still pretty scared to ride out of the round pen because of Zack, but finally I got up the courage to ride out on the trail... All was going fine with Sassy until I was 'two-pointing' up a hill - standing in the stirrups (timing myself) and my fleece saddle cover came undone, slid off the saddle and 'flanked' her... She quivered (couldn't even call it a shy) and I went flying... Landed with my arm outstretched, full force on my side.

I remembered Sassy running off (the bitch! Trigger would not have done that!) to the stables. I was about a mile away. I was hurting really bad... Picked up my saddle cover, folded it in half and held it against my chest to help stabilize the pain... I started walking back to the stables. About the time I got to the driveway, another boarder came up in his car and took me the rest of the way... I must have been a sorry sight as the stable owner took one look at me and called 911... They all thought I had broken my back. When the ambulance got there, they put me on a back board and a neck brace and, red lights and sirens, took me back to Denver (the stable was about 45 minutes away) where I ended up in the hospital for 4-5 days. I had several cracked/broken ribs, bruised hip, and a semi-collapsed lung. The doctor said I couldn't leave until my lung re-inflated... He also mentioned something about a trocar.... No freakin way was he going to poke a hole in my chest! My lung finally re-inflated and I got to go home.

I saw the writing on the wall. At that time, I lived by myself in a 3 floor walk up apartment. If I had broken my hip (I was 50 by this time), I would have ended up in a nursing home as I did not have a 'support group' in the form of friends or relatives in Denver. I also figured out I WAS NOT the great rider I thought I was, I no longer 'bounced' when I hit the ground, and I figured out that I really wanted to 'stop and smell the roses' along the trail and not ride heck bent for leather on a 100 mile endurance ride... So, I figured out I was a Quarter Horse mosey type of rider and not a 'race with the wind' Arabian type rider... ;)

In September 2001 I ended up selling Sassy and the palomino Mustang mare I had adopted... I did ride a horse a couple of times after that, but it wasn't until I 'discovered' Miniature Horses in 2007 that I returned to the Equine world...

Because of my prior experience with big horses, I am very cautious even around the small ones. One thing that was impressed upon me when I was learning about Minis is: They Are Still Horses... Not big dogs! And need to be treated as horses at all times. I have never let any of my Minis get away with anything. I'm always cautious when I bring a horse into a pen with others, especially stallions. I am usually with Toni when we're moving horses around and, just tonight, we brought Rohan back into the pen with the rest of the stallions... He had been 'grounded' for hogging the water trough. I made sure the other stallions stayed back when Toni brought him into the pen and turned him loose...

I am also careful with mares because even they can get into ticking contests with each other... One thing we've taught all the minis is when we're in a pen with them, there had better be not scuffling around us... We use body language and our voices to keep things in check. When we raise our voices, they know they're in big trouble. eta: They KNOW we're lead/boss mare and act accordingly when we come on scene...

As for injuries since I've had Minis... I was kicked in the jaw by a newborn foal three years ago because I 'let down my guard.' Needless to say, that's been pretty much it, except for the occasional stepped on toe...

We're just very careful when we're amongst the Minis, we make sure the trouble makers are separate from certain other horses and we're well aware of where each Mini is when we're handling them...

Kari

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprisingly most of my bad injuries came from playing basketball in high school and not from horses. I have had broken toes, broken fingers, and my QH gelding flipped over backward on top of me while I was riding him. I only had scrapes and some pretty good bruises, but I jumped right back on and off we went again-I think I was just in shock. I've only been bit a few times, only been kicked a few times (mostly by naughty foals), and I've never been knocked down. We've got a lot of big old pasture born and raised mares that have sure tried though. My grandmother has been knocked down, dragged, and had some fingers dislocated, but I don't think any of us has ever had to go to the ER (knock on wood). I'm sure something exciting will happen one of these days. I have a very good friend in Wyoming that is always getting injured, but she has cattle and mostly larger horse breeds. One of her worst was getting caught between a fence and two very angry bulls that got loose and were trying to kill each other. They knocked the gate on top of her and it literally smashed her head in. She was in a coma for months and had to have a couple of metal plates put in to fill in the dents. She still has a lot of memory issues and is now blind in one eye. Needless to say, she is done with cattle, but is still trucking with the horses! One really tough lady, and I think misunderstand by some people because of the memory problems, but she is as sweet as can be. From the stories, I don't think I'll be trading in my horses for cattle any time soon.

The other thing I learned is that a small women like me needs to be very careful when showing up at the ER with horse related injuries. The ER staff usually gives my husband a funny look, and I long ago stopped going to the nearest hospital in a very urban area. I try to rotate hospitals or just not go and let things heal.
This!

My long time boyfriend is a SOLID 6'9", 250 lbs. Im 5' maybe.He wouldn't hurt a fly, super goofy guy. Surprisingly, the massive head trauma was the ONLY time they didn't accuse him of beating me! However, I guess I was sitting in the waiting room repeating "I got that b*tch back good!" and poking my forehead and syaing "Im a UNICORN!" Over and over and over, and he just rolled with it.

My husband (then fiancé) has 2 serious horse accidents in his 2 total times of being on a horse. The first happened when he was 7. He was trail riding up behind his uncle on a full sized Appy. The details aren't entirely clear, but the gist says that the Appy wanted to be leader, but wasn't allowed. In a temper tantrum, he reared, my husband slid off the rear, and then the Appy continued going over backwards. He eventually sat on my husband. Punctured and collapsed left lung, several broken ribs, broken collar bones, and a long time in the hospital.

Fast forward 17 years. He meets horse-crazy me & is once again introduced to horses. I had a skittish QH. He was fine as long as nothing touched his back legs. I'd been riding forever, so I was riding bareback around the yard. I slid off to talk with him. Then he got the idea to be like me... He tried to jump on, but missed, with his legs flailing and hitting my gelding's hind legs as he fell to the ground. My gelding flipped out and took off, in the process he used my husband's back (left flank) as a starting block. I've got a stomping horse and a curled up fiancé on my hands, so while I try to calm the horse I try to ask what's wrong. It happened so fast I didn't catch everything. My husband pulled his shirt up and staggered away from the horse (that pulled away from me in a panic and continued running away). My husband ended up with a 'cracked' kidney, bruised pancreas, 'shattered' spleen, and broken ribs. He spent 31 total days in the hospital. For 3 weeks he was in a 'meat and potatoes' bag instead of any food or drink (besides water) going straight into his bloodstream. He lost 20-30 lbs in that time period. He proposed to me a little less than 2 months later. My gelding died (West Nile) 4 years later with an over-the-fence relationship with my husband.

My worst accident didn't seem like much at the time, but ended up costing me long-term harm. I was 15 and riding with the barn owner's 5 year old daughter down the wooded trail to the arena. I'm unsure what exactly happened, but our horses spooked and spun around raced for home. My horse was 15.3 HH & about 1000lbs and hers was 15 HH and at least 1000 lbs (another Appy). I got some control of my mare before she could, so I was behind her. She was sitting tilted to the side and in danger of falling into the path of my mare. I urged my mare ahead of her gelding and jumped from the saddle with my reins to grab her reins & stop both horses. I landed and apparently hyper flexed my left knee. Both horses stopped though and I got back on (after leading both horses through the 'dragon' infested trail) and rode with her for a while. Then I rode my bike 5 miles back to my home. I wrapped my knee and just thought I'd sprained it or something. So I went on to play a season of basketball, run indoor track (hurdles & 400 m), and began the outdoor track season (relays, 300 m hurdles, & 400m). My knee got so bad that I couldn't run a 1/4 mile any longer. I ended up having surgery 3 times and was told to stop riding if I expected to be able to walk by the time I was 40. I developed scar tissue from my knee joint flexing backwards that eroded an extra groove behind my kneecap. That's when I got into driving instead of riding (the gelding that injured my husband was bought with the purpose of being a driving horse, but he flunked out badly).

Another experience riding with younger kids... I was riding the same mare as above and another child' was riding her gelding in a pasture. My mare's 18 month old filly was tied to a tree while we rode. Somehow she pulled lose and began running while screaming toward her mother. The gelding thought she was chasing him and bolted. You know how horses feed each other's fears? Well, my mare began racing around like she was scared of her own foal. I kept screaming to the little girl (10 or so years old that I'd given informal lessons to) for her to emergency dismount like we'd practiced. She was too scared, but lost a stirrup and hooked her arm around the saddle horn. I again urged my mare to catch up to the frightened gelding (not the wisest choice, but I was 16 at the time). When we got close enough I jumped to grab his reins and had both horses stopped for a moment. Then my filly came running and screaming again just when I had my hand on each horses' halter. I flew for I'm not sure how long (100 feet maybe) suspended by my handhold on their halters. I finally had to let go because the horses were going on opposite sides of a tree with my head aimed at the tree. I must have kept my grip on one horse because I ended up in the woods anyway with one hoof (no clue which horse) stepping on my wrist and another on my wrist, and another on my shoulder. Sprained wrist and ankle and bruises on my back, legs, arms, and pretty much everywhere. The little girl ended up with a broken arm. The horses were fine. Crazy beasts!

I've had tons of bruises, cuts, and bumps, but nothing serious except the above. I've been lucky, but I agree that having children really changes your priorities. I just don't feel like I can risk myself as much... So now I've got my hands on 4 minis & a Belgian to drive!

I have had many injuries but thank god no broken bones.. besides the occasional "lets slam my rider into a jump" some of my horses liked to do, ive had some bad experiences...

1. Fair new baby TB got an attitude when I was giving her medication and she whirled around so fast I could not move out of the way and she double barreled me in my rib cage and thank god I was so close she couldnt get full extension so nothing got broken. She tried to attack me again but I was able to throw a lead rope at her to break her concentration so I could get out of there.
  2. Had a horse rear up and flip over backwards on me. I would have tried to jump off but as I leaned foward to get him to come back down because his neck was so short he got there before me and hit me in the face, I blacked out and fell off and then he lost his balance and came down on me.. again luckily no broken bones
  3. Had a mare I was training try to buck me off and when that wasnt working she started slamming into the sides of the indoor to shake me that way
ive had a lot more but I think those were the majors

Ok, so I can add a new injury to the list. It's kind of funny too, altho at the moment it happened I wasn't laughing. Typical freak accident- bad beasties! I went out to the barn where the Beastie Boys live, they share a paddock that is bordered on one side by the arena wall. For some reason the new hay has big shiny slick straw pieces in it, and it is usually thrown near their gate. They had almost no water when we got there, so the remainder was dumped out and my friend went to pull the hose through a stall to water them. I had my back to the boys (Mistake #1!) and was messing with their gate. Paxton came over to see what I was doing, Jake ran up behind him and body slammed him. Paxton slammed into me, I ricocheted off the arena wall and landed flat since the hay was like ice. It surprised a yell out of me, so my friend came running. Found me laying in the hay with the boys looking at me trying to figure out what I was doing down there. Silly bad beasties!

My latest was with an old Arabian Mare (yes, chestnut). I've been saying for some time that she is going a bit senile. Anyway her feet were being trimmed and she was playing up a treat. Farrier and I were talking about sedating her next time and I had just said "I don't think we are going to get this done today".

Farrier picked up her back foot, she freaked, ploughed through his crate of tools, over the hoof stand, knocked me down, went around again and then her feet went out from under her and she fell on ME. All happened in a couple of seconds, why did I hold onto the lead? Why this and why that?

Anyway, broken leg, right at the top of the tibia (tibia plateau) where it meets the knee, plates, screws, full length leg brace and 7 weeks in Rehab because I live alone and was TOTALLY useless. I am now allowed to put weight on it and am now home....with """"aged care"""" assistance. SHOOT.

Wonderful neighbour has kept my 30 critters alive.

Hopefully I can resume full transmission soon.

Amazing we live through some of these episodes! Reading through, I remembered things long since forgotten... The time I was loping bareback/tackless in an arena and my good friend jumped in front of my horse (we were a kind bunch of kids lol). I went one direction, my mare went the other, no serious injuries that time. At a show, in their greater wisdom snow management had for some reason closed the big end gate and had us entering through a small walk gate, down a couple of steps with sand over, my horse shied part way through and out my knee between the saddle and a concrete wall. They heard me scream all over the arena.
default_smile.png
, and the knee has never been the same. I was 15, and further damaged it skiing a few years later. Have had the usual assortment of bumps and bruises but no other major injuries, pretty fortunate I guess. Lots of times I probably should have had wrecks that I didn't too.

Jan

I don't think I'd dare get inbetween "horseplay" between even my two smallest minis... Mostly for my own welfare, but also, if I'm put out of action, it wouldn't be good for them, either.

My injuries are a concussion from a fall, a broken toe from a big horse, and so many bad bruises, I rarely remember where the latest one came from...

What can I say? Us horse people are a little crazy
default_wub.png
... but we have a lot of fun
default_biggrin.png

First 35 years of riding big horses, only baled once. And a few stepped on toes. No accidents.
And rode a wide variety of horses, many I won't get any where near now.
I do not tolerate ill manners from any animal, I train them to behave. The minute I step into a pasture, I am alpha, and there is no fighting or squabbling at all.

Then I had a doosy of an accident when riding, from a mare I did not train, and changed a girth... which slipped. As most already know about that accident, will not go into it again

Knock on wood, never an accident with a mini.

A hoofprint to the thigh (my fault), a concussion (my fault) and most recently, a broken hip, pelvis, other hip, and tailbone from a rear gone awry!

All from ponies, not minis.

Kicked in the butt by a big horse. Toes stepped on. Horse ran backwards and slipped on top of me and broke my leg. Dropped a set of clippers on my barefoot fresh sharp blades landed straight into the top of my foot. Rasped my hand open 203844488383 times while trimming.

And my latest (not sure if horse related enough or not...) I cut my thumb off with a circular saw building a stable! Phew. How am I still walking lol

Kicked in the butt by a big horse. Toes stepped on. Horse ran backwards and slipped on top of me and broke my leg. Dropped a set of clippers on my barefoot fresh sharp blades landed straight into the top of my foot. Rasped my hand open 203844488383 times while trimming.

And my latest (not sure if horse related enough or not...) I cut my thumb off with a circular saw building a stable! Phew. How am I still walking lol
Whew! How ARE you still walking?
default_wink.png
Just the ones you listed sound horrible. I think I'm just a few behind you on the rasping "injuries".

Many years ago (while a senior in HS) thrown by my barrel horse 1/4 mile from home, tore some stuff inside my knee. Healed up and 20 years later had a "poplatyle cyst" on the back of my knee that had to be surgically removed.

Fast forward to 1995 - kicked in the knee by a 29" stallion and hyper-extended it. 3 arthroscopic surgeries and 14 years later, bit the bullet and had a total knee replacement.

This one is sorta horse related. Sleeping in my camper at a show. Got up in the middle of the night to go to the restroom, didn't tie my tennis shoes. Slipped getting back into the camper. Shoe flew off, bare toe came down on the license plate and cut off the end of my toe. So here I am at 2:00 AM, toenail sticking up and bleeding like a stuck pig. Found a bottle of water and washed it off, pushed the toenail back down. Found a clean wet-wipe and wrapped my toe. Found some duct tape and secured it and did manage to go back to sleep. My good friend Jodie was at the show, she's an R.N. Gave me what-fur for not waking her up, and cleaned the toe up. And I managed to stuff my foot inside my boot and show horses all day but I was saying a few choice words at my own stupidity during the day as I limped around the arena.

Oh, and many years ago I had a 1200 lb. bronc of a riding horse go up in the air and over backwards with me in the saddle. Managed to try to push myself off enough so that he landed on the fleshy part of my thigh and not on the bone...but that bruise lasted 3 months. Got back on him and rode him until he was ready to quit fighting.

I have to wonder... how some of us are still up and walking around! Yikes people!

Jean, You duct taped your toe back on!!! Oh my goodness! That one made me cringe. How does the toe look now? And Aliasmel, I think I'm behind you in the knuckle rasping, but I have wised up just a little and always wear latex-dipped gloves
default_smile.png
They have saved my life! Gotta protect hands and wrists from rasps and hoofknives!

Latest posts

Back